• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Only A Rap 'Artist' Could Be This Thick

Telling jokes and riding about on a skateboard. That's talented.

Only a wrap 'artist' could be this thick

bad-wrapping-duct-tape.jpg

Reminds me of Lou Reed's oft- (and best-) forgotten foray into rap:

Swifty And Mr Ring

Thanks for those links, brought back a lot of nice memories.
We must be similar ages as I grew up listening to those tracks too.
From the "Drum Machine Era" of Hip Hop.

The only caveat is about Planet Rock, which great track though it is, and musically important track too, in hindsight the musicians who made it included two armed robbers and a paedophile.
Sobering.

I'm a white guy who went to a middle class African American high school (the other white students hovering between 5-8 any given year, with my two brothers being part of that number), and thus rap is a big part of my growing up. I was in the 8th grade when the Message was really hitting big. I was in the marching band, and we used to have members of the drum team who would bring a beatbox to and from games, so most games in that 8th grade I head the Message coming and going from band games (the clean cut version - it wasn't until years later that I found out what people "did" on the station they just didn't care! :) ). For the 5 years I was in the band, I heard a great deal of what Swifty did blasted from the back of the school bus while traveling- Freaks Come Out At Night, Roxanne Roxanne, Doug E Fresh's The Show (my nickname for a few years around this time was Doug E Fresh, as my real first name is Doug).

If you were into rap at this time, I'm sure you heard this blaring out of a car speaker from time to time - the Cars That Go Boom!

I don't even have to hit play for that one:

We like the cars
The cars that go boom
We're Tigre, and Bunny
and we like the boom.

I recall on an early spoken word performance Henry Rollins calling out Ice cube / Ice T (can't recall which it was). He said along the lines of 'put the gun down and its you and me on the car park. That man is going down'. I think that he may have mellowed a bit now.
Indiana Jones and the swordsman picture goes here...

Swifty And Mr Ring

Thanks for those links, brought back a lot of nice memories.
We must be similar ages as I grew up listening to those tracks too.
From the "Drum Machine Era" of Hip Hop.

The only caveat is about Planet Rock, which great track though it is, and musically important track too, in hindsight the musicians who made it included two armed robbers and a paedophile.
Sobering.
Thanks but that went creepy super fast .. 808 drum machine to get back on track if you please .. (which one from Planet Rock was a convicted nonce?) .. "and nothing sounds quite like an *)*" ... 808

Last edited:
Swifty

Yes, the 808 kick is awesome!

You will have to do a bit of reading up on Bambaataa.
Big cover-up.
Now formally expelled from The Zulu Nation and basically excommunicated from Hip Hop, Flash refused to even acknowledge his existence in a recent interview.
Though with the statute of limitations expired Bam has not been tried in a law court, yet.

Swifty

Yes, the 808 kick is awesome!

You will have to do a bit of reading up on Bambaataa.
Big cover-up.
Now formally expelled from The Zulu Nation and basically excommunicated from Hip Hop, Flash refused to even acknowledge his existence in a recent interview.
Though with the statute of limitations expired Bam has not been tried in a law court, yet.
Blimey ! not Bambaataa :eek: ... I will have to do some catching up ...

Really coming around to the idea he's just doing this to get attention. A year ago, no one even knew who this guy was. Now he's part of mainstream discussion
This song was hard to avoid a few years ago.

Huh, was that the one that hit it big? Even the people I know who are into this genre hadn't heard of him.
I take it back then.
He only had that one as a hit as far as I know, but that one was a big one. Probably got more airplay on top 40 stations than rap/hip hop stations.

I'm a white guy who went to a middle class African American high school (the other white students hovering between 5-8 any given year, with my two brothers being part of that number), and thus rap is a big part of my growing up. I was in the 8th grade when the Message was really hitting big. I was in the marching band, and we used to have members of the drum team who would bring a beatbox to and from games, so most games in that 8th grade I head the Message coming and going from band games (the clean cut version - it wasn't until years later that I found out what people "did" on the station they just didn't care! :) ). For the 5 years I was in the band, I heard a great deal of what Swifty did blasted from the back of the school bus while traveling- Freaks Come Out At Night, Roxanne Roxanne, Doug E Fresh's The Show (my nickname for a few years around this time was Doug E Fresh, as my real first name is Doug).

If you were into rap at this time, I'm sure you heard this blaring out of a car speaker from time to time - the Cars That Go Boom!

I was also really heavily into R&B of the time, with acts like the Gap Band, Chaka Khan (let me rock you let me rock you Chaka Khan), Patrice Rushen, Cameo, George Clinton, Mtume, the Jets, Zapp/Roger, Klymaxx, the Pointer Sisters, Kool & the Gang, and Prince if you consider him only r&b. I consider him Prince music, his own category!

And a quick fortean bit of r&b: I always thought that Midnight Star's Freakazoid was almost a cult initiative, or a movement towards higher consciousness. The part of the song where where they seems to sonicly enter another world and the "Midnight Star" voice came on was particularly cool - and probably sounds dated and silly to modern ears.

I love Chaka, Prince, Zapp etc so I am 100% going to check all of these artists out!

Really coming around to the idea he's just doing this to get attention. A year ago, no one even knew who this guy was. Now he's part of mainstream discussion
B.OB was know by people, but now he has definitely increased his visibility though most of it is people having a go at him on Twitter!

Swifty

I never really bought into the idea of "Gangster Rap" but Ice T or Schoolly D made songs about drugs/guns/gangs before Eric B and Rakim.

Ice T's "Killers" from 1984 or Schoolly D "PSK - What Does It Mean?" from 1985 for early examples.

Agree that Rakim took things up a notch in terms of rhyming...the way he consistently rhymed syllables within sentences was a game changer, though not without precedent... Ramellzee, Melle Mel and Grandmaster Caz had done bits of that from 82 - 84.

Last edited:
Here are some links to Tube versions of some prime hits from those most excellent artists.
Cameo:

George Clinton:

Klymaxx:

The Jets:

Whodini:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxwrLLlQwBw

The Pointer Sisters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5EGN3O5Rs8

Kool and the Gang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qchPLaiKocI
I'd class them as 'pop hop' but I'm not a snob and some of them were OK ... 'Friends' by Whodini was good though IMO, I've used the advice in these lyrics www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxni-FM-UVA

Hey, it's what we listed to. I don't think we thought of r&b as anything other than r&b at the time. Maybe you'll like more of this sound:

Slick Rick & Dougie Fresh:

UTFO:

The Real Roxanne:

Roxanne Shante:

Force M.D's

Last edited:
Back