• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ooh-Err... Nasty House

If it is bugging you, you could perform an exorcism. Or is that NSFW? A good dose of ritual magic is often very efficacious.

I've always had a relaxed attitude when it comes to "them". I'm not going to fuck about when I'm dealing with them. If they for whatever reason exist in a place then it's not my place to try and move them on - I also don't know enough about the "afterlife" to try and help spirits to move on.

Thank AlchoPawn - appreciate you're thoughts, as I always do, so I'm not being shitty. I just feel the need to leave things alone.

Last edited:
My favourite recurring dream is of a house where I'm living which turns out to have lots of rooms that I didn't know about

Reminded me of an old post on B3ta and I would love to give due acknowledgments if there was any chance of finding it again.
Before he was born, the poster's parents moved to a small flat that was part of an old Seminary conversion - more precisely it was in the long dormitory block where the Priests-in-training had once slept. His heavily pregnant mother had tasked his father with converting a small box room into a Nursery. She was shoo'd to bed early with a promise that he and his brother would work through the night to get the room re-decorated. After a few bevvies the men set to work stripping off the old wall paper. Underneath they uncovered what looked like the outline of a door - completely sealed with no frame, no hinges or doorknob but there was a blocked keyhole. With mounting excitement they debated where it could lead to - a cupboard, another room ? - that would give the flat invaluable extra storage space. Then there was the problem of how to open it - weighing up the limited options they shoulder-barged it until it caved in with a resounding crash.
What was on the other side ? - a poor old sod in his armchair in the neighbouring flat staring at two eejits through a door-size hole in his sitting room wall paper. Obviously.

My weird little workplace had another minor oddity. I got back around 4:15am and went in to the main area next to which is the staff kitchen. There was a distinct smell of recently made toast that vanished as soon as I got closer to the kitchen. As always I was the only one who been there since 22:30. I'm the only one allowed in that building at night.

Sat at my desk at night recently which is about a metre away from the outside door I heard footsteps on the gravel which borders my office then two steps pass my door then nothing.

I was up a second later opened the door and nobody there. It's impossible anyone could have ran around the side of the building to my left and I checked the lawn to the right which is fenced in and goes nowhere and that was empty too.

I recreated it and you have to try hard to hit the gravel as it has paving stones that act as a path. You would have to have quite small feet.

I contacted the nearby buildings and none of the staff were outside at that time.

My building is not on a route that would be used by anyone except me and I'm all alone.

Nobody without a silent jetpack could have vanished from my sight it's impossible. We have excellent lighting too.

Even if someone sprinted when I opened the door I should have still heard them. If the steps had carried on they would have been a maximum of 3 meters away.

Last edited:
Sat at my desk at night recently which is about a metre away from the outside door I heard footsteps on the gravel which boaders my office then two steps pass my door then nothing.

I was up a second later opened the door and nobody there. It's impossible anyone could have run around the side of the building to my left and I checked the lawn to the right which is fenced in and goes nowhere and that was empty too.

I recreated it and you have to try hard to hit the gravel as it has paving stones that act as a path.You would have to have quite small feet.

I asked the nearby buoldings and none of the staff were outside at that time.

My building is not on a route that would be used by anyone except me and I'm all alone.

Nobody without a silent jetpack could have vanished from my sight it's impossible. We have excellant lighting too.

Even if someone sprinted when I opened the door I should have still heard them. If the steps had carried on they would have been a maximum of 3 meters away.
Reminds me of what happened to a couple I knew years ago.
When I first visited them, I was baffled that they didn't use their front door. Inside, they had it hidden behind a thick curtain.
They told me that it was a genuine 14th century door, older than the house which was probably 16th century.
I remarked that such a door must have seen a lot, maybe it was haunted?
They replied with 'we wish you hadn't brought that up'. Then they told me of the time when they heard footsteps on the gravel of the driveway approaching the door one evening, followed by a loud hammering on the door. They looked out of the window and didn't see anybody, so popped out of another door to look. Nothing there, nobody on the driveway at all.

When I first visited them, I was baffled that they didn't use their front door. Inside, they had it hidden behind a thick curtain.
They told me that it was a genuine 14th century door, older than the house which was probably 16th century.
They replied with 'we wish you hadn't brought that up'. Then they told me of the time when they heard footsteps on the gravel of the driveway approaching the door one evening, followed by a loud hammering on the door. They looked out of the window and didn't see anybody, so popped out of another door to look. Nothing there, nobody on the driveway at all.

