Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
This is what happens when astrophysicists get bored.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus device

An Australian astrophysicist has been admitted to hospital after getting four magnets stuck up his nose in an attempt to invent a device that stops people touching their faces during the coronavirus outbreak.

Dr Daniel Reardon, a research fellow at Melbourne’s Swinburne University, was building a necklace that sounds an alarm on facial contact, when the mishap occurred on Thursday night.

The 27 year-old astrophysicist, who studies pulsars and gravitational waves, said he was trying to liven up the boredom of self-isolation with the four powerful neodymium magnets.
Bless him, he was trying to help.

balding13

Ephemeral Spectre
Checkout horrors seem to be getting worse. Just occasionally, the belt is moving, the cashier smiling and I get a free run . . .

Beware of the place-holder in the queue. She has one item on the belt but daughter is about to arrive with a trolley piled high . . .

"Excuse me. Can I just get through there . . . ?"

"Excuse me but No!"

Beware the clothing items, children's clothing especially. Cashier will helpfully point out that strap is missing or it comes with a top or no, that one is not part of the 3-for-£5 deal . . . Cue runner or manager. Label-switchers in these parts love children's clothing and are prepared to argue their case!

Beware all Reduced Stickers. Actually, this is where I become the nuisance-shopper, as attempts to override the original bar-code result in creases, illegible stickers or even the dreaded, "this product isn't on the system. I can't sell it to you."

As nuisance-shoppers go, I am courteous enough to offer to leave some problem items, even that bottle of gin for 10p. "I'm afraid this label seems to have come from celery . . . " :p
I rarely do anything but yellow sticker shopping but I always thank the staff for their patience if they have trouble with the labels.
I

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
At university a lad in my Halls was magic mushroom enthusiast - he once spent many early morning hours collecting a decent autumnal hoard, boiled them into a tea, and drained them over the sink with a colander.

It was only after he finished that he realised he should have kept the liquid and chucked the mushrooms.
We used to do both, that is, drink the liquid and re dry the shrooms .. 40 shrooms was a perfect trip before I'd even heard of micro dosing, I could never understand why some of my mates would take a 100-200 dose.

balding13

Ephemeral Spectre
Rather have a pony, eh?

I'll just leave this here...
Warming, for mature audiences only.
In addition to warming the cockles of my heart I can recommend his podcast, the Blindboy podcast, with the caveat that we Irish use certain Anglo Saxon words in an affectionate way.