• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Jet Away To Jamaica!

A woman bought a Frontier Airlines ticket from Philadelphia to Jacksonville, Florida but ended up on the island of Jamaica instead. And she didn't even have her passport.

Beverly Ellis-Hebard, who flies between the two U.S. cities every six weeks, didn't realize she was on the wrong flight until the plane was airborne. A flight attendant came to Ellis-Hebard's seat to help treat her arm, which she had badly scraped while taking her suitcase out of the baggage sizer back at the airport, and told the passenger she'd be able to relax once she got to Jamaica.

"I laughed. I said 'I would love to be going there but I have a beach where I live,'" Ellis-Hebarb said. "She said, 'Look at me. This plane is going to Jamaica.' And I knew by the look on her face she wasn't joking."

https://boingboing.net/2023/05/07/o...stead-of-jacksonville-without-a-passport.html

Jet Away To Jamaica!

A woman bought a Frontier Airlines ticket from Philadelphia to Jacksonville, Florida but ended up on the island of Jamaica instead. And she didn't even have her passport.

Beverly Ellis-Hebard, who flies between the two U.S. cities every six weeks, didn't realize she was on the wrong flight until the plane was airborne. A flight attendant came to Ellis-Hebard's seat to help treat her arm, which she had badly scraped while taking her suitcase out of the baggage sizer back at the airport, and told the passenger she'd be able to relax once she got to Jamaica.

"I laughed. I said 'I would love to be going there but I have a beach where I live,'" Ellis-Hebarb said. "She said, 'Look at me. This plane is going to Jamaica.' And I knew by the look on her face she wasn't joking."

https://boingboing.net/2023/05/07/o...stead-of-jacksonville-without-a-passport.html
Thankfully, it was Jamaica, and they dealt with it in their characteristically relaxed style.

BMW M4 left on Trevaunance Beach in Cornwall yesterday

While it's unclear who the car belongs to or why it was left on the beach, St Agnes Coastguard Search & Rescue Team were eventually able to remove it from the sea at 10.19am - nearly two hours after they were called.
1685362837600.png

Janitor attempting to turn off beeping noise destroys decades of scientific research, causes $1M in damages

A janitor cleaning in a laboratory at a university in Troy, New York, is accused of damaging at least $1 million in scientific research after shutting off the storage freezer while trying to turn off a constant beeping noise, according to a lawsuit.

The Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute filed the lawsuit against Daigle Cleaning Services, the outside firm that employed the cleaner.

When the cleaner shut off a circuit breaker on Sept. 17, 2020, the freezer was storing cell cultures, samples and other research elements at minus-112 degrees Fahrenheit. The temperature reportedly rose to minus-25.6 degrees Farenheit after the freezer was turned off – damaging or destroying all of its contents, the lawsuit alleges.

RPI's attorney, Michael Ginsberg of the law firm Pattison, Sampson, sberg & Grifin, told the Times Union in Albany that it will take an estimated $1 million to recreate the research on photosynthesis.

"People's behavior and negligence caused all this. Unfortunately, they wiped out 25 years of research," Ginsberg [said].

A sign on the door to the lab's freezer allegedly explained the source of the alarm and included instructions on how to silence it if necessary.

https://apple.news/AMOC3LWnbQJaN96z3hv7Ssw

maximus otter

More than just silly.

Millions of US military emails have been mistakenly sent to Mali, a Russian ally, because of a minor typing error.

Emails intended for the US military's ".mil" domain have, for years, been sent to the west African country which ends with the ".ml" suffix. Some of the emails reportedly contained sensitive information such as passwords, medical records and the itineraries of top officers. The Pentagon said it had taken steps to address the issue.

According to the Financial Times, which first reported the story, Dutch internet entrepreneur Johannes Zuurbier identified the problem more than 10 years ago. Since 2013, he has had a contract to manage Mali's country domain and, in recent months, has reportedly collected tens of thousands of misdirected emails. None were marked as classified, but, according to the newspaper, they included medical data, maps of US military facilities, financial records and the planning documents for official trips as well as some diplomatic messages.

Mr Zuurbier wrote a letter to US officials this month to raise the alarm. He said that his contract with the Mali government was due to finish soon, meaning "the risk is real and could be exploited by adversaries of the US".

Mali's military government was due to take control of the domain on Monday.

Mr Zuurbier has been approached for comment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66226873

Corrie Mckeague: Mum's fury at bin safety years after airman death​

Corrie Mckeague in uniform

The mother of an airman who died after climbing into a commercial bin has spoken of her anger that more was not being done to stop similar tragedies.

Corrie Mckeague was 23 when he disappeared in September 2016 after a night out in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
An inquest last year concluded the RAF gunner died after getting into a bin which was tipped into a waste lorry.
Nicola Urquhart said she felt "physically sick" that locks had not been added to bins in the area.

Maybe we should put fences up along every river bank and canal side as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-66223747

The only reason I've seen locks being put on bins was to stop other people dumping their own crap in them.
From what I recall, the suggestion was he was drunk and cold and decided to 'take a nap' in a commercial waste bin. Not a good idea to have when sober, but 'drunks will be drunks' (as we've seen in previouos examples).
I suppose the call for locks on bins to prevent drunks from climbing in is a relatively simple fix.

