• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Oompa Loompas" sought by Police

What did he do? Steal their chocolate? :shock:

It's like my whole childhood is unravelling. I wouldn't be be surprised if the next thing was the cast of Stingray featuring in an anti-smoking campaign.

Reminds me of the Smurf panics of a few years ago...

Isn't there a saying "Normal for Norfolk"? I think it applies here...

Ah, yes - NFN. Used extensively on medical notes by doctors in the area.

If you go into a Norfolk clothes shop and ask for a pair of gloves, the assistant will ask 'How many fingers?'

Ahh, Norfolk! Just when I think you can't suprise me anymore...

Some progress perhaps.

Three men charged over Norwich 'Oompa Loompas attack'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-21899163

Police investigating an assault involving people dressed as Oompa Loompas, as portrayed in the film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, have charged three men.

Officers appealed for information following an incident at a kebab shop in Norwich on 27 December.

A 28-year-old man suffered cuts and bruises in the attack.

The men have each been charged with two counts of assault causing actually bodily harm.

They are Matthew Wright, 20, of Decoy Road, Potter Heigham; Matthew Watling, 19, of Lighthouse Close, Happisburgh; and Louis Gelinas, 20, of Rectory Road, Sutton.

All three have been released on bail and are due to appear before Norwich magistrates on 8 April.

Oompa Loompa do ba de doo
we've got a prison sentence for you
Oompa Loompa do ba de dee
you'll get six months,be out in three.

where they little guys? or average hight? i'd really like it if rogue groups of small people were dressing up as 'loompas and tall-beating.

Not that great a problem apparently: Normal For Norfolk.

Oompa Loompa Norwich street brawl men freed on appeal
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-25208284

Louis Gelinas and Matthew Wright were dressed as Oompa Loompas in Norwich's Prince of Wales Road nightclub district

A man who attacked another man on a night out while dressed as an Oompa Loompa has been freed from custody by Appeal Court judges.

Matthew Wright, 20, was sentenced in September to 10 months' youth custody for the attack in Norwich.

But three judges cut his sentence to four months on Tuesday after accepting the incident was not part of a "significant local problem".

The decision allowed Wright to walk free, having completed his sentence.

Kebab shop
Wright, of Potter Heigham, Norfolk, was sentenced at Norwich Crown Court, after pleading guilty to affray and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Louis Gelinas, 20, of Sutton, Norfolk, admitted affray and was ordered to do 240 hours of unpaid work.

Gene Wilder in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
There were 10 Oompa Loompas in the original 1971 Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory film
Both had been dressed as characters from the 1971 film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, inspired by Roald Dahl's novel.

They got into an altercation outside a kebab shop on Prince of Wales Road, Norwich, on 27 December last year.

One of the men they targeted was taken to hospital with bruising and concussion, the Appeal Court heard.

The court was also told verbal insults were hurled about the way the victims were dressed before the fight broke out.

'Late-night violence'
But Ian James, for Wright, argued the Oompa Loompas had also been insulted about their costumes.

"The assault was in part provoked and only one blow was struck, which caused a not particularly serious injury," he said.

The appeal was centred on the crown court's decision to pass a deterrent sentence, on the basis that the brawl was typical of "a local problem which required a local solution".

Lord Justice McCombe, sitting with Mr Justice Griffith Williams and Judge James Goss QC, said: "There are undoubtedly worrying incidents of late-night violence on Norwich's Prince of Wales Road, but that is not a problem unique to Norwich.

"There is no evidence that the problem is any worse there than in many cities and towns nationwide.

"We quash the sentence of 10 months and replace it with a total sentence of four months."

'Bunny girl' hunt over Moor Street train assault

A woman dressed as a bunny girl is among four people wanted by police after an assault on a train.

British Transport Police has issued CCTV pictures of the woman and three men after a group of 12 friends from Worcester were attacked in Birmingham.

Police said the group had boarded the 06:10 GMT service from the city's Moor Street station on 2 November.

Their attackers later got off at Old Hill rail station in Warley in the West Midlands, police said.

CCTV pictures of men at Moor Street station Police also want to trace three men in connection with the "unprovoked assault"

PC Brendan Gilbride, from British Transport Police, said it was shortly after getting on the train that "members of the group were subjected to an unprovoked assault by another group who were on the same train".

He said: "The train driver managed to split the two groups up and the victims left the train.

"Inquiries have been ongoing to trace those responsible...we believe all four [in the photographs] will have key information which can assist the investigation."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-25379113

Back