• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Online Fortean Groups

The only way you're going to find out is to create the topic.

What terrible thing can happen except that your opening post receives no replies? But I DON'T believe that will be the case.

Are Graylien's Cosmic Joker website and the Order of Watchers forum both now defunct?

The first gets a "Server Not Found" and the second brings up nothing but advertisements for homes for sale, apartments for rent, travel tickets, used cars and so on.

OldTimeRadio said:
The only way you're going to find out is to create the topic.

What terrible thing can happen except that your opening post receives no replies? But I DON'T believe that will be the case.

I thought that was , what the human condition section was for though ?

cranionaut said:

Of course "The Human Condition" is where medical anomalies topics/threads belong and that's where I assume you will post it if you decide to do so.

OldTimeRadio said:
cranionaut said:

Of course "The Human Condition" is where medical anomalies topics/threads belong and that's where I assume you will post it if you decide to do so.

Isnt that what the human condition is about though ?

ie. what the point of creating thread thats the same as the subject ?

Thats what I was confused about ..

cranionaut said:
Isnt that what the human condition is about though ?

ie. what the point of creating thread thats the same as the subject ?

Thats what I was confused about ..

The "Human Condition" section covers hundreds of individual topics. So if there is not already a "Medical Anomalies" topic in existence (use the search feature), of the type you desire, that's the place to start it.

OK guys, seeing as it's OK to post linkies here. This is the website my friend is currently building.

randomstrangeness.co.uk
Link is dead.

It's only a few weeks old and is still very much a work in progress. We'd be really happy if anyone wants to pop over and check us out. Thanks for listening. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Maleficence said:
www.randomstrangeness.co.uk

It's only a few weeks old and is still very much a work in progress. We'd be really happy if anyone wants to pop over and check us out. Thanks for listening. :D
Well, I haven't read a word of it yet, but here's a knee-jerk response -

"Oh no! Another website with coloured text on dark pages!"

The human race has got by for millenia with dark ink on white(ish) pages, and that seems to work pretty well, so why is it that in these computerised times people start using other formats? (Just to be different, presumably, and just because they can...?)

Personally, I find light text on a dark background hard to read. (In books, as well as on screen.)

Furthermore, most of the crankiest sites on the internet use weird and extravagant mixtures of colours and fonts, so much so that at a single glance I'll assume (maybe wrongly... :roll: ) that such a site is at least halfway to barking mad.

OK, rant over. Now I'll go back and try to read some of it..... 8)

That's what I like, Rynner. Sod the content of the site, it's the presentation which drives you nutty!

Had a further look...

The three stories under Random Headlines don't seem to have any links to their sources. (The headlines are underlined, which makes them look like links, but they aren't.)

Stormkhan said:
That's what I like, Rynner. Sod the content of the site, it's the presentation which drives you nutty!
As I said, it was a knee-jerk response!

But (as your parents, teachers, and various other mentors may have told you), First Impressions do matter.

If you turn up for an interview for an important job dressed as a clown, you're unlikely to be taken seriously. (Unless the job is being a clown! :D )

And imagine you go down to the newsagents one day, and find that your favourite paper has decided to go for white text on black paper - would you continue to read it?

So, yes, if the presentation gets in the way of the content, it's counterproductive.

rynner said:
If you turn up for an interview for an important job dressed as a clown, you're unlikely to be taken seriously.

* slaps face * So that's the reason I was always under-employed! Rynner, where were you when I needed you?

I agree with you that the site is in woeful need of citations.

And why is it that so many developers of Fortean and Paranormal websites seem to believe that information must be conveyed via reddish letters on a black background?

While I have bookmarked and will fully search this site (probably later this evening) I prefer sites that don't give me headaches.

Oh, I agree that presentation is important especially on web sites. The black with red text thing seems to be a Gothic / Ghostly / Paranormal theme on many sites. I suppose it's meant to be more ... er ... spooky.

Please tell me it hasn't got sepulchral organ music running in the background..

OK, having looked it over, it seems well organised, and doesn't have lots of (sorry) random capitalised words and ridiculous over-use of exclamation marks. I can live with the light text on dark background thing so long as the text is worth reading. What they do need to be careful of is the quality of comments following articles or submissions: if 50% of them read "OMG!!!11! thats soo freeky!!!" then it detracts from the main story quite alarmingly.

Anyway, good luck to them :).

stuneville said:
Please tell me it hasn't got sepulchral organ music running in the background.

Well, anything beats the glut of gee-whiz "paranormal" sites from just a few years back which felt driven to serenade viewers with the theme from X-FILES.

You'll never know how many times I came close to beating my cute little bunny-ear-shaped computer speakers to e-death.

Thanks for the comments guys. As I said, it's a work in progress. Bear with us! As for the forum - we do need new members. The current members are forumites we know from elsewhere that just humour us. :lol:

Here is a good online discussion forum for everything from the Occult, Religion to the Paranormal.

occultforum.proboards81.com/index.cgi
Link is dead.

Thanks, Pickle! I was wholly unaware of this one. I've just registered and now have to check for my activation email.

And welcome to the festivities. I wish my first posting here had been as rewarding as yours!

Sincerely,

Old Time Radio (George Wagner in Cincinnati, Ohio USA)

Has anyone yet mentioned aliensthetruth.com ?

In spite of the name this is a LOT more than merely UFOs.

I read last week that "Paranormal Tavern" will soon be shutting down, probably for good.

A shame, for while the group never entirely took off, I had expected really great things from it.

And it had such a great splash panel!

I would like to start a support group for suicidal pseudo skeptics & atheists , would any one like to join ?

Weapons Not Included :twisted:

What will you call your group? Die Hard To Believe? Finding It Hard To Believe We're In Heaven? I Can't Believe It's Not An Afterlife?

rynner said:
Maleficence said:
www.randomstrangeness.co.uk

Well, I haven't read a word of it yet, but here's a knee-jerk response -

"Oh no! Another website with coloured text on dark pages!"

Furthermore, most of the crankiest sites on the internet use weird and extravagant mixtures of colours and fonts, so much so that at a single glance I'll assume (maybe wrongly... :roll: ) that such a site is at least halfway to barking mad.

OK, rant over. Now I'll go back and try to read some of it..... 8)

So you'll be happy to discover this Web page is defunkt now! :p

SO guys i thought i would let you all know about my site. It covers everything from religion to the paranormal.

paganoccult.proboards.com/index.cgi
Link is dead.

Oh dont worry i will be :) i have been waiting long enough to get my account activated lol

apart from the geordie fortean and steve ash's ufo facebook groups, are there any general Fortean facebook groups?

ta

Back