• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Man Rescued After Spending 3 Days In London Sewers

He said he entered the sewer in Barking, & was pulled from a manhole by Police in Romford, 6 miles away.

He is thought to have wandered through the pipelines for up to 72 hours as he desperately tried to get out.

And he was only rescued after people working in nearby businesses eventually heard his pitiful cries for help coming from beneath the road.

Video footage has captured the unbelievable scene in Romford, east London, as the man was pulled out of the sewer on February 8.

Sam Palmer, a manager at Big White Cube Vehicle Hire, filmed the moment, after hearing the victim’s desperate cries for help from outside her workplace.

The first thing he said as he emerged into daylight was: “Does anyone have a fag?”

No yolk, they'll have to shell out for that.

It is simple enough so what could possibly go wrong? Order 1,500 eggs to feed the hungry Norwegian athletes at the Winter Olympics.

Then get onto Google Translate to render the order in Korean, only to have 15,000 eggs turn up.

Chefs for Norway's Olympic team in South Korea are red-faced after ordering from a local supermarket.

The chefs blamed a translation error, but a typo might also be at fault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42978915
They think it's all ova! It is now!

Hentirely the wrong animal.

The Malaysian government is facing ridicule after it took out a full-page advert to celebrate the Lunar New Year - featuring a barking rooster.

The Year of the Rooster - based on the Chinese zodiac - has just ended, giving way to the Year of the Dog.

The trade ministry's advert wished people a prosperous Year of the Dog - but showed a rooster emitting a dog's bark in Chinese.

The ministry apologised for the "technical error".

The cultural quagmire is complicated by a view held by some Malaysian Muslims that dogs are unclean animals.

Earlier this week, Reuters reported that Malaysian businesses were ignoring or playing down canine symbols - to avoid offending the Muslim majority. Ethnic Chinese make up about a quarter of the country's population. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43105168

Now here's a DIY tip for dealing with skunks ...

Got skunks in your home? Don’t use a smoke bomb
Authorities say a man destroyed a suburban Detroit home while trying to use a smoke bomb to rid a crawlspace of skunks.

The Detroit Free Press reports the man’s attempt sparked a fire Monday that quickly spread from the crawlspace to the first floor. The fire eventually spread through the walls and attic of the rental property.

Ferndale Fire Chief Kevin P. Sullivan says the house was a complete loss. He says no skunk carcasses were found. ...

SOURCE: https://apnews.com/035a7cbf05ac44a1a331188814069be3/Got-skunks-in-your-home?-Don't-use-a-smoke-bomb

Bloody students. I bet they really ran up that bill.

A mistaken digit in a gas meter reading resulted in student housemates receiving a bill for £19m.

The University of Leeds students had wrongly reported their meter reading and woke up on Monday to find the bill for the eye-wateringly large sum.

One of the group, Viktorija Kiselytė, said when they were initially unable to contact their supplier they became so worried they set up a fundraising page.

Huddle Utilities corrected the mistake and issued a new bill on Tuesday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-43317148

United Airlines strikes again.

United Airlines mistakenly flies family German shepherd to Japan

KCTV reports that Kara Swindle and her two children flew from Oregon to Kansas City, Missouri, on Tuesday on a United flight.

They went to a cargo facility to pick up 10-year-old Irgo, a German shepherd, but were instead given a great Dane.

Swindle, of Wichita, Kansas, learned Irgo had been put on a flight to Japan, where the great Dane was supposed to go.

United Airlines was also in the news on Monday when they made a woman [who stupidly took her dog as hand luggage] put it in the overhead locker where it died.

Sent from my iOuija.

Windsor bomb squad called in after ghost-hunting device forgotten at cultural centre
'They were shocked, obviously, but all is well right now. We're kind of getting a chuckle out of it'
By Dan Taekema, CBC News Posted: Mar 16, 2018 4:00 AM ET Last Updated: Mar 16, 2018 4:00 AM ET

electromagnetic-field-sensor.jpeg

An Electromagnetic Field Sensor caused a bomb scare at Mackenzie Hall. (Melissa Nakhavoly/CBC)

It turns out a small black box with a dangling red wire and little blue light investigated by Windsor's bomb squad Tuesday isn't actually dangerous — at least to the living.

The Windsor Police Explosives Disposal Unit were called to Mackenzie Hall around 7:15 p.m. to investigate a suspicious package. Police determined the package was "safe" and that there was no evidence of explosive material.Const. Andy Drouillard would not confirm whether a suspicious package in question was actually a ghost-hunting device that had been left behind.

But the spokesperson for the Listowel Paranormal Society said that little black box belonged to them. ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/windsor-bomb-squad-ghost-hunters-1.4577950

Originally a stupid mistake at first but then the association (not the FBI) continued to harass Mr Zanial.

A US employee association is being sued after restricting a Muslim man's membership over a row about a flag.

Munir Zanial let a property at a lake owned by the organisation for a Malaysian Independence Day party.

The FBI was alerted when an employee reported Muslim guests were displaying what was described as a US flag defaced with Islamic State group symbols.

The investigation ended when it emerged the flag was Malaysia's, but Mr Zanial was banned from hosting events.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Kansas has now filed a law suitaccusing the Spirit Boeing Employees Association of "racial profiling and blatant religious discrimination".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43484681

That’s right. Penalize an innocent man for the ignorant aggression of xenophobic twatheads.