The strange thing about this is that if we are to accept it was a ghost, that means the gravel as well as the door must be haunted/playing back a time-loop.
Is this a haunted object or a haunted location?
The gravel wasn't there in the 14thC* and there's no guarantee that the door was either( I wonder if the door came from a former house on the site or a completely different location ).

*Was gravel used for paths around properties back then? Also, just because we have dates going back six hundred years doesn't mean it can't be a ghost from the 1890's.

The strange thing about this is that if we are to accept it was a ghost, that means the gravel as well as the door must be haunted/playing back a time-loop.
Is this a haunted object or a haunted location?
The gravel wasn't there in the 14thC* and there's no guarantee that the door was either( I wonder if the door came from a former house on the site or a completely different location ).

*Was gravel used for paths around properties back then? Also, just because we have dates going back six hundred years doesn't mean it can't be a ghost from the 1890's.
I think the door was rescued from another old building and put in place because it fitted and looked suitably old.
The gravel at that place was recent.

That house with the door wasn't in Herefordshire was it? A relative of mine tells a very similar story!
Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire. They don't live there now - they were renting the place.

Could it have been a large, aggressive bird? I've heard crows stomp around on the roof in some places I've lived. Crows and ravens often walk around like they can't be bothered to fly. Maybe some lead foot corvid came up the walkway and knocked on the door, expecting to be fed?

l have more than once experienced loud noises in houses that were attributable to wildlife:

1. Aviemore, Scotland: We were staying in an old lodge that had a pine marten living in the roof. “Wonderful!” l hear you all cry. Not really: the lodge had a tiled roof, and every morning at sparrow fart, Mr. Marten would walk across said tiles. lmagine being woken in the small hours every day by an infant bashing on the keys of a Fisher-Price toy piano: Pinky-ponky-pinky-panky-pinky-ponk...

2. lsle of Skye: Somewhere, on a CD, DVD or drive, l have a short film of a young seagull standing on our windowsill, knocking hard and repeatedly on our window with his beak. l can only imagine that he was trying to induce “the other gull” to feed him.

maximus otter

Last edited:
Scary houses I’ve been in a few. First story one of the first jobs I had when leaving school was for a painter and decorator lovely bloke enjoyed working for him.Anywhoo he had bought a large old house to convert in to flats.
The place was okay to start with then as we started knocking it about it got weirder.
So the guy goes on holiday it was august leaving me to paint the rooms etc. Beautiful august morning and I am undercoating the skirting boards in the upstairs corridor radio on listening to the songs etc.
When i turn around to see the paint pot floating down the corridor about 5/6inches off the floor only way out is past the bloody thing.So i scuttled in to the front bedroom and climbed onto the bay window and climbed/fell in to the front garden.Never been so frightened in my life.The hairs on my arms are standing up now recalling it.

Scary houses I’ve been in a few. First story one of the first jobs I had when leaving school was for a painter and decorator lovely bloke enjoyed working for him.Anywhoo he had bought a large old house to convert in to flats.
The place was okay to start with then as we started knocking it about it got weirder.
So the guy goes on holiday it was august leaving me to paint the rooms etc. Beautiful august morning and I am undercoating the skirting boards in the upstairs corridor radio on listening to the songs etc.
When i turn around to see the paint pot floating down the corridor about 5/6inches off the floor only way out is past the bloody thing.So i scuttled in to the front bedroom and climbed onto the bay window and climbed/fell in to the front garden.Never been so frightened in my life.The hairs on my arms are standing up now recalling it.

That is beyond anything I've seen or felt. Great post!

Hi NF although it wasn’t a one off occurrence it isn’t as scary as what you are going through i don’t think I would have the nerves to go through that on a night time. I would hide under the desk till my shift was over :omg:
Most stupidest scary thing what happened to me and my mate Paul. Paul was a plumber and had got a job installing a new central heating system/toilets/showers etc in an old victorian house in the middle of nowhere.
One Saturday morning we were there venting all the new radiators done most of the house and we were stood in a big bay window in the upper floor just chatting when we heard this weird moaning sighing gasping sound behind us.
We looked at each other and ran for the door two big lads trying to squeeze through at the same time screaming and gibbering with fear.turns out it was the blokes ma-in-law who had arrived the night before

That is freaky. Did you go back there to continue work & did anything else occur? Did the paint spill, or what happened to it?

