• Please be advised there is a potential issue with DD collections, which may result in an excessive amount being taken. Please read the stickied thread in Fortean Times Magazine > General Discussion, Subs etc

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
t I took the 'Silly Mistake' to be not claiming whiskies are all 'essentially the same' (which, as you say, they are as soon as you 'pan out'), but rather 'telling the Scottish public that whiskies are all the same' as it's as liable to be as well-received as telling the Koreans that all kimchi is the same, the Greeks that all Feta is the same or the French that all Champagne is the same: definitely ill-advised.

This is how I take it too. My point is that this isn't what has happened. What has happened is that, as usual, a phrase has been cherry-picked and trailed to create outrage.

I know more about what's in and what was left out of the report than I can say without Politics :rollingw: It was known this would happen, whatever we put in and left out. There may be a statement on it later to address the concern and refocus attention on the purpose of the consultation - again, this is an expected, albeit not longed for, event!

It's this or go the way of anodyne pap, keeping the discussion away from the people it is intended to benefit - don't frighten the horses style.

I submit that the Silly Mistake is in falling for the clickbait headline and introducing politics!

This place is better than this. So is the OP.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
who was relying on her sat nav,
Many people seem to use sat nav as a substitute for a sense of direction, direct observation and map reading skills. These abilities are not something we're born with, they develop over time as we move through the world in our bodies.

Sat nav is limited by large urban obstacles which block and delay signals; bodies are limited by view points and can lack comprehensive knowledge of a place. They can complement each other; I usually never use it though because it's too distracting to listen when I'm trying to see where I'm going.
Thing is though, is how can you have such little awareness of your surroundings in the first place????
I'm usually pretty aware of my surroundings, and almost never use sat nav, but that ferry approach looked like a bridge to me too!
It might help if there was a sign that said, "FERRY APPROACH." :p

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
It might help if there was a sign that said, "FERRY APPROACH."
There are already plenty of signs and they have employees standing in the road in hi-viz jackets directing the traffic.
She was probably too busy looking at her phone to take notice of things like the world around her.

Trevp666

And where, for research purposes of course, might an academic find this missive?
You know very well where - the page 7 cycling special.
1674479507502.png

Trevp666

"(she) said in retrospect that she was not embarrassed about posing, nor bitter that she did not receive any royalties from the photo"

Which is a shame cos it sold "over 2 million copies at £2 per poster" for 'Athena', in addition to it's original sales as a page in a calendar.
She would have been minted if she had a royalties deal on it.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
"(she) said in retrospect that she was not embarrassed about posing, nor bitter that she did not receive any royalties from the photo"

Which is a shame cos it sold "over 2 million copies at £2 per poster" for 'Athena', in addition to it's original sales as a page in a calendar.
She would have been minted if she had a royalties deal on it.

A bit crude perhaps but it could have been the hole with the mint.

Trevp666

Game developer forgets to trademark the name of their new game and then finds, just before releasing it, that someone else has, and it costs them.

The Day Before developer forgets to trademark game, delays release for nine months.
"Right before the release, Steam blocked our game page at the request of a private individual, because of the name The Day Before.
"As you know, our game was announced in January 2021. At the time of the announcement, The Day Before game trademark was available.
"After the announcement of the game, the above mentioned individual filled out an application before us to register the game trademark The Day Before in the United States."

https://www.eurogamer.net/the-day-b...trademark-game-delays-release-for-nine-months

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Game developer forgets to trademark the name of their new game and then finds, just before releasing it, that someone else has, and it costs them.

The Day Before developer forgets to trademark game, delays release for nine months.
"Right before the release, Steam blocked our game page at the request of a private individual, because of the name The Day Before.
"As you know, our game was announced in January 2021. At the time of the announcement, The Day Before game trademark was available.
"After the announcement of the game, the above mentioned individual filled out an application before us to register the game trademark The Day Before in the United States."

https://www.eurogamer.net/the-day-b...trademark-game-delays-release-for-nine-months
As seen in many cases - most recently in the Cryptozoo fiasco - many gamers/developers always forget the 'boring technicalities' such as legally binding work contracts etc.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Looks like it couldn't have happened to nicer people.

At this time, the developer stated its culture is "based on the idea of volunteering" and, as such, "every Fntastic member is a volunteer" - paid or not. This wording resulted in Fntastic further defending its choice to use unpaid volunteers to develop its games. The company then went on to explain it had plans to hire some of its volunteers for full-time work.