Holy Chris what a silly mistake

Misspelled Acomb sign proclaims 'Chris is Risen'
  • 25 March 2016
_88945086_chirsisrisen.jpg
Image copyrightNED LUNN
Image captionThe signs were commissioned by Acomb Parish Church
A church was presented with signs reading "Chris is risen" after a mix up at the printers.

Acomb Parish Church, in York, had ordered four banners saying 'Christ is Risen' but the 'T' was missed off the finished article.
etc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-35899023

Good for Chris! His alarm clock must be working.

Not to be sniffed at.

Police confuse human remains for drugs

Police in Maine have been left red-faced after they seized 48 grams of what they believed to be heroin at the scene of a car accident. The two clear plastic bags they seized actually contained the ashes of one of the drivers’ fathers, who was waiting for the urn he had ordered to store the remains to be delivered.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/odd-news/9...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Helpful Hint: If you swap someone else's urine for your own in order to pass a drug screening, make sure the other person's urine will pass the test ...

Woman gets prison for using someone else’s tainted urine
An Ohio woman might want to ask some questions if she tries to borrow someone’s urine again to pass a drug test.

WTOV-TV reports 24-year-old Kiana Wallace was sentenced to 18 months in prison Monday, in eastern Ohio’s Belmont County, after submitting a borrowed urine sample that tested positive for drugs. Wallace pleaded guilty earlier this month to attempted tampering with evidence.

Judge Frank Fregiato called the failed urine swap “bizarre” and told Wallace he wouldn’t allow her to make a mockery of the drug and alcohol testing system.

Records show Wallace was sentenced to six months in jail followed by probation in January 2017 for drug possession. ...

SOURCE: https://apnews.com/a2b3b80a0e40486d...prison-for-using-someone-else's-tainted-urine

Chinese family shocked as pet dog turns out to be a bear

Evening Standard

Patrick Grafton-Green14/05/2018

A Chinese family was shocked when a pet dog they had raised for two years turned out to be a black bear.

The family bought what they thought was a Tibetan mastiff puppy while on holiday in 2016.

They realised the error when the animal would not stop growing and starting walking on two legs.

Su Yun, who lived near the city of Kunming in Yunnan province, told China News: “The more he grew, the more like a bear he looked.”

“I am a little scared of bears,” she added.
etc

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/news...-as-pet-dog-turns-out-to-be-a-bear/ar-AAxhy9C

Surely not :wide:

Mind you I almost had my nephew convinced his Jack Russell puppy was a hamster :)

My JRT arrived shaped exactly like a melon with legs and our big dog rolled her along the floor with his nose!

I disbelieve most trivial news stories from China. They are a distraction from the regime's appalling abuse of people and animals.

In the winter we were snowed in so i had to walk to my mums and leave my car at home, i also left my glasses as home as i didn't need them with not driving. Anyway on the way to mums i passed a field, there were trees and a dog stood by a tree, i thought nothing of it. I spent a few hours with mum then decided to walk home, i went the same way and was gobsmacked to see the dog was still stood by the same tree, my first thought was someone had tied him to the tree and abandoned him, so as a dog lover myself i went over to see what was going on, as i neared him he didn't move even though i was talking friendly to him, then when i was near him i realised it wasn't a dog, it was an abandoned childs rocking horse with bags of fly tipped rubbish! I couldn't move for laughing! I never leave my glasses at home anymore :doggy:

This looks like a hoax, a variation on the UL American tourists in Mexico who buy a Chihuahua pup that turns out to be a rat.

I've seen Chihuahuas. I think I'd prefer a rat.

That said, I came across a rat* in our garden the other day, and it made me jump somewhat, as I wasn't expecting the encounter, to say the least. More of a "How the F did it get in there?"...

Still preferable to a handbag dog, though.

*It may have been a filigree Siberian hamster**, of course. I only got a quick look.

**One for the kids, there...

I don't mean to seem flippant about this woman's accident, but it sounds like something I've seen a hundred times in cartoons ...

Woman mistakes dynamite for candle, suffers severe injuries, police say
When thunderstorms knocked out power for homes in Bridgeport, Connecticut, on Thursday, a 30-year-old woman grabbed what she thought was a candle. But she accidentally lit a stick of dynamite, and suffered severe injuries, police told CBS Boston.

Authorities say the tragic accident happened to the 30-year-old mother of two, who had gone to Home Depot earlier that evening to try and buy emergency lighting. The store was closed, so when she got back home, she went into her basement to grab what she believed were candles. The woman thought she picked up candle sticks left behind by the former residents of the house. What she grabbed was actually a quarter stick of dynamite, police said.

The woman was taken to the hospital with "extreme injuries" to her hands and may lose her fingers, CBS Boston reports. She suffered serious facial injuries, but the explosion did not injure anyone else.

It is against the law to have dynamite or fireworks in the state of Connecticut, but police aren't pressing charges. Both the police and fire department searched the home and removed another dynamite device.

Authorities reminded residents to have backup lighting in their home in the event of a power outage. Authorities also reminded people to report any suspicious items that could cause a fire to the police.

SOURCE: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bridge...-during-power-outage-suffers-severe-injuries/

No mention of why she should have had ths explosive in the house either.

And doesn't that Unicorn have a smug look on his face.

INT21

No mention of why she should have had ths explosive in the house either. ...

My impression (from this and other accounts) is that the things she remembered as candles were stored in the basement by someone else (e.g., a previous tenant).

...My impression (from this and other accounts) is that the things she remembered as candles were stored in the basement by someone else (e.g., a previous tenant)...

And somewhere a bank robber is wondering why the front of the safe didn't blow off.

INT21.

Back