• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Online Parapsychology Course

titch

Justified & Ancient
I have been looking at doing an online course, i had been thinking of going for one i had seen on facebook, thinking i was bound to learn SOMETHING useful, but a ghost hunting book mentioned edinburgh university has an online course.
https://koestlerunit.wordpress.com/online-course/
There are no exams so it seems good for somebody like me who is academically challenged (ie a bit thick) and i recognize some of the "tutors" so do you think it is something worth doing?

The certificate is just for show, but does the course itself look worthwhile?

It looks interesting, though not cheap at £250GBP/$320USD/€284EUR.

is the koestler seat still in existence ?
I thought it was....in any case, note that the parapsychology website links back to the official Staff page at Edinburgh University website http://www.ed.ac.uk/ppls/psychology

Aha....the official JANET website http://www.koestler-parapsychology.psy.ed.ac.uk/ links-out to the same Wordpress website you've referenced above. So, for me, that shows the course is probably legitimate, and fully-supported by Edinburgh University.

Also see
http://www.ed.ac.uk/ppls/psychology/prospective/postgraduate/research-programmes/parapsychology

Last edited:
Last edited:
it was either that one or this one which i believe is based in scumbag collage.
2017-06-25 20.10.39.png

What?! It's actually officially registered as a Learning Provider???
https://www.ukrlp.co.uk

This is disgraceful- it appears somehow to be almost legitimate!! This is almost like having Buffy the Vampire Slayer supported by the Surgeon General! Or Peter Cushing being made available (again) on the NHS

Introduction to the UKRLP
The UK Register of Learning Providers is a 'one-stop' portal to be used by government departments, agencies, learners, and employers to share key information about learning providers. The UKRLP allows providers to update their information in one place and share this across agencies such as the Skills Funding Agency, the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) and UCAS.

Since provider registration opened on 1st August 2005, the UKRLP has grown to over 30,000 providers. Each of these has been verified against a recognised external source and has been allocated a UK Provider Reference Number (UKPRN). This is the unique identifier used to share information with the UKRLP partner agencies.

But wait.....we're saved.
Accreditation
The UKRLP does not quality assure or accredit in any way the learning provision of the provider.

They knocked £101 off the price? Something tells me they're having problems with selling that course.

Something tells me they're having problems with selling that course.
They foresaw that.

No, this appears to be a budget non-Koestler version. I suspect it'll be a bit less rigorous in it's marking schemae than Edinburgh Uni, and they'll probably accept all sorts of wacky excuses for late submission of assignments ("a demon ate my 1500 word essay on multiple possessions, and I can't channel a new one until my broadband is sorted")

All logged in and ready to go, but it seems lots of the other students have degrees in well brainy bod stuff. I fear I am out of my depth.

Now I just need epona to declare himself so I can copy from him.

All logged in and ready to go, but it seems lots of the other students have degrees in well brainy bod stuff. I fear I am out of my depth.

Now I just need epona to declare himself so I can copy from him.

how much did you end paying in the end?

The blog is posted on the uni website, but professor titch has decided to submit his paper on theories of psi to this esteemed publication for peer review, it was here or "nature" and here has better jokes.

I have no idea, its all quantum aint it?

There are many theories about psi, the main split being demonstrated at the beginning of chapter 8 off the course handbook, "it should be noted at the outset that attention is to be focused upon scientific rather then mystical theories" I would argue that since human beings are (even if they will deny it) spiritual beings it is missing a major part of the puzzle not look for answers in any place they can be found, it may be much harder, perhaps impossible to integrate the mystical and scientific aspects of psi, but would a more holistic approach, for all its doubt and difficulty not be potentially more rewarding then a pure scientific approach?

On a similar note am i the only person on the course that was surprised by the treatment of jung? If i am thinking of a close friend and that person phones up then yes, thats just a coincidence , but if a patient is describing a scarab beetle that she dreamed off ,and a similar beetle then knocks up against jungs window then surely thats a MEANINGFUL coincidence?

Mystic theories are not mentioned, jung is treated in an off hand way , but to my untutored eyes quantum mechanics seem just as outlandish, not that i disbelieve it, i just struggle to understand it. An atom has an infinite number of potential states, observation makes it collapse into one state. So you have a box with millions of billions of cats, the cats could be alive, dead. angry and going to shred the face from the first sap to open the box, happy its in a box, wondering when food is coming, or more likely just sleeping. It is not until the box is opened that the state of the cat is decided. At this point i would like to introduce schimdt's model of esp, but since i have no idea about quantum indeterminacy of neural processes of the brain i probably shouldn't . Schimdt thinks that state of the cat can influenced by a strong psi source, so the cat can be changed into a lovely purring ball of fluff that just wants its belly rubbed, before the box is opened.

I have been strongly influenced by the writings of Hilary Evans, in his books he builds up the theory of the "producer" using the same machinery as dreams, it is always running, sometimes in the background, sometimes to the fore. It is responsible for encounters with aliens, gods, demons, ghosts or whatever else the subconscious knows a person needs, even if they do not know themselves. Part of the producer is what evans calls "super esp" this is always scanning, like a radar, and is responsible for glimpses of the future and perceiving (or receiving) crisis apparitions.

Finally (hurrah!!! i hear you all cry) does a theory need to be either or? ending where i started should parapsychology not try for a holistic approach, with meaningful coincidence, archetypes , the producer ,quantum mechanics, spirituality, conformance theory, morphic resonance and anything else that may help give us answers , being considered worth looking at as a whole?

well it's all done and i will stick my neck out and say i think i did not disgrace myself, but responding to other students blogs when they were so full of jargon and referencing studies a lay titch never had a chance to read, nevermind understand, brought me close on occasion. The main thing i have learned is how ignorant i am, and that's never a bad thing to know.
Further positives have been how i managed to reference babylon 5 and the fortean times, in fact the top women said she is going to have a look at this month's issue ,as she had never heard of the animals in the haunted house experiment.

Back