• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

This Italian priest live streamed mass using Facebook to accommodate worshippers who were sheltering in place with net connections.

He unwittingly left the Facebook AR filters activated, resulting in his image being creatively modified.

Don-Paolo-Longo.jpg

Italian priest accidentally live streams mass with Facebook filters active

An Italian priest's live streamed mass on Facebook went viral after the religious leader accidentally left the platform's AR filters active, causing him to appear in various cartoon disguises.

Paolo Longo, parish priest of the Church of San Pietro and San Benedetto di Polla in Salerno province, live streamed mass on Facebook to allow parishioners to attend the service virtually amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Longo's video went viral when he accidentally left the Facebook AR filters active during the live stream, causing him to appear with animated accessories including a sci-fi helmet, lifting dumbbells and a hat and sunglasses.

The priest had a sense of humor about the mistake, later posting: "Even a laugh is good."
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...s-with-Facebook-filters-active/3661585080861/

:doh: He's not the first one to do so . . .

This is what happens when astrophysicists get bored.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus device

An Australian astrophysicist has been admitted to hospital after getting four magnets stuck up his nose in an attempt to invent a device that stops people touching their faces during the coronavirus outbreak.

Dr Daniel Reardon, a research fellow at Melbourne’s Swinburne University, was building a necklace that sounds an alarm on facial contact, when the mishap occurred on Thursday night.

The 27 year-old astrophysicist, who studies pulsars and gravitational waves, said he was trying to liven up the boredom of self-isolation with the four powerful neodymium magnets.

Bless him, he was trying to help.

Checkout horrors seem to be getting worse. Just occasionally, the belt is moving, the cashier smiling and I get a free run . . .

Beware of the place-holder in the queue. She has one item on the belt but daughter is about to arrive with a trolley piled high . . .

"Excuse me. Can I just get through there . . . ?"

"Excuse me but No!"

Beware the clothing items, children's clothing especially. Cashier will helpfully point out that strap is missing or it comes with a top or no, that one is not part of the 3-for-£5 deal . . . Cue runner or manager. Label-switchers in these parts love children's clothing and are prepared to argue their case!

Beware all Reduced Stickers. Actually, this is where I become the nuisance-shopper, as attempts to override the original bar-code result in creases, illegible stickers or even the dreaded, "this product isn't on the system. I can't sell it to you."

As nuisance-shoppers go, I am courteous enough to offer to leave some problem items, even that bottle of gin for 10p. "I'm afraid this label seems to have come from celery . . . " :p

I rarely do anything but yellow sticker shopping but I always thank the staff for their patience if they have trouble with the labels.
I

At university a lad in my Halls was magic mushroom enthusiast - he once spent many early morning hours collecting a decent autumnal hoard, boiled them into a tea, and drained them over the sink with a colander.

It was only after he finished that he realised he should have kept the liquid and chucked the mushrooms.
We used to do both, that is, drink the liquid and re dry the shrooms .. 40 shrooms was a perfect trip before I'd even heard of micro dosing, I could never understand why some of my mates would take a 100-200 dose.

Rather have a pony, eh?

I'll just leave this here...
Warming, for mature audiences only.

In addition to warming the cockles of my heart I can recommend his podcast, the Blindboy podcast, with the caveat that we Irish use certain Anglo Saxon words in an affectionate way.

"Just realised my soap wasn’t working because it’s literally a block of cheese,” she wrote.

“It was a couple days of 'Why isn’t this foaming?!'

"I come to realise it was a dried-out square of Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese.
“I suspect I left it out when I was intoxicated and just forgot.”

People were quick to comment on the major handwashing mishap and the most obvious question.
One asked “But that must mean...... have we been eating Mac&Soap the entire week??”
A second echoed those concerns: “Does that mean you put the soap in the fridge?”
While a third said: “To be fair to you it does look like a block of soap.”

https://www.irishpost.com/news/woman-discovers-bar-soap-shes-washing-hands-days-block-cheese-181710

"Just realised my soap wasn’t working because it’s literally a block of cheese,” she wrote.

Suggestions for staving off C19 cabin fever:

Hint 1: Make a list of things in your house which should, and shouldn’t, have blue veins in them.

Hint 2: Reconsider your use of the word “literally”.

maximus otter

Timely Tip: If you're a broadcaster working from home, make sure your less than full attire isn't apparent on your video feed.
A reporter went on air wearing a suit coat and no pants, not realizing everyone could see his legs

Most of us have lost count of the days we've been in quarantine, working at home in pajamas and forgetting when we last went outdoors.

ABC News reporter Will Reeve might relate, except he seems to have forgotten something slightly more important: pants.

Reeve appeared Tuesday on "Good Morning America" for a segment about pharmacies using drones to deliver prescriptions to patients.

But at one point, Reeve, who acts as his own cameraman as he broadcasts from home, was positioