• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Notts County owner accidentally tweets dick pic then puts club up for sale

Says it all really. Presumably it's his dick although it's not spelt out.

"This morning an inappropriate photo appeared in one of my tweets. This was clearly an honest mistake as a result of my camera roll being included in a screenshot," he posted.
"I tried to rectify the error by deleting the tweet as soon as I noticed and I apologise for any offence caused."
The club is currently rock bottom of the football league, 8 points adrift.

Notts County owner accidentally tweets dick pic then puts club up for sale

Says it all really. Presumably it's his dick although it's not spelt out.

The club is currently rock bottom of the football league, 8 points adrift.
This is tackled in today's David Squires cartoon in the Guardian. The rest of the strip will only make sense to fotball fans, but David Squires is a genius and one of the highlights of my week. I only have two football books among my hundreds or thousands of books – both by Squires.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...unwanted-screen-imagery-football-notts-county

This is tackled in today's David Squires cartoon in the Guardian. The rest of the strip will only make sense to fotball fans, but David Squires is a genius and one of the highlights of my week. I only have two football books among my hundreds or thousands of books – both by Squires.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...unwanted-screen-imagery-football-notts-county

I read his strip every week but a lot of the references whoosh over my head. I have to read the comments to get the connection. His drawings are great though & his Mourinho as emo teen made me laugh.

Not sure if this counts as a mistake, strictly, but I was posting on a forum about old comics, and whenever I typed the name of the late comic book artist Carmine Infantino, my phone's predictive text changed it to Canine Infantile, which without meaning any disrespect to the great man, really amused me.

Étron? Thought the word was merde.

Ok, this one should really be filed under "Really stupid mistake that absolutely nobody in the company noticed might be a bit racist".

Luxury fashion brand Gucci has withdrawn a woollen jumper from sale after the item was criticised for "resembling blackface."

The black "balaclava jumper" covered the lower half of the face and featured a red cut-out around the mouth.

The item prompted a backlash on social media by users who claimed the design was offensive.

In a statement, Gucci apologised for any offence caused and said it would be removed from sale.

The brand said it would turn the incident "into a powerful learning moment for the Gucci team" and was committed to increasing diversity.

_105545903_springfashiongucci.png

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47153413

They just need to make it a different colour. Purple?

How could anyone look at that and not see, what, blackface, an English Golly toy, the Black and White Minstrels? Whoever designed it needs a talking-to but the person who passed it for sale is even stupider.

Just a note to say that the whole of this subreddit (Reddit category) could be posted here.
It's titled What Could Go Wrong? and features some of the poorest decision-making caught on contemporary video.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Whatcouldgowrong/

Warning: there's nothing super-graphic, but it's likely that there are probable deaths buried somewhere in there.
Warning 2: you could waste hours watching these!

Happened today. My wife and I went shopping at Morrison's. I left my car in their car park and went off to have a coffee in my usual cafe while she did the shopping. But I had first to collect a 5 litre bottle of veg oil from a shop in the same location as the cafe.

I got the oil, went into the cafe and sat down to enjoy my espresso. And then there as the 'dingati ding' of my phone alarm tellin me it was five to four. I am supposed to take a tablet close to four o'clock. Anyway, I canceled the alarm, knowing that there would also be an identical warning at four o'clock on my other phone (long story). and sure enough, the alarm sounded. So I pulled out the phone and cancelled it. But it wouldn't stop.
After a couple of minutes of this ringing I still couldn't get the alarm to stop. I even took out the battery'; didn't work.

By now people were looking around at me clearly getting annoyed at the continual sound. So I gulped down the coffee and went back to the car. To do this I had to walk maybe a quarter mile through the town centre including the shopping mall. All the time accompanied by the alarm. Lots of strange looks directed my way.

Made it back to the car. Pulled out the phone to further investigate.

Then a thought ' the sound doesn't seem to change when I moved the phone from my pocket'; odd.

And then the silly mistake became apparent. it was the wrong phone. When I had cancelled the five to four alarm I had actually only put it in 'snooze' mode. So five minutes later it started again.
As I carry both phones in the breast pockets of my shirt they are quite close together. And it wasn't obvious which phone was ringing.

So I was denied the pleasure of a slow sipping of my espresso through a stupid error.

A wasted £1.60.

INT21.

Happened today. My wife and I went shopping at Morrison's. I left my car in their car park and went off to have a coffee in my usual cafe while she did the shopping. But I had first to collect a 5 litre bottle of veg oil from a shop in the same location as the cafe.

I got the oil, went into the cafe and sat down to enjoy my espresso. And then there as the 'dingati ding' of my phone alarm tellin me it was five to four. I am supposed to take a tablet close to four o'clock. Anyway, I canceled the alarm, knowing that there would also be an identical warning at four o'clock on my other phone (long story). and sure enough, the alarm sounded. So I pulled out the phone and cancelled it. But it wouldn't stop.
After a couple of minutes of this ringing I still couldn't get the alarm to stop. I even took out the battery'; didn't work.

By now people were looking around at me clearly getting annoyed at the continual sound. So I gulped down the coffee and went back to the car. To do this I had to walk maybe a quarter mile through the town centre including the shopping mall. All the time accompanied by the alarm. Lots of strange looks directed my way.

Made it back to the car. Pulled out the phone to further investigate.

Then a thought ' the sound doesn't seem to change when I moved the phone from my pocket'; odd.

And then the silly mistake became apparent. it was the wrong phone. When I had cancelled the five to four alarm I had actually only put it in 'snooze' mode. So five minutes later it started again.
As I carry both phones in the breast pockets of my shirt they are quite close together. And it wasn't obvious which phone was ringing.

So I was denied the pleasure of a slow sipping of my espresso through a stupid error.

A wasted £1.60.

INT21.

Yup, easily done. I set an alarm recently to remind me to do something and it when off while I was driving. It sounded like a call which I didn't try to answer in case I crashed and caused a disaster.

When I was parked up I looked for the call but couldn't find it, and didn't remember about the alarm until an hour or so later.

Power cut off as living room bulb had demised and resulted in a, 'fuse' there.

Consequently endeavoring to resolve same... in the dark cupboard where fuse box inhabits, enquired of son... 'Cannae quite see here, could you stick the light on'?

Just a note to say that the whole of this subreddit (Reddit category) could be posted here.
It's titled What Could Go Wrong? and features some of the poorest decision-making caught on contemporary video.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Whatcouldgowrong/

Warning: there's nothing super-graphic, but it's likely that there are probable deaths buried somewhere in there.
Warning 2: you could waste hours watching these!
Also the @AwardsDarwin Twitter account. I confess I find that horribly compelling: just what were they thinking?

ETA different platforms, more or less the same clips.

Last edited:
Man travels with a Picasso vase worth circa $11,000 in a shopping bag. He changes trains, but forgets to take his shopping bag with him ... :doh: :roll:
Man leaves original Picasso on train

A man left a Picasso vase worth more than $11,000 on a train in Germany, and police have so far been unable to track it down.

Carrying his precious cargo in a large shopping bag, the 76-year-old man was traveling from Kassel in central Germany to the western city of Dusseldorf on February 15.

But when he changed trains mid-journey, he accidentally left the vase -- which he had placed on the floor of the train -- behind.

According to German police, the owner contacted the crew immediately after departing the train. But despite a search, the vase was nowhere to be seen.

Police described the incident as a case of "monumental forgetfulness" and said the vase had been pinched by an "unknown culprit." They called on witnesses to come forward. ...

SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/style/article/picasso-vase-own-left-german-train-intl-scli-ger/index.html

I do like the vase!

I have a feeling this is the sort of spur-of-the-moment lark that caused many a mysterious situation later interpreted as Fortean ...

Fortunately, in this case everything turned out OK after grandma floated away off the Icelandic beach ...

Streng-1.jpg
Streng-2.jpg

Grandma floats away on ice throne during photoshoot
A Texas grandma who sat on a throne-shaped piece of ice in Iceland ended up needing to be rescued when it floated away with her on top.

Judith Streng said she was traveling in Iceland with her son, Rod Streng, when they spotted some people taking photos on the iceberg throne at Diamond Beach in Jorkulsarlon.

"It was shaped like an easy place to sit. You can tell by looking at the shape of it, and I thought well it looks like fun" ...

"When I got on it, it started to totter and a wave was coming in," Streng said. "A very large wave came in and kind of made the throne kind of rock, and I could tell that I was slipping off." ...

The ice chunk floated away with Streng still on top, but the woman was soon rescued by ... a Florida man who was boating nearby. ...

Streng said she has no regrets about the incident.

"I thought it [would] be quite fun. You know I always wanted to be queen. I mean, come on, that was my chance," she said.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...n-ice-throne-during-photoshoot/6761551457169/

I have a feeling this is the sort of spur-of-the-moment lark that caused many a mysterious situation later interpreted as Fortean ...

Fortunately, in this case everything turned out OK after grandma floated away off the Icelandic beach ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...n-ice-throne-during-photoshoot/6761551457169/

When I was there last year we saw lots of people photographing each other draped over huge lumps of ice. It takes a special kind of stupidity to nearly drown yourself on one.

Stupid prick!

An unlicensed gun owner in Indiana is recovering in a hospital after accidentally shooting himself in the penis.

Mark Anthony Jones, 46, told police in Marion that he was taking a morning walk when the Hi-Point 9mm handgun he was carrying in his waistband “began to slip,” according to The Smoking Gun. Jones told police that when he “reached down to adjust” the unholstered gun, it discharged, shooting a bullet that “entered just above his penis and exited his scrotum,” according to a Marion Police Department news release posted on Facebook:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mark...cid=newsltushpmgnews__TheMorningEmail__030519

Back