Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
This story seems more 'Silly Mistake' than 'Back from the Dead' ...
Irish soccer team sorry for falsely reporting player’s death
A death notice for a soccer player was posted in a local newspaper. A game was postponed. Teams across the league held a minute’s silence.

Soccer clubs in the Leinster Senior League in Ireland united over the weekend to honor the memory of a player who was thought to have been killed in a traffic accident last week.

Turns out it was all one big mistake.

Amateur team Ballybrack FC has apologized for a “gross error of judgment” after falsely reporting that one of its players, Fernando Nuno La Fuente, died on Thursday.

La Fuente is, in fact, still alive, the team said.

“This grave and unacceptable mistake was completely out of character and was made by a person who has been experiencing severe personal difficulties unbeknownst to any other members of the club,” Ballybrack said ...

The club said the person in question was fired after an emergency meeting. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/1914b60c13524c4cb85b66bcb878c502

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Man's dream holiday ruined after he accidentally ticks box saying he's a terrorist

Yes, apparently there's a box asking this on US visa applications.

John Steveson and his wife Marion have always wanted to go to New York, and decided his 70th birthday would be the perfect opportunity.

They splashed out £3,000 on the trip, and were counting down the days but then a call from the US Customs and Border Protection left their dream in tatters.

The cabbie was told by US official that he's now considered a "threat to their national security" and he might struggle to travel to other countries because of the error.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Surely the border protection people should have realised that anyone who would intentional tick 'yes' to such a question hasn't the brain power to be an effective terrorist.
And sent someone from the local FBI branch to have a chat with him.
He probably misread it as 'not' a terrorist.

INT21

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Zebra,

From #841 above.

..I have an image in my mind of a burnt-out house upon which a spider is sitting, completely unharmed ..

Reminds me of the final scene from 'Hanger 18'.

INT21.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Update from my post #830 above.

The engine is (probably) ruined.

We had a couple of fine days so I investigate further. Removed the camshaft to allow me to turn the crank. It wouldn't.

Then saw one of the cam followers sitting lower than the rest.

And a dark cloud descended from the heavens.

So, a bent valve at least. Possibly a smashed piston.

I've been weighing up my options. May go for a second hand engine if I can get one cheap enough from the scrappers.

I'll carry on and remove the head to reveal the full extent of the damage.

INT21.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Be careful of syntax when using Twitter.

Mr Giuliani left out a space between a full stop and the following word within a tweet, which caused the text to become a link.

The prankster subsequently acquired the webpage it directed users to. There, they posted a brief message saying: "Donald J Trump is a traitor to our country."

Mr Giuliani's tweet - which has been "liked" more than 39,000 times and retweeted more than 14,000 times - is still live, at the time of writing, four days after being created.

Skip Twitter post by @RudyGiuliani

Rudy Giuliani

@RudyGiuliani

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1068570837459050496

Mueller filed an indictment just as the President left for http://G-20.In July he indicted the Russians who will never come here just before he left for Helsinki.Either could have been done earlier or later. Out of control!Supervision please?

6:21 PM - Nov 30, 2018 · Manhattan, NY
Twitter Ads info and privacy

29.6K people are talking about this

End of Twitter post by @RudyGiuliani

Twitter turns text into a hyperlink only if it recognises the letters after a full stop as representing an established top-level domain (TLD) name.

In this case, the former New York mayor was unlucky to have begun his follow-up sentence with the word "in" - which is used to denote domains operated under the authority of India.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46440529

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Giant 200-year-old redwood tree cut down 'by mistake'
  • 28 November 2018
A 200-year-old giant redwood tree in Swansea has been chopped down "by mistake" by a housing developer.

The tree was planted by the land-owning family who created what is now Penllergaer Valley Woods.

Enzo's Homes are building 80 new homes at the site of the former Valley Woods house.

The boss of the company, Enzo Sauro, said the giant redwood had been cut down by mistake and they would "replace it with a mature replica tree".

Continued in face-palming detail:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-46380554

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
  • 28 November 2018
A 200-year-old giant redwood tree in Swansea has been chopped down "by mistake" by a housing developer.

The tree was planted by the land-owning family who created what is now Penllergaer Valley Woods.

Enzo's Homes are building 80 new homes at the site of the former Valley Woods house.

