• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Only A Rap 'Artist' Could Be This Thick

I recall on an early spoken word performance Henry Rollins calling out Ice cube / Ice T (can't recall which it was). He said along the lines of 'put the gun down and its you and me on the car park. That man is going down'. I think that he may have mellowed a bit now.

This is a much better way of fighting, if it really has to be done.

A black eye, a couple of popped ribs, maybe some broken teeth; all good and manly, no harm done.
The loser gets a pasting but lives to fight another day, with his dignity intact.

Brawling is of course frowned upon, and rightly so. But it's better than shooting.

To be fair Rollins suffers/suffered from ADHD zs a kid. He is 6 foot four covered in tattoos and muscle. He is very intelligent but was very aggressive. I know a bloke who used to run a nightclub and was a black belt in summat. He told me years sgo that Rollins was tbe real deal. Look at his eyes he said. He ssid he wouldnt go near him. Good enough advice for me.

To be fair Rollins suffers/suffered from ADHD zs a kid. He is 6 foot four covered in tattoos and muscle. He is very intelligent but was very aggressive. I know a bloke who used to run a nightclub and was a black belt in summat. He told me years sgo that Rollins was tbe real deal. Look at his eyes he said. He ssid he wouldnt go near him. Good enough advice for me.
Rollins is just short of psychotic. He needs to chill.
He is very intelligent, I think - yes.

He has chilled an awful lot now. But he was a dangerous man to meet years ago. He owns his own publishing company and has produced books written by Tom Waits and Nick Cave amongst others. He also owns his own music company.

He campaigns for gay rights in the U.S. and equality in general. I've seen t-shirts that read "Rollins for President".

In my mid 20's I identified with a lot of stuff he wrote about, I was in a dark place and some of that gave me some kind of support and strength to see shit through. I can roughly quote an ad lib from one of his live gigs "If you see someone on there own out there, make it cool for someone you don't know. 'Cos that's when we stop living like pigs and live like human beings."

He has done and said many reprehensible things in the past. But I have to admire a personal journey that has seen him go from a potential long term prisoner to a workaholic person with his own businesses and I guess got over personal demons.

Back