In my shop, we had that problem from the scrotes who rented a flat above next doors shop. All the premises had an 'ordinary waste' bin and recycle bin. Dunno how but the flat 'lost' their recycle bin, so filled up everyone elses bins with dirty nappies, takeaway boxes, ciggie stubs etc. Twice the council refused to empty our recycle bin because THEY had dumped in it any old trash.

Janitor attempting to turn off beeping noise destroys decades of scientific research, causes $1M in damages

A janitor cleaning in a laboratory at a university in Troy, New York, is accused of damaging at least $1 million in scientific research after shutting off the storage freezer while trying to turn off a constant beeping noise, according to a lawsuit.

The Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute filed the lawsuit against Daigle Cleaning Services, the outside firm that employed the cleaner.

When the cleaner shut off a circuit breaker on Sept. 17, 2020, the freezer was storing cell cultures, samples and other research elements at minus-112 degrees Fahrenheit. The temperature reportedly rose to minus-25.6 degrees Farenheit after the freezer was turned off – damaging or destroying all of its contents, the lawsuit alleges.

RPI's attorney, Michael Ginsberg of the law firm Pattison, Sampson, sberg & Grifin, told the Times Union in Albany that it will take an estimated $1 million to recreate the research on photosynthesis.

"People's behavior and negligence caused all this. Unfortunately, they wiped out 25 years of research," Ginsberg [said].

A sign on the door to the lab's freezer allegedly explained the source of the alarm and included instructions on how to silence it if necessary.

https://apple.news/AMOC3LWnbQJaN96z3hv7Ssw

maximus otter
Something similar happened in our labs, when I worked as a school science technician.

Our freezers were used to keep hearts, lungs and other offal for dissections. One got turned off at the beginning of the school summer holidays and we came back in in September to find the floor awash with black liquid, a terrible smell, and a door nobody wanted to open.

In my shop, we had that problem from the scrotes who rented a flat above next doors shop. All the premises had an 'ordinary waste' bin and recycle bin. Dunno how but the flat 'lost' their recycle bin, so filled up everyone elses bins with dirty nappies, takeaway boxes, ciggie stubs etc. Twice the council refused to empty our recycle bin because THEY had dumped in it any old trash.
I've said before that bins seem to confuse certain types. I've seen it so often.
They put the wrong stuff in, leave them out for days, use/steal other people's..............

Something similar happened in our labs, when I worked as a school science technician.

Our freezers were used to keep hearts, lungs and other offal for dissections. One got turned off at the beginning of the school summer holidays and we came back in in September to find the floor awash with black liquid, a terrible smell, and a door nobody wanted to open.
:omg:

Corrie Mckeague: Mum's fury at bin safety years after airman death​

Corrie Mckeague in uniform

The mother of an airman who died after climbing into a commercial bin has spoken of her anger that more was not being done to stop similar tragedies.

Corrie Mckeague was 23 when he disappeared in September 2016 after a night out in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.
An inquest last year concluded the RAF gunner died after getting into a bin which was tipped into a waste lorry.
Nicola Urquhart said she felt "physically sick" that locks had not been added to bins in the area.

Maybe we should put fences up along every river bank and canal side as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-66223747
People get drunk and act daft and some will come to harm. The answer might be to take more water with it.

People get drunk and act daft and some will come to harm. The answer might be to take more water with it.
It's awful and sad when it happens to you, but I don't think you can legislate for how people can act when they are drunk, and I agree, maybe the answer is just for people to know their limits!

When you need to point out that a packet of nuts might contain the allergen nuts, you have to understand that unless you state the blindingly obvious, or prepare for a rare occurrence in case of ignorance, you open yourself up to litigation.

Mistake or rather clumsy con job?

A promotional video for Yorkshire Water has been criticised for using stock footage of the rolling hills of Herefordshire and images taken in a Russian bar.

The advert was meant to promote the Bradford-based company's campaign urging customers to save water.

But viewers took to social media to point out the errors, with one branding the ad "more Malvern than Malton".

Yorkshire Water said the advert had since been removed from its channels.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-66311939

Water companies should be banned from advertising - it’s not as if you can shop around for a better service - you’re stuck with whichever company has the monopoly. Thames Water run ads which are basically saying what a good job they’re doing. Ludicrous & borderline fraud.

Environmental campaigner Feargal Sharkey told BBC Breakfast: "It underlines the most serious point, once we get past the mild amusement of it all, and that is this laissez-faire, almost casual indifference that water companies, like Yorkshire Water, show towards their customers."
A good heart is hard to find.

UK accidentally sent military emails meant for USA to Russian ally

British authorities have launched an investigation after officials mistakenly sent emails meant for U.S. military intelligence to the government in Mali, a Russian ally.

Officials from the U.K. Ministry of Defence were supposed to be sending emails to the Pentagon, but accidentally sent them to Mali’s government instead, the Times reported Thursday. The mistake was the result of a typo, as the Pentagon’s domain name is “.mil,” while Mali’s is “.ml.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-us-investigation-emails-russian-ally/

maximus otter

As it was for Yorkshire Water someone was just embracing the careful-with-the-pennies stereotype by using cheap bought-in stock images instead of doing the job properly.

:chuckle:

A brilliant 1970s advert for cheap rail fares showed stereotypically frugal Scotsmen in full kilt/sporran/Tam o'Shanter get-up packed into a train carriage, occupying every available seat and the overhead luggage racks.

It was withdrawn after complaints. Shame.

Back