Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Just a note to say that the whole of this subreddit (Reddit category) could be posted here.
It's titled What Could Go Wrong? and features some of the poorest decision-making caught on contemporary video.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Whatcouldgowrong/

Warning: there's nothing super-graphic, but it's likely that there are probable deaths buried somewhere in there.
Warning 2: you could waste hours watching these!

INT21

Antediluvian
Happened today. My wife and I went shopping at Morrison's. I left my car in their car park and went off to have a coffee in my usual cafe while she did the shopping. But I had first to collect a 5 litre bottle of veg oil from a shop in the same location as the cafe.

I got the oil, went into the cafe and sat down to enjoy my espresso. And then there as the 'dingati ding' of my phone alarm tellin me it was five to four. I am supposed to take a tablet close to four o'clock. Anyway, I canceled the alarm, knowing that there would also be an identical warning at four o'clock on my other phone (long story). and sure enough, the alarm sounded. So I pulled out the phone and cancelled it. But it wouldn't stop.
After a couple of minutes of this ringing I still couldn't get the alarm to stop. I even took out the battery'; didn't work.

By now people were looking around at me clearly getting annoyed at the continual sound. So I gulped down the coffee and went back to the car. To do this I had to walk maybe a quarter mile through the town centre including the shopping mall. All the time accompanied by the alarm. Lots of strange looks directed my way.

Made it back to the car. Pulled out the phone to further investigate.

Then a thought ' the sound doesn't seem to change when I moved the phone from my pocket'; odd.

And then the silly mistake became apparent. it was the wrong phone. When I had cancelled the five to four alarm I had actually only put it in 'snooze' mode. So five minutes later it started again.
As I carry both phones in the breast pockets of my shirt they are quite close together. And it wasn't obvious which phone was ringing.

So I was denied the pleasure of a slow sipping of my espresso through a stupid error.

A wasted £1.60.

INT21.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Happened today. My wife and I went shopping at Morrison's. I left my car in their car park and went off to have a coffee in my usual cafe while she did the shopping. But I had first to collect a 5 litre bottle of veg oil from a shop in the same location as the cafe.

I got the oil, went into the cafe and sat down to enjoy my espresso. And then there as the 'dingati ding' of my phone alarm tellin me it was five to four. I am supposed to take a tablet close to four o'clock. Anyway, I canceled the alarm, knowing that there would also be an identical warning at four o'clock on my other phone (long story). and sure enough, the alarm sounded. So I pulled out the phone and cancelled it. But it wouldn't stop.
After a couple of minutes of this ringing I still couldn't get the alarm to stop. I even took out the battery'; didn't work.

By now people were looking around at me clearly getting annoyed at the continual sound. So I gulped down the coffee and went back to the car. To do this I had to walk maybe a quarter mile through the town centre including the shopping mall. All the time accompanied by the alarm. Lots of strange looks directed my way.

Made it back to the car. Pulled out the phone to further investigate.

Then a thought ' the sound doesn't seem to change when I moved the phone from my pocket'; odd.

And then the silly mistake became apparent. it was the wrong phone. When I had cancelled the five to four alarm I had actually only put it in 'snooze' mode. So five minutes later it started again.
As I carry both phones in the breast pockets of my shirt they are quite close together. And it wasn't obvious which phone was ringing.

So I was denied the pleasure of a slow sipping of my espresso through a stupid error.

A wasted £1.60.

INT21.
Yup, easily done. I set an alarm recently to remind me to do something and it when off while I was driving. It sounded like a call which I didn't try to answer in case I crashed and caused a disaster.

When I was parked up I looked for the call but couldn't find it, and didn't remember about the alarm until an hour or so later.

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
Just a note to say that the whole of this subreddit (Reddit category) could be posted here.
It's titled What Could Go Wrong? and features some of the poorest decision-making caught on contemporary video.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Whatcouldgowrong/

Warning: there's nothing super-graphic, but it's likely that there are probable deaths buried somewhere in there.
Warning 2: you could waste hours watching these!
Also the @AwardsDarwin Twitter account. I confess I find that horribly compelling: just what were they thinking?

ETA different platforms, more or less the same clips.

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Man travels with a Picasso vase worth circa $11,000 in a shopping bag. He changes trains, but forgets to take his shopping bag with him ... :doh: :roll:
Man leaves original Picasso on train

A man left a Picasso vase worth more than $11,000 on a train in Germany, and police have so far been unable to track it down.

Carrying his precious cargo in a large shopping bag, the 76-year-old man was traveling from Kassel in central Germany to the western city of Dusseldorf on February 15.

