Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
At least it wasn't a ghost chilli.
A colleague of mine used to pride himself on his home-cooked-from-scratch curries. One day he was at home, preparing one using some thermonuclear-level chilis, when his missus came home from work feeling...frisky. They repaired upstairs and “started the Whoopee! Machine”.

Very shortly thereafter, “Mrs. Scoville” was in the bath, seated in 4” of cold water, streaming at both ends.

maximus otter

titch

Justified & Ancient
A colleague of mine used to pride himself on his home-cooked-from-scratch curries. One day he was at home, preparing one using some thermonuclear-level chilis, when his missus came home from work feeling...frisky. They repaired upstairs and “started the Whoopee! Machine”.

Very shortly thereafter, “Mrs. Scoville” was in the bath, seated in 4” of cold water, streaming at both ends.

maximus otter
I shouldn't really have laughed at that

Tribble

Furry Idiot
I bet the kids were left mostly in tears of laughter.

Excited children were left in tears and parents outraged after a trailer for a horror film was shown before a screening of a Peppa Pig film.

Adverts for psychological horror Ma and frightening superhero movie Brightburn were shown at the Empire Cinema in Ipswich. Trailers of the movies, which do not yet have an age rating, appear to show dead bodies, suggestions of violence and a violent child in a scary mask. The planned showing of Peppa Pig: Festival of Fun was then screened as advertised.

A spokesman for the cinema chain apologised and said it was investigating how the "inappropriate" trailers were screened.

https://news.sky.com/story/children...GwrYqMgJDtvU6QmiNIVEy0VTFQ60K0tbs50GlApwAwh4w

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Bet they nag their parents to go see the other films, be like 'Feck Peppa Pig, gimme Ma and Brightburn'

GNC

King-Sized Canary
This happens more often than you'd think (or want). The effects of projectionists being phased out to be replaced by an unthinking machine (or a teenager to press a button and hope for the best).

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Don't know if it counts as a "mistake" but I heard on the news that Joan Collins' recent flat fire was caused by her husband's shaving mirror. It focused the sunlight on her window blind and it caught fire. Sounds like something that needs a 1970s-style public information film to warn us about. Nevertheless, watch where your mirrors are pointed.

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
I bet the kids were left mostly in tears of laughter.

Excited children were left in tears and parents outraged after a trailer for a horror film was shown before a screening of a Peppa Pig film.

Adverts for psychological horror Ma and frightening superhero movie Brightburn were shown at the Empire Cinema in Ipswich. Trailers of the movies, which do not yet have an age rating, appear to show dead bodies, suggestions of violence and a violent child in a scary mask. The planned showing of Peppa Pig: Festival of Fun was then screened as advertised.

A spokesman for the cinema chain apologised and said it was investigating how the "inappropriate" trailers were screened.

https://news.sky.com/story/children...GwrYqMgJDtvU6QmiNIVEy0VTFQ60K0tbs50GlApwAwh4w
Peppa Pig: Festival of Fun

it does sound pretty horrific.

oh wait. that wasn't the horror film?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Don't know if it counts as a "mistake" but I heard on the news that Joan Collins' recent flat fire was caused by her husband's shaving mirror. It focused the sunlight on her window blind and it caught fire. Sounds like something that needs a 1970s-style public information film to warn us about. Nevertheless, watch where your mirrors are pointed.
We had a magnifying mirror near a window which focused heat on a plastic planter and melted a bit of it.

No great damage but we were reminded of how dangerous it might be!

There was a story a few years ago about a crystal ball on a windowsill which caused a fire.
Cue cries of 'I bet she didn't see THAT coming!'

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Lessons in Command and Control from the Los Angeles Riots
CHRISTOPHER M. SCHNAUBELT

"Police officers responded to a domestic dispute, accompanied by marines. They had just gone up to the door when two shotgun birdshot rounds were fired through the door, hitting the officers. One yelled `cover me!' to the marines, who then laid down a heavy base of fire. . . . The police officer had not meant `shoot' when he yelled `cover me' to the marines. [He] meant . . . point your weapons and be prepared to respond if necessary. However, the marines responded instantly in the precise way they had been trained, where `cover me' means provide me with cover using firepower. . . . over two hundred bullets [were] fired into that house."​
Source:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Lessons in Command and Control from the Los Angeles Riots
This sort of misunderstanding based on differences in training and doctrinal terminology is an actual risk. Some years ago I was in a group where someone cited the old military joke illustrated in the following example:

How to Tell the Difference Between the Branches of the US Armed Forces!

If you give the command "SECURE THE BUILDING", here is what the different services would do:

The NAVY would turn out the lights and lock the doors.
The ARMY would surround the building with defensive fortifications, tanks and concertina wire.
The MARINE CORPS would assault the building, using overlapping fields of fire from all appropriate points on the perimeter.
The AIR FORCE would take out a three-year lease with an option to buy the building.
A listener questioned whether there was any sort of factual basis for the different meanings cited in the joke. We researched this, and it turned out:

- all the variants are defined as such in one or more services' formal vocabularies, and
- none of the variants was defined as such across all services.

It's not true that each service (overall) recognizes one and only one of the variant definitions, but it's true that an order to 'secure the building' could well lead to drastically different outcomes, some of which were specific to one or another branch of the military.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
He's a "DJ", it's not his music.
Don't they kind of scratch and mix and speed up and slow down to make a new product?

I went to a scratching contest once. Clearly some of the guys had enormous talent at this rather narrow art, but it was bloody tedious and I just ended up getting drunk.

Ogdred Weary

Sooner than expected.
Don't they kind of scratch and mix and speed up and slow down to make a new product?

I went to a scratching contest once. Clearly some of the guys had enormous talent at this rather narrow art, but it was bloody tedious and I just ended up getting drunk.
I thought it was more about their ability to "select" tracks - which most people can do themselves, I believe and in the olden days they had some skill in terms of syncing up the beats as it were. Apparently, there was hardware that was able to do that with CDs in the 90s. I do not get people going to "see" a DJ.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Some DJs do make their own music too. Like Norman Cook or David Guetta.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
DJs play other people's records.

Producers make music.

Some people are both.

I exclusively play vinyl but I've never been a scratch fan. The folks who do that are called turntablists.

To me, a DJ is a person who has an above average knowledge of a single genre (house, techno, grime etc), or a wide variety of genres and the collection to go with it. A good DJ needs to have a knack for reading a dancefloor or a crowd. If you haven't got that you're in trouble.

It doesn't matter whether you're playing vinyl, spinning CDs, or managing a pre-selected playlist; and whether you're in an Ibiza club at 2am or at Grandma's 80th birthday party....you need to be able to spot what grooves are getting people moving, and what is bringing on the yawns.

Above all....the best DJs are invisible. It's not about you, it's about the music and the crowd.

Steve Aoki, David Guetta etc have made it all about them. Hence lobbing cake about like a twat.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
The Australian A$50 note has a spelling mistake on it. Mind you, it took 6 months for anyone to notice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-48210733

"Australia's latest A$50 note comes with a big blunder hidden in the small print - a somewhat embarrassing typo.
The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) spelled "responsibility" as "responsibilty" on millions of the new yellow notes.
The RBA confirmed the typo on Thursday and said the error would be fixed in future print runs.
But for now, around 46 million of the new notes are in use across the country. "

And I rather liked the final sentence.
"Phew. Now let's just hope we didn't make any typos in this artilce. "