SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...ish-zoo-was-a-stuffed-toy/2791574176350/?sl=7Escaped monkey at British zoo was a stuffed toy
The Blackpool Zoo in England said reports of an escaped animal inside the facility were the result of a planned drill involving a stuffed toy monkey.
The zoo said in a Facebook post Tuesday that there was no actual monkey on the loose the previous day.
"If you were in the zoo yesterday, you might have heard reports that we had an escaped animal. We can now confirm that the rumors are true and we did deal with a situation regarding an escaped monkey," the post said.
"Luckily in this case, the monkey was of the soft toy variety and the situation had been orchestrated by our health and safety manager. In the same way schools and businesses run regular fire drills, we run regular animal escape drills to test our response in the unlikely event one of our animals does escape its enclosure," officials wrote.
"We're delighted to report that the escapee was returned to its 'enclosure' swiftly and safely. We can also confirm that no staff, visitors or animals were harmed in the process (although the soft toy is a little grubby now)," the post reads.
I hit like in sympathy, not because I like this. That, my friend, is a cast iron bastard of a thing to happen.I had a similar problem with a Windows 7 machine at work - we changed the password, but the keyboard was faulty and one of the characters didn't input correctly. Twice. So on the next 'lock', we were completely unable to login - no password recovery in Windows 7.Complete Windows reinstall.
There have been other cases of booby-trapped homes in the US.Ronald Cyr called police in the town of Van Buren in the state of Maine to say he had been shot.
Police found a door had been designed to fire a handgun should anyone attempt to enter. Mr Cyr was taken to hospital but died of his injuries.
In February, a team of real estate investors walking through a home they had bought in Philadelphia discovered that a staircase had been rigged with string which, if tripped, would have triggered a swinging knife.
In September last year, a man in Illinois was killed when he opened a neighbour's shed that had been rigged to fire a shotgun. William Wasmund, 48, was found guilty this September of first-degree murder and aggravated battery.
And in October last year a man in Oregon was charged after fortifying his home "like a scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark".
FBI agents found a circular hot tub linked up to a tripwire, a fortified front door, animal traps and a wheelchair rigged with a shotgun that went off, hitting an agent in the leg.
I've posted this on the Great Acts of Stupidity thread but you got to it first!
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/8fa931e5c0a4951cf34fecee7a865de8‘Typo’ may have overvalued Utah home at nearly $1B
Utah officials say a possible dropped phone resulted in a typo that overvalued a home for almost $1 billion.
And taxpayers may have to pay for the mistake.
The Deseret News reports a house built in 1978 in an unincorporated area of the county was recorded in 2019 tax rolls with a value of more than $987 million. That’s an overestimate of about $543 million in taxable value.
Wasatch County Assessor Maureen “Buff” Griffiths told officials last month a staff member may have dropped a phone on a keyboard. Griffiths said the accident has resulted in a countywide overvaluation of more than $6 million.
Griffiths added that the blunder also produced revenue shortfalls in five taxing entities.
Wasatch County officials say residents will likely see an increased tax rate over the next three years to make up for the lower amount collected in 2019.
Yikes. To the untutored eye - and I am sure that there are many subtle nuances in Utah tax legislation that keep legions of accountants gainfully if not gleefully occupied - that suggests that the correct value would have been a mere $444 million. What kind of houses do they have in Utah?A typo - quite possibly caused by a simple dumb-ass accident - resulted in a county revenue shortfall that taxpayers will end up paying for ...
From the linked source article -Yikes. To the untutored eye - and I am sure that there are many subtle nuances in Utah tax legislation that keep legions of accountants gainfully if not gleefully occupied - that suggests that the correct value would have been a mere $444 million. What kind of houses do they have in Utah?
Since we've entered nerd territory, I might just as well share my silly mistake from this weekend. I installed a honeypot (a lure to catch hackers) on the internet in Microsoft Azure. Then I tried to log into it. It didn't recognize my account and password. After despairing for some time, I realized that this login was part of the lure, to catch a hacker trying to log in. The real login was hidden somewhere else. And indeed, my own login attempts were flagged as enemy actionSo, I decided to get in some practice with my Suse Linux machine. And as I am the only user (hence the root) I can't do anything without the password.
Sounds like a success! A honeypot so convincing even you fell for it!Since we've entered nerd territory, I might just as well share my silly mistake from this weekend. I installed a honeypot (a lure to catch hackers) on the internet in Microsoft Azure. Then I tried to log into it. It didn't recognize my account and password. After despairing for some time, I realized that this login was part of the lure, to catch a hacker trying to log in. The real login was hidden somewhere else. And indeed, my own login attempts were flagged as enemy action
I guess the trade war is breaking out as they are not willing to export vibranium.Trade War now looms between the US and Wakanda.
The US Department of Agriculture listed Wakanda as a free-trade partner - despite it being a fictional country.
A USDA spokesperson said the Kingdom of Wakanda was added to the list by accident during a staff test. The department's online tariff tracker hosted a detailed list of goods the two nations apparently traded, including ducks, donkeys and dairy cows. In the Marvel universe, Wakanda is the fictional East African home country of superhero Black Panther.
The fictional country was removed soon from the list after US media first queried it, prompting jokes that the countries had started a trade war. Wakanda first appeared in the Fantastic Four comic in 1966, and made a reappearance when Black Panther was adapted into an Oscar-winning film last year. The unusual listing was spotted by Francis Tseng, a New York-based software engineer who was looking up agricultural tariffs for a fellowship he was applying for.
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/e20a2ff598b0c335ebf277f17fc12d79N Carolina couple call 911 on vacuum thought to be intruder
’Twas the night of Christmas at a North Carolina house, no creature should have been stirring, not even a mouse.
But a Forsyth County couple awoke with a fright, as something was moving about their house in the night.
They dashed to their closet and hid in fear, dialing 911 with a sensitive ear.
Responding sheriff’s deputies searched the home, and found a robot vacuum alone. The source of the scare had quickly been sorted, WGHP-TV reported. The robot had seemingly started and gotten stuck, its beeping and banging made the audible muck.
Homeowner Thomas Milam said the vacuum named Harry was new. They’d had it for days, maybe just two.
He said it’s not better to be sorry than safe, and he’d call 911 again, even if making a mistake.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...-leads-to-front-lawn-fire/1081577805470/?sl=1Boy's magnifying glass Christmas gift leads to front lawn fire
A Texas mother said a fire that razed her family's front lawn started with her 12-year-old son's Christmas gift: a magnifying glass.
Nissa-Lynn Parson of McKinney said her son, Cayden, 12, received a magnifying glass for Christmas and the boy and his brothers decided to use the gift to burn some holes in a newspaper in the family's driveway.
The newspaper burst into flames and wind suddenly carried it to the front lawn, where the grass quickly caught fire. ...
"Everything was under control until the boys came running into the house telling us that a corner of the lawn was on fire and the Christmas lights were melting," Parson wrote.
She said the family sprang into action. ...
Parson said the flames were extinguished with no damage except for some melted lights and a scorched lawn. ...