But when he changed trains mid-journey, he accidentally left the vase -- which he had placed on the floor of the train -- behind.

According to German police, the owner contacted the crew immediately after departing the train. But despite a search, the vase was nowhere to be seen.

Police described the incident as a case of "monumental forgetfulness" and said the vase had been pinched by an "unknown culprit." They called on witnesses to come forward. ...
SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/style/article/picasso-vase-own-left-german-train-intl-scli-ger/index.html

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I have a feeling this is the sort of spur-of-the-moment lark that caused many a mysterious situation later interpreted as Fortean ...

Fortunately, in this case everything turned out OK after grandma floated away off the Icelandic beach ...

Streng-1.jpg Streng-2.jpg
Grandma floats away on ice throne during photoshoot
A Texas grandma who sat on a throne-shaped piece of ice in Iceland ended up needing to be rescued when it floated away with her on top.

Judith Streng said she was traveling in Iceland with her son, Rod Streng, when they spotted some people taking photos on the iceberg throne at Diamond Beach in Jorkulsarlon.

"It was shaped like an easy place to sit. You can tell by looking at the shape of it, and I thought well it looks like fun" ...

"When I got on it, it started to totter and a wave was coming in," Streng said. "A very large wave came in and kind of made the throne kind of rock, and I could tell that I was slipping off." ...

The ice chunk floated away with Streng still on top, but the woman was soon rescued by ... a Florida man who was boating nearby. ...

Streng said she has no regrets about the incident.

"I thought it [would] be quite fun. You know I always wanted to be queen. I mean, come on, that was my chance," she said.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...n-ice-throne-during-photoshoot/6761551457169/

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I have a feeling this is the sort of spur-of-the-moment lark that caused many a mysterious situation later interpreted as Fortean ...

Fortunately, in this case everything turned out OK after grandma floated away off the Icelandic beach ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...n-ice-throne-during-photoshoot/6761551457169/
When I was there last year we saw lots of people photographing each other draped over huge lumps of ice. It takes a special kind of stupidity to nearly drown yourself on one.

Stupid prick!

An unlicensed gun owner in Indiana is recovering in a hospital after accidentally shooting himself in the penis.

Mark Anthony Jones, 46, told police in Marion that he was taking a morning walk when the Hi-Point 9mm handgun he was carrying in his waistband “began to slip,” according to The Smoking Gun. Jones told police that when he “reached down to adjust” the unholstered gun, it discharged, shooting a bullet that “entered just above his penis and exited his scrotum,” according to a Marion Police Department news release posted on Facebook:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mark...cid=newsltushpmgnews__TheMorningEmail__030519

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Has that stopped any reproduction efforts in its tracks?

INT21

Antediluvian
Mistake of the day.

A few days ago I ordered a new battery for my Blackberry.

Today, a package arrived. I do remember thinking it was rather heavy for the little battery.

And on opening it I find (Ta Daa) a Blackberry cell phone.

'Odd' thinks I.

On the back of the phone was a label that said, in essence, as the battery may have to travel by air as part of the delivery, it has been sent in a 'container' to ensure compliance with regulations.

The 'container', was, of course, the old phone.

So, I wondered if the phone worked, and plugged it in to charge.

After half an hour I checked it and found that it was showing no sign of charge (I use a charge Doctor that shows the current and voltage) .

Ah, well, no worries. So I opened up the phone and found......

The battery, installed, still in it's little polythene bag.

Needless to say, removing it from the bag resulted in a great improvement.

The phone appears to work on all it's off-air functions.

Time I was put out to graze.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Cadbury pull ad campaign which "advocates looting"

The Treasure Island ads encouraged children to “grab your metal detector and go hunting for Roman riches”, but failed to warn that digging without permission is illegal. It suggested a number of sites across the UK and Ireland where “treasure’s fair game”.

The confectioner took the online ad site down on Monday after being inundated with messages from archaeologists who described the campaign as “irresponsible” – a view endorsed by the government. The arts minister, Michael Ellis, said the ad risked undermining rules to protect heritage.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Maybe that is what happened to most of the missing planes

Didnt the pilot realise they were going the wrong way?

pandacracker

Ephemeral Spectre
But usually an announcement is made before take off along the lines of " welcome to ... flight 123 to somewhere, our flight time... etc"

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
But usually an announcement is made before take off along the lines of " welcome to ... flight 123 to somewhere, our flight time... etc"
I just heard a passenger interviewed on the radio and she said that yes, there usually is but for some reason there wasn't on that flight.

I like to think the stewards were a bit puzzled by how many Germans were flying to Edinburgh though. :)