Online Tulpa Communities

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Has anyone ever come across these? For example, https://www.reddit.com/r/tulpas

It turns out the concept of the tulpa has mutated in this digital age and means something new to a whole generation of (what seem to me to be) inward-looking, fantasy-prone teenagers. Their tulpas often seem highly influenced by anime cartoons (check out the drawing threads). They often talk to each other in character as their tulpas [in square brackets] (or their tulpas really talk to each other, who am I to judge). A lot of them post about having romantic or sexual relationships with their tulpas. There's quite a lot of jargon about 'tulpaforcing' and 'wonderlands'.

I don't believe in the literal reality of these beings, though I imagine that the subjective reality of them to their tulpamancers varies on a case-by-case basis. What I'm interested in is how this quite involved culture has arisen and perpetuated.

Here's an article from Vice: The Internet's Newest Subculture Is All About Creating Imaginary Friends

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
Interesting. So this is the imbuing of projected parallel fantasy versions of themselves with a pseudo-corporeal reality, and then encouraging these inflamed instances to interact (or be described as interacting) within a shared thought-space?

As long as they can continue to interact on the offline physical plane of existence as well as the aspirational / inspirational one, then all will be well.

Because this can all be viewed as being an extended phase of the post-toddler / peri-kindergarten interactive fantasia play-acting stage.

I've been recently told that it's judgemental and patronising to express concerns regarding someone's mental states (eg it is not acceptable to miscall a viewed individual's OCD behaviour *even in the third person* ie outwith their awareness, as it is being patronising and dismissive).

I do see massive potential pitfalls with this metatulpa tribal activity, though. You see, there I go again. Sheer mental-state fascism. Or: maybe I'm right to worry

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
Interesting. So this is the imbuing of projected parallel fantasy versions of themselves with a pseudo-corporeal reality, and then encouraging these inflamed instances to interact (or be described as interacting) within a shared thought-space?
Isn't this called "psychosis"?

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
Isn't this called "psychosis"?
There's a thin line between extreme fandom and mental illness, for sure.

The intermediate facilitative technologies also act as something of a fig-leaf.

I'm convinced that some real percentage of the people I see in the street (wearing massive headphones) shouting loudly in mid-air, are actually talking to their own diaries (or a photograph of Jeremy Kyle).

James_H

And I like to roam the land
In my honest opinion, I think most of this is pretending mixed with wishful thinking rather than mental illness. However I'm sure that some in the community are mentally ill.