That story rang a couple of very faint bells in my memory - and I'm glad to see that it isn't quite as totally bollixed as a I sometimes think it is:

'ghost' doors?

Hi hunck yup I had to go back inside.When I climbed out of the window and into the garden the next door neighbours were watching me.The man asked me what on earth I was doing and I said at first it was a wasp or bee i was escaping from they both looked at me as if to say yeah right..
After talking to them both for a while I said right I’ve got to get back to work.
The man said I will come in with you I thought thank god we went inside and the paint pot was on the third step down from the landing.He could see me staring at the pot and then asked what happened so I told him we then went upstairs and we could see the rings of paint on the floor boards.Then they stopped? But there was a ring of paint on the step.He then told me that his wife and himself heard voices arguing and shouting at night on a regular basis in the house when it was empty .post is quite long so can write more later if you like

Hi hunck yup I had to go back inside.When I climbed out of the window and into the garden the next door neighbours were watching me.The man asked me what on earth I was doing and I said at first it was a wasp or bee i was escaping from they both looked at me as if to say yeah right..
After talking to them both for a while I said right I’ve got to get back to work.
The man said I will come in with you I thought thank god we went inside and the paint pot was on the third step down from the landing.He could see me staring at the pot and then asked what happened so I told him we then went upstairs and we could see the rings of paint on the floor boards.Then they stopped? But there was a ring of paint on the step.He then told me that his wife and himself heard voices arguing and shouting at night on a regular basis in the house when it was empty .post is quite long so can write more later if you like

I would like - please do.

Hi hunck here goes then I didn’t tell these stories earlier because I thought the other members might think I’ve read their stories and copied them.But I have not I admit I am a total believer because of what happened to me.
We would put tools down only for them to be moved or disappear then turn up later.The guy I worked for did not believe in anything like that at all just ignored it or made an excuse (mainly me taking it etc) until one day we were sat down stairs having a tea break.We had put a false wall up so it divided the room we were sat in and put a kitchen in it
So both sat facing the door and we both noticed that a dust sheet was being slowly dragged across the open door way.Left to right this went on for a good two minutes at least we were just sat there open mouthed.
Then it just stopped we both turned to each stunned.Then he says go see what it was doing that.I bet you can guess my reply.

Just remembered one last thing about the house well two really.We were at the property one day the guy I worked for his wife who was a no nonsense and as honest as a person you could meet.Anyway he was showing a person round the bed sits and called down to his wife to join him she pulled a face and told her daughter to stay with me.I said you’re mum didn’t look happy and the girl said that her mummy had seen a ghost in the house.I asked the wife later what she had seen and after a bit of persuasion she said she had seen a young lad/teenager stood watching her when she was putting some curtains up. I asked what did he look like.A young man in a white shirt and dark brown/black trousers with braces on he moved to his left and was gone.She then legged it home.Now when the guy next door came in with me apart from the shouting they heard had seen the same person looking out of the down stairs bay window.

Hi naughty felid any updates about your spooky experiences :p I wonder if any body living in a haunted house is experiencing a increase in activity in lockdown.
Hope everyone is doing okay and coping well.

I used to live just outside St. Andrews and occasionally had to venture across the bridge to Dundee. Quite often I had to walk past what was once obviously a quite attractive property, in an absolutely prime location just a short walk from the city centre, that was steadily falling into disrepair over the years. Although potentially worth a fortune it just wasn’t being taken on by anybody and it absolutely gave off an uncomfortable vibe which I just put down to it being so run down......that was until I found out that it was the infamous Dundee murder house. I’d put up a link to it’s unfortunate history but I’m not that IT savvy.

I used to live just outside St. Andrews and occasionally had to venture across the bridge to Dundee. Quite often I had to walk past what was once obviously a quite attractive property, in an absolutely prime location just a short walk from the city centre, that was steadily falling into disrepair over the years. Although potentially worth a fortune it just wasn’t being taken on by anybody and it absolutely gave off an uncomfortable vibe which I just put down to it being so run down......that was until I found out that it was the infamous Dundee murder house. I’d put up a link to it’s unfortunate history but I’m not that IT savvy.
How to put up a link:
Go onto the web page.
Use the mouse to select the web page address as it appears in a text box at the top of the browser window.
Press Ctrl and C keys or right-click and select 'Copy'.
In the post here, click the chain-link icon and paste in the web page address with the Ctrl and V keys (or right-click and select 'Paste').

Back