Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Helpful Hint: If you swap someone else's urine for your own in order to pass a drug screening, make sure the other person's urine will pass the test ...

Woman gets prison for using someone else’s tainted urine
An Ohio woman might want to ask some questions if she tries to borrow someone’s urine again to pass a drug test.

WTOV-TV reports 24-year-old Kiana Wallace was sentenced to 18 months in prison Monday, in eastern Ohio’s Belmont County, after submitting a borrowed urine sample that tested positive for drugs. Wallace pleaded guilty earlier this month to attempted tampering with evidence.

Judge Frank Fregiato called the failed urine swap “bizarre” and told Wallace he wouldn’t allow her to make a mockery of the drug and alcohol testing system.

Records show Wallace was sentenced to six months in jail followed by probation in January 2017 for drug possession. ...
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/a2b3b80a0e40486d...prison-for-using-someone-else's-tainted-urine

Bigphoot2

Carbon Based Infestation
Chinese family shocked as pet dog turns out to be a bear

Evening Standard

Patrick Grafton-Green14/05/2018

A Chinese family was shocked when a pet dog they had raised for two years turned out to be a black bear.

The family bought what they thought was a Tibetan mastiff puppy while on holiday in 2016.

They realised the error when the animal would not stop growing and starting walking on two legs.

Su Yun, who lived near the city of Kunming in Yunnan province, told China News: “The more he grew, the more like a bear he looked.”

“I am a little scared of bears,” she added.
etc
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/news...-as-pet-dog-turns-out-to-be-a-bear/ar-AAxhy9C

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Surely not :wide:

Mind you I almost had my nephew convinced his Jack Russell puppy was a hamster :)
My JRT arrived shaped exactly like a melon with legs and our big dog rolled her along the floor with his nose!

I disbelieve most trivial news stories from China. They are a distraction from the regime's appalling abuse of people and animals.

Destiny.

Devoted Cultist
In the winter we were snowed in so i had to walk to my mums and leave my car at home, i also left my glasses as home as i didn't need them with not driving. Anyway on the way to mums i passed a field, there were trees and a dog stood by a tree, i thought nothing of it. I spent a few hours with mum then decided to walk home, i went the same way and was gobsmacked to see the dog was still stood by the same tree, my first thought was someone had tied him to the tree and abandoned him, so as a dog lover myself i went over to see what was going on, as i neared him he didn't move even though i was talking friendly to him, then when i was near him i realised it wasn't a dog, it was an abandoned childs rocking horse with bags of fly tipped rubbish! I couldn't move for laughing! I never leave my glasses at home anymore :doggy:

Peripart

Antediluvian
This looks like a hoax, a variation on the UL American tourists in Mexico who buy a Chihuahua pup that turns out to be a rat.
I've seen Chihuahuas. I think I'd prefer a rat.

That said, I came across a rat* in our garden the other day, and it made me jump somewhat, as I wasn't expecting the encounter, to say the least. More of a "How the F did it get in there?"...

Still preferable to a handbag dog, though.

*It may have been a filigree Siberian hamster**, of course. I only got a quick look.

**One for the kids, there...

Schrodinger's Zebra

Increasingly unlikely

EnolaGaia

Staff member
I don't mean to seem flippant about this woman's accident, but it sounds like something I've seen a hundred times in cartoons ...

Woman mistakes dynamite for candle, suffers severe injuries, police say
When thunderstorms knocked out power for homes in Bridgeport, Connecticut, on Thursday, a 30-year-old woman grabbed what she thought was a candle. But she accidentally lit a stick of dynamite, and suffered severe injuries, police told CBS Boston.

Authorities say the tragic accident happened to the 30-year-old mother of two, who had gone to Home Depot earlier that evening to try and buy emergency lighting. The store was closed, so when she got back home, she went into her basement to grab what she believed were candles. The woman thought she picked up candle sticks left behind by the former residents of the house. What she grabbed was actually a quarter stick of dynamite, police said.

The woman was taken to the hospital with "extreme injuries" to her hands and may lose her fingers, CBS Boston reports. She suffered serious facial injuries, but the explosion did not injure anyone else.

It is against the law to have dynamite or fireworks in the state of Connecticut, but police aren't pressing charges. Both the police and fire department searched the home and removed another dynamite device.

