• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Gutted. My previous record was 9.
We had a discussion on'ere about cock rings being sold under a bogus recommendation from Ringo Starr, with a photo of him on the packaging or summat, and called 'Ring-O'.

Here's a pun-riddled account on the Classic Rock website.

Ringo Starr withdraws from Ring O cock ring battle, maintains stiff opposition to association with sex toy

Former Beatles drummer pulls out of legal action with Ring O erection ring manufacturer by mutual consent
etc

But many non-country types just look at a half-ton of animal and aren't experienced with them.
The reason I don't understand it is that they were part of a walking group, presumably countryside is what they do. Even if they have some first-time walkers, you would hope the group leader is experienced. Still, maybe not.

The reason I don't understand it is that they were part of a walking group, presumably countryside is what they do. Even if they have some first-time walkers, you would hope the group leader is experienced. Still, maybe not.
Maybe because I grew up in the country, cows have never bothered me.
I've even had them crowd round me on occasion.

You do however, hear of farmers being killed by them, so maybe a bit of flawed bravado on my part. ?

Maybe because I grew up in the country, cows have never bothered me.
I've even had them crowd round me on occasion.

You do however, hear of farmers being killed by them, so maybe a bit of flawed bravado on my part. ?
Likewise - years ago on Dartmoor I crossed a clapper bridge at the same time as a large herd of cows going in the same direction. I just pushed and shoved my way among them. On the other hand, I have had a young bull false charge me multiple times when crossing a field once - comical to look back on, because it only charged when I wasn't looking, as soon as my back was turned I would hear charging hooves, I'd turn around and the bull would come to a screeching halt with an innocent "Nothing going on here" look, only to repeat as soon as I turned around to continue across the field. Quite tense at the time though, and it seemed like the longest field crossing ever.

Likewise - years ago on Dartmoor I crossed a clapper bridge at the same time as a large herd of cows going in the same direction. I just pushed and shoved my way among them. On the other hand, I have had a young bull false charge me multiple times when crossing a field once - comical to look back on, because it only charged when I wasn't looking, as soon as my back was turned I would hear charging hooves, I'd turn around and the bull would come to a screeching halt with an innocent "Nothing going on here" look, only to repeat as soon as I turned around to continue across the field. Quite tense at the time though, and it seemed like the longest field crossing ever.
When the mutt was a pup we used to take her to a nearby area where they'd sometimes have cows roaming around.
One day we came across a calf who chased her.
Losing sight of her, I then came face to face with the calf on the path, who had decided to return the way it was originally going.

We had a stare-off for a while, then I just walked past it.

I found the dog back at the car staring up at the boot waiting for me to let her in.

Adidas have been designing the German football team kit for decades but this year they managed to make the font for the numbers look a bit rune-like. If you were to put two 4s together they rather resemble the logo of the SS. Oops.
_133058317_profile_player-960x540.jpg.webp

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68708981

Adidas has banned football fans from buying German football kits customised with the number 44, after media raised their resemblance to the symbol used by World War Two-era Nazi SS units.
"We will block personalisation of the jerseys," an Adidas spokesman said.
SS units were the most responsible for the crimes against humanity committed by the Nazis.
The newly released kit has also caused controversy with its choice of pink for the away colours.
The issue was first raised by historian Michael König, who said the design of the kits was "very questionable".

A comment on Marginal Revolution:

peri
2024-04-01 14:09:50
A friend of mine who is not, I would have said, unusually careless cut off his thumb with a table saw. Fortunately his family was there and got it quickly on ice and it was reattached. An interesting side note was that they needed leeches that were in another city and his wife drove to get them as it would be fastest.

They didn’t promise he would regain function with it, but he eventually did.

A kind thing: another friend, a medical doctor unperturbed by blood, went by while they were at the emergency room and cleaned up the horror-show blood all over the scene so they wouldn’t have that to come home to.

Viking
2024-04-01 18:43:4
The interesting thing about thumbs and fingers is that the nerves needed for motor control are all terminating in the various muscles in the lower arm, so as long as the thumb attaches, and the tendons are repaired, the prospect is pretty good.

Bungling Russian helicopter pilots reveal site of 'decoy' fighter jets painted on air bases by landing on them

Vladimir Putin’s military and Ukraine are both seeking to protect key assets, such as tanks, ships and planes, by hiding them.

One method is to paint “silhouettes” of aircraft on airfields and of ships in ports to encourage them to be attacked rather than the actual vessels or aircraft.

BB1kVTbs.img

[A briefing by the Ministry of Defence said]: “Russia has been forced to implement a number of decoy and deception techniques in an attempt to obfuscate Ukrainian targeting efforts.

“At Kirovskoe Airfield on occupied Crimea there are decoy Russian fighter aircraft painted on the concrete. However, Russian helicopters still regularly land on the painted decoy fighter silhouettes, completely undermining the deception attempt.”

https://apple.news/AkrelU7h7TgqJYXcYJ9SNTg

maximus otter

Last edited:
Five saved turtles in Blijdorp zoo dead, water too warm due to fault

Five turtles that washed ashore in the Netherlands last winter and were taken in at Blijdorp Zoo died on Friday. Due to a technical problem, the water the turtles were in had become too warm. This became fatal to the animals.

"A blow to everyone who has worked to recover the stranded animals in recent months," Blijdorp said in a statement. The zoo informed regional broadcaster Rijnmond that the animals were still alive when they were discovered by a carer, but that the water temperature had risen to 30-40 degrees and the animals could no longer be rescued. The cause was a broken sensor in one of the temporary pools.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2516908-vijf...dpadden-blijdorp-dood-water-door-fout-te-warm

Wrong couple get divorced after solicitor ‘clicks wrong button’

Solicitors at the London firm Vardags, headed by Ayesha Vardag, the self-styled “diva of divorce”, used an online portal to mistakenly apply for a final order for the couple, who were still attempting to agree financial arrangements for their split.

Sir Andrew McFarlane, the president of the family division, explained lawyers had intended to apply for a divorce for another client “but inadvertently opened the electronic case file in ‘Williams v Williams’ and proceeded to apply for a final order in that case”.

He said solicitors at Vardags, who were representing the wife, used the online portal “without the instruction or authority of their client”. He said the online system operated with “its now customary speed” and granted the order divorcing the Williamses within 21 minutes.

The solicitors realised their mistake two days later and applied to the high court to rescind the final divorce order. They described the error as being simply that of someone at Vardags “clicking the wrong button” and argued that as the final order was applied for by mistake, it should be set aside. But McFarlane rejected the application

Vardag made headlines in 2019 after sending a memo to staff banning cardigans in the office. In a new dress code issued last year, she said staff could shun the cufflinks and business suits associated with “bankers and estate agents” and wear electric blue sequined jackets and gold leather trousers to the office instead.

Back