The boss of the company, Enzo Sauro, said the giant redwood had been cut down by mistake and they would "replace it with a mature replica tree".

Yes and it wouldn't be the first time a building firm has "accidentally" knocked something down that was in the way of their development. They pay the token fine and build over it.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Increasingly unlikely
  • 28 November 2018

Well that's all right then, because replacing it with a "mature replica tree" will be just the same. Cheesus.

:slapd:

Tribble

Furry Idiot
Brand new Range Rovers and a Jaguar had their roofs torn off after a lorry driver smashed into a rail bridge.

The mishap occurred at 8.30am today when the vehicle transporter towing 4x4s, some still in their plastic wrapping, ploughed under a railway bridge in Perth, Perthshire.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/range...as-transporter-hits-scottish-bridge-1-4819080

(It'll buff out)
Another one happened today (17 December 2018), this time in Edinburgh.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....r-hits-low-rail-bridge-in-edinburgh-1-4845168

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Another one happened today (17 December 2018), this time in Edinburgh.
Traffic/rail bridge strikes are troublesome and costly all round. Roads are closed while the mess is cleared and the bridge must be surveyed to make sure it's safe for trains to go over before it can be used again.

Causes huge disruption on the railways even if the bridge is serviceable right away as nothing can use it until it's been surveyed and passed. This can be done quickly, sometimes within an hour, but in the meantime all the trains that should have used the bridge are backed up.

A few years ago Network Rail painted up all the railway bridges with the warning chevrons that you see on that bridge and installed new road signs in an attempt to stop collisions.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
...Network Rail painted up all the railway bridges with the warning chevrons that you see on that bridge and installed new road signs in an attempt to stop collisions.
“But the sat nav told me to...”
It works for you, pal, not the other way round.”

maximus otter

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Notts County owner accidentally tweets dick pic then puts club up for sale

Says it all really. Presumably it's his dick although it's not spelt out.

"This morning an inappropriate photo appeared in one of my tweets. This was clearly an honest mistake as a result of my camera roll being included in a screenshot," he posted.
"I tried to rectify the error by deleting the tweet as soon as I noticed and I apologise for any offence caused."
The club is currently rock bottom of the football league, 8 points adrift.

cycleboy2

Abominable Snowman
Notts County owner accidentally tweets dick pic then puts club up for sale

Says it all really. Presumably it's his dick although it's not spelt out.

The club is currently rock bottom of the football league, 8 points adrift.
This is tackled in today's David Squires cartoon in the Guardian. The rest of the strip will only make sense to fotball fans, but David Squires is a genius and one of the highlights of my week. I only have two football books among my hundreds or thousands of books – both by Squires.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...unwanted-screen-imagery-football-notts-county

hunck

Justified & Ancient
This is tackled in today's David Squires cartoon in the Guardian. The rest of the strip will only make sense to fotball fans, but David Squires is a genius and one of the highlights of my week. I only have two football books among my hundreds or thousands of books – both by Squires.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...unwanted-screen-imagery-football-notts-county
I read his strip every week but a lot of the references whoosh over my head. I have to read the comments to get the connection. His drawings are great though & his Mourinho as emo teen made me laugh.

Kryptonite

Seeker of truth, drinker of tea.
Not sure if this counts as a mistake, strictly, but I was posting on a forum about old comics, and whenever I typed the name of the late comic book artist Carmine Infantino, my phone's predictive text changed it to Canine Infantile, which without meaning any disrespect to the great man, really amused me.

Tribble

Furry Idiot

Tribble

Furry Idiot
Ok, this one should really be filed under "Really stupid mistake that absolutely nobody in the company noticed might be a bit racist".

Luxury fashion brand Gucci has withdrawn a woollen jumper from sale after the item was criticised for "resembling blackface."

The black "balaclava jumper" covered the lower half of the face and featured a red cut-out around the mouth.

The item prompted a backlash on social media by users who claimed the design was offensive.

In a statement, Gucci apologised for any offence caused and said it would be removed from sale.

The brand said it would turn the incident "into a powerful learning moment for the Gucci team" and was committed to increasing diversity.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47153413

escargot

Beloved of Ra
How could anyone look at that and not see, what, blackface, an English Golly toy, the Black and White Minstrels? Whoever designed it needs a talking-to but the person who passed it for sale is even stupider.