Authorities reminded residents to have backup lighting in their home in the event of a power outage. Authorities also reminded people to report any suspicious items that could cause a fire to the police.
SOURCE: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bridge...-during-power-outage-suffers-severe-injuries/

INT21

Justified & Ancient
No mention of why she should have had ths explosive in the house either.

And doesn't that Unicorn have a smug look on his face.

INT21

EnolaGaia

Staff member
No mention of why she should have had ths explosive in the house either. ...
My impression (from this and other accounts) is that the things she remembered as candles were stored in the basement by someone else (e.g., a previous tenant).

INT21

Justified & Ancient
...My impression (from this and other accounts) is that the things she remembered as candles were stored in the basement by someone else (e.g., a previous tenant)...

And somewhere a bank robber is wondering why the front of the safe didn't blow off.

INT21.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Lately UPI's 'Odd News' section has consisted of innocuous OOP animals stories. During the last few months there have been a lot of 'bear entering and trashing the family car' stories.

This one stands out from the rest ... The owner / driver is the one who inadvertently shut the bear up within her van. Somehow she didn't notice there was a bear inside. Hence my posting this in the Silly Mistakes thread ...

Bear ransacks van, raids kitchen in North Carolina
A North Carolina woman who unknowingly closed a bear inside her van said the bruin escaped through a window and raided a neighbor's kitchen.

Nicole Minkin Lissenden said she was visiting her parents' house in Asheville while they were out of town during the weekend.

Lissenden said the doors of her 2008 Honda Odyssey had been left unlocked and a friend who was passing by stopped to tell her the door was open and there was trash on the ground next to her vehicle.

The woman said it wasn't until after she had closed the door that she realized a bear was inside.

"I certainly didn't think it was in the car, so I closed the door at that point and went back inside," Lissenden told the Asheville Citizen Times. "About 30 minutes later, I went back out to get something out of the car, and I noticed all the windows were fogged up and there were paw prints on the windows." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/0...kitchen-in-North-Carolina/6731537279074/?sl=7

Bigphoot2

Carbon Based Infestation
Cathay Pacific spells own name wrong on plane
  • 19 September 2018
Image copyrightCATHAY PACIFIC
Image captionThe Hong Kong-based airline joked "Oops this special livery won't last long" after the error was pointed out
An airline has had to send a plane back to the paint shop after the company's name was spelled incorrectly on it.

Hong Kong-based Cathay Pacific painted its name as "Cathay Paciic" on the side of the jet.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-45572275?

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Nearly $18m in cocaine found in boxes of bananas donated to Texas prison

The two pallets of bananas were donated because they were already ripe, the DCJ said, and arrived on Friday from Ports of America in Freeport.

The Texas Department of Criminal Justice (DCJ) outlined the find in a surprisingly jaunty Facebook post which began: “Sometimes, life gives you lemons. Sometimes, it gives you bananas. And sometimes, it gives you something you’d never expect!”

“One of the boxes felt different than the others,” the DCJ said. “[Officials] snipped the straps, pulled free the box, and opened it up.

“Inside, under a bundle of bananas … another bundle! Inside that? What appeared to be a white powdery substance. They immediately notified port authorities and awaited their instruction.”

The pallets turned out to contain “quite the cache”, the DCJ said: 540 packages of cocaine in 45 boxes of bananas, “with an estimated street value of $17,820,000” .

INT21

Justified & Ancient
..But at least they're grammatically correct...

In which universe ?

INT21

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Let's hope the manufacturer of these cushions doesn't publish atlases as a sideline:
View attachment 11990
A naive poltergeist(?) thought it would be helpful to change the alignment of the letters on the fabric pillows so they could be read (clockwise) to yield the only relevant message they could thus spell out - i.e., 'SEWN'.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
A naive poltergeist(?) thought it would be helpful to change the alignment of the letters on the fabric pillows so they could be read (clockwise) to yield the only relevant message they could thus spell out - i.e., 'SEWN'.
:rollingw::rollingw::rollingw:

I hadn't thought of that!

INT21

Justified & Ancient
If you type in the phrase 'only God can judge my mistakes and truths' into Google translate.

Convert it into Turkish, then back to English. you get.

..only Allah can judge my mistakes and facts..

Of course, that would not stop the clerics from stoning her to death.

'Just doing God's work'.

INT21

hunck

Justified & Ancient