• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Spudrick,

Here is the other end of the spectrum.

A niece of mine was clocked doing 92 mph down a local bypass that had a limit of 70 mph.

She had been caught before and only needed a couple more points on her licence to be banned.

But through various court delays it was two years before it came up.

And by then some of her point had expired.

So, a few days ago, she was given a big fine and three points. But due to the expiry, she kept her license.

Strange world.

INT21.

Having seen driverless cars demonstrated on Tomorrow's World this evening, it seems they do need drivers - so far. But as cars are an extension of the personality, I wonder how many of the arrogant, thoughtless drivers around these days would be willing to give up that self-expression?

I wouldn't consider cars to be an extension of the personality.

More like they are often the only way to go about one's business in a timely and efficient manner.

INT21

I wouldn't consider cars to be an extension of the personality.

More like they are often the only way to go about one's business in a timely and efficient manner.

INT21

Yup, they are an extension of the personality. People choose them and drive them according to how they feel about themselves. This is especially well borne out when business CAN'T be done in a timely and efficient manner. All hell breaks loose.

I was wondering how powerful her home computer must have been to be able to keep all that data on it? .. but if she's a PIXAR employee, very powerful indeed I expect.

Yeah that was one of the things I wondered (along with how, from an IT security point of view, she was allowed to take home the entire project). I also wasn't sure how the files could be deleted while they were in use, but as I'm not familiar with animation software I couldn't say for certain.

As for the lack of backups... unforgivable with something so important (things like that should have at least two backups and no way should they have let them lapse due to issued with the backup system), but unfortunately many companies fail to see the importance of backups so I can believe that bit.

An interesting story if true.

Yeah that was one of the things I wondered (along with how, from an IT security point of view, she was allowed to take home the entire project). I also wasn't sure how the files could be deleted while they were in use, but as I'm not familiar with animation software I couldn't say for certain.

As for the lack of backups... unforgivable with something so important (things like that should have at least two backups and no way should they have let them lapse due to issued with the backup system), but unfortunately many companies fail to see the importance of backups so I can believe that bit.

An interesting story if true.
If it is true, just imagine being that employee who decided to do that clean up ? .. he/she will probably never work in the industry again unless they are an extremely fast talker.

If it is true, just imagine being that employee who decided to do that clean up ? .. he/she will probably never work in the industry again unless they are an extremely fast talker.

Yup... I certainly wouldn't want to have to admit it though. Just think, whenever we're having a bad day at work, "not as bad as that guy" :D

I suppose he could spin it as "knowledge of obscure commands and shortcut methods of getting work done" or summat.

Yup... I certainly wouldn't want to have to admit it though. Just think, whenever we're having a bad day at work, "not as bad as that guy" :D

I suppose he could spin it as "knowledge of obscure commands and shortcut methods of getting work done" or summat.
Not that I want to turn this into the political correctness thread but 'he' could have been a 'she' .. jus sayin' .. either way, shittest day at work ever ..

It could happen to anyone. Unfortunately, Unix and Linux don't hold your hand (i.e. prompt you), so it's possible to delete everything just like that. Other operating systems will show a message (such as 'are you sure?') to double-check.
I seem to recall doing something similar back in the early days of DOS. I wiped out a load of files in one go, but thankfully I had made a backup onto tape. Lost a couple of days of work. So... I wrote a little batch file to flash up a prompt message. I also renamed format.com to danger.com to remind me. It never happened again.

Escargot,

..People choose them and drive them according to how they feel about themselves. ..

So kindly explain to me why I am driving a 17 year old Diesel Saxo and not the Alpha Romeo Spyder that my character dictates ?

INT21.

Escargot,

..People choose them and drive them according to how they feel about themselves. ..

So kindly explain to me why I am driving a 17 year old Diesel Saxo and not the Alpha Romeo Spyder that my character dictates ?

INT21.

i assume that's all you can afford. That'll be 2/6, please.

This story seems more 'Silly Mistake' than 'Back from the Dead' ...
Irish soccer team sorry for falsely reporting player’s death
A death notice for a soccer player was posted in a local newspaper. A game was postponed. Teams across the league held a minute’s silence.

Soccer clubs in the Leinster Senior League in Ireland united over the weekend to honor the memory of a player who was thought to have been killed in a traffic accident last week.

Turns out it was all one big mistake.

Amateur team Ballybrack FC has apologized for a “gross error of judgment” after falsely reporting that one of its players, Fernando Nuno La Fuente, died on Thursday.

La Fuente is, in fact, still alive, the team said.

“This grave and unacceptable mistake was completely out of character and was made by a person who has been experiencing severe personal difficulties unbeknownst to any other members of the club,” Ballybrack said ...

The club said the person in question was fired after an emergency meeting. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/1914b60c13524c4cb85b66bcb878c502

Man's dream holiday ruined after he accidentally ticks box saying he's a terrorist

Yes, apparently there's a box asking this on US visa applications.

John Steveson and his wife Marion have always wanted to go to New York, and decided his 70th birthday would be the perfect opportunity.

They splashed out £3,000 on the trip, and were counting down the days but then a call from the US Customs and Border Protection left their dream in tatters.

The cabbie was told by US official that he's now considered a "threat to their national security" and he might struggle to travel to other countries because of the error.

Surely the border protection people should have realised that anyone who would intentional tick 'yes' to such a question hasn't the brain power to be an effective terrorist.
And sent someone from the local FBI branch to have a chat with him.
He probably misread it as 'not' a terrorist.

INT21

Zebra,

From #841 above.

..I have an image in my mind of a burnt-out house upon which a spider is sitting, completely unharmed ..

Reminds me of the final scene from 'Hanger 18'.

INT21.

Update from my post #830 above.

The engine is (probably) ruined.

We had a couple of fine days so I investigate further. Removed the camshaft to allow me to turn the crank. It wouldn't.

Then saw one of the cam followers sitting lower than the rest.

And a dark cloud descended from the heavens.

So, a bent valve at least. Possibly a smashed piston.

I've been weighing up my options. May go for a second hand engine if I can get one cheap enough from the scrappers.

I'll carry on and remove the head to reveal the full extent of the damage.

INT21.

Be careful of syntax when using Twitter.

Mr Giuliani left out a space between a full stop and the following word within a tweet, which caused the text to become a link.

The prankster subsequently acquired the webpage it directed users to. There, they posted a brief message saying: "Donald J Trump is a traitor to our country."

Mr Giuliani's tweet - which has been "liked" more than 39,000 times and retweeted more than 14,000 times - is still live, at the time of writing, four days after being created.

Skip Twitter post by @RudyGiuliani

Rudy Giuliani

@RudyGiuliani

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1068570837459050496

Mueller filed an indictment just as the President left for http://G-20.In July he indicted the Russians who will never come here just before he left for Helsinki.Either could have been done earlier or later. Out of control!Supervision please?

6:21 PM - Nov 30, 2018 · Manhattan, NY
Twitter Ads info and privacy

29.6K people are talking about this

End of Twitter post by @RudyGiuliani

Twitter turns text into a hyperlink only if it recognises the letters after a full stop as representing an established top-level domain (TLD) name.

In this case, the former New York mayor was unlucky to have begun his follow-up sentence with the word "in" - which is used to denote domains operated under the authority of India.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46440529

Giant 200-year-old redwood tree cut down 'by mistake'
  • 28 November 2018
A 200-year-old giant redwood tree in Swansea has been chopped down "by mistake" by a housing developer.

The tree was planted by the land-owning family who created what is now Penllergaer Valley Woods.

Enzo's Homes are building 80 new homes at the site of the former Valley Woods house.

The boss of the company, Enzo Sauro, said the giant redwood had been cut down by mistake and they would "replace it with a mature replica tree".

Continued in face-palming detail:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-46380554

• 28 November 2018
A 200-year-old giant redwood tree in Swansea has been chopped down "by mistake" by a housing developer.

The tree was planted by the land-owning family who created what is now Penllergaer Valley Woods.

Enzo's Homes are building 80 new homes at the site of the former Valley Woods house.

The boss of the company, Enzo Sauro, said the giant redwood had been cut down by mistake and they would "replace it with a mature replica tree".

Yes and it wouldn't be the first time a building firm has "accidentally" knocked something down that was in the way of their development. They pay the token fine and build over it.

• 28 November 2018

Well that's all right then, because replacing it with a "mature replica tree" will be just the same. Cheesus.

:slapd:

Brand new Range Rovers and a Jaguar had their roofs torn off after a lorry driver smashed into a rail bridge.

The mishap occurred at 8.30am today when the vehicle transporter towing 4x4s, some still in their plastic wrapping, ploughed under a railway bridge in Perth, Perthshire.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/range...as-transporter-hits-scottish-bridge-1-4819080

(It'll buff out)

Another one happened today (17 December 2018), this time in Edinburgh.

image.jpg

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....r-hits-low-rail-bridge-in-edinburgh-1-4845168

Another one happened today (17 December 2018), this time in Edinburgh.

Traffic/rail bridge strikes are troublesome and costly all round. Roads are closed while the mess is cleared and the bridge must be surveyed to make sure it's safe for trains to go over before it can be used again.

Causes huge disruption on the railways even if the bridge is serviceable right away as nothing can use it until it's been surveyed and passed. This can be done quickly, sometimes within an hour, but in the meantime all the trains that should have used the bridge are backed up.

A few years ago Network Rail painted up all the railway bridges with the warning chevrons that you see on that bridge and installed new road signs in an attempt to stop collisions.

Back