• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

1626484903673.png

GoldGatorStatue.jpg

Police responding to report of loose alligator in condo building find gold statue

Police in British Columbia responded Thursday to a report of an alligator loose inside a high-rise condo building, but arrived to find a realistic sculpture.

Constable Jason Douchette, of the Vancouver Police Department, tweeted that officers were dispatched about 7 a.m. Thursday to a condominium building in which a woman reported she was hiding in a stairwell from a loose gator inside the building. ...

Douchette said officers were relieved to discover the alligator was a "realistic fake" -- a gold-colored sculpture. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...Department-alligator-sculpture/4551626990018/

A German reporter who smeared mud on her clothes at the site of one of the devastating floods in the country has been suspended from the channel.

"A German presenter has apologised after being caught smearing mud on her clothes moments before appearing on television from a town ravaged by last week's historic floods.

Susanna Ohlen, 39, said she acted after feeling "ashamed" of reporting from the town in her clean clothes.

The broadcaster RTL said she had been suspended for breaching its standards after the video went viral.

In a statement, Ms Ohlen said she had made a "serious mistake".

She had been reporting from Bad Münstereifel in North Rhine-Westphalia, where record rainfall destroyed homes and left dozens dead last week."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57946430

I'm just glad she wasn't reporting from the site of an orgy.
Dunno what she might have rubbed on herself.

A German reporter who smeared mud on her clothes at the site of one of the devastating floods in the country has been suspended from the channel.

"A German presenter has apologised after being caught smearing mud on her clothes moments before appearing on television from a town ravaged by last week's historic floods.

Susanna Ohlen, 39, said she acted after feeling "ashamed" of reporting from the town in her clean clothes.

The broadcaster RTL said she had been suspended for breaching its standards after the video went viral.

In a statement, Ms Ohlen said she had made a "serious mistake".

She had been reporting from Bad Münstereifel in North Rhine-Westphalia, where record rainfall destroyed homes and left dozens dead last week."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57946430
Why would anyone think this unusual? The practice of journalistic scene-setting was well-known enough to be parodied in CH4's Drop The Dead Donkey in the 1990s, when the reporter Damien Day was caught planting his teddy bear at the site of a disaster to add human interest. :chuckle:

1627211700509.png

In Google history:

I was rummaging around and came across what is the sometimes-worst-received piece of GDPR thank-you schwag ever. Nice box with a nice thank-you note on it and pretty colorful stars inside. So a bunch of people popped those suckers in their mouths. That's not candy. That's soap.
... if you read the note on the box carefully, you will learn a lesson that privacy folks have learned the hard way over and over: people often don't do a good job at reading large blocks of text. Design matters. I kinda love that we proved that on ourselves.

Why would anyone think this unusual? The practice of journalistic scene-setting was well-known enough to be parodied in CH4's Drop The Dead Donkey in the 1990s, when the reporter Damien Day was caught planting his teddy bear at the site of a disaster to add human interest. :chuckle:
I think Damien Day also reported from a 'War Zone' but found the street peacefully quiet with kids playing - so he purchased a grenade from one of the soldiers lazing about, lobbed it over a wall and started filming the panic after detonation.

A car has somehow crashed over a sea wall from a promenade and left dangling.

Car crashes over sea wall in Parkgate

A car has been left in a 'bizarre' position over Parkgate promenade.
Passers-by have been left bemused by how the vehicle got there.
The blue SUV was left in the unusual position over the low former sea wall at Parkgate in Cheshire today (July 25).

Apart from the incident, what's interesting is that the promenade and sea wall are nowhere near the sea.

Parkgate is on the Wirral, part of the River Dee estuary in Cheshire.
The river has been steadily silting up for over 1,000 years and Parkgate is one of the many abandoned former Dee ports.
On the photo you can see the marshland that's taken over the high tide area.

We've cycled near there.

I'll hazard a guess that it was the usual "pensioner lost control when getting the accelerator and brake confused in an automatic car".
Looking at the map I would also guess that the driver came down the B5135 'Station Road' and didn't stop, continuing straight across 'The Parade' and was lucky not to kill anyone.

Yeah, well, 'salt' is the most salt-like thing that I can think of.

It was Lot's wife who left 'em.

Seriously, it would be nice to hear the reasons why the police came to the conclusion that they did.
Did the prints match the feet they suspected?

It was Lot's wife who left 'em.

Seriously, it would be nice to hear the reasons why the police came to the conclusion that they did.
Did the prints match the feet they suspected?
That's definitely one step in the right direction I would suggest!
And the police probably didn't want to waste anymore time on it - which was probably warranted. (no pun intended!:hahazebs:)

Walking to Town today we passed a driving instructor talking to a pupil who had obviously just completed a lesson.
As he finished the conversation with her he absentmindedly opened the passenger door and sat sat down before realising he was in the wrong seat.
Seeing me point out his faux pas to the my wife, he grinned, rolled his eyes and laughingly asked if I needed any driving lessons.

We were just watching a lifeboat programme about the brave men and women of the RNLI when the wife piped up that the last 4 interviewed were all from the same family. How so? Says I.
They all have the same surname she pointed out.
I had to tell her that Del, Chris and the others all came out of the Appledore lifeboat station and it wasn’t their surname.

I remember watching Ian Brown performing at Glastonbury in 1999 or 2000, cant remember exactly, he was having a rant about England, for some reason, and grabbed what he thought was a St. George cross flag out of the crowd, and attempted to set it alight with his lighter, now this is 2 fails in one, as the flag refused to burn, and more importantly it wasn't a St. George's flag but a Northern Ireland flag.

Flag-of-Northern-Ireland.jpg

I remember watching Ian Brown performing at Glastonbury in 1999 or 2000, cant remember exactly, he was having a rant about England, for some reason, and grabbed what he thought was a St. George cross flag out of the crowd, and attempted to set it alight with his lighter, now this is 2 fails in one, as the flag refused to burn, and more importantly it wasn't a St. George's flag but a Northern Ireland flag.

View attachment 42910
I bet that meant that there were a lot of very Cross people after that outlandish display!

Last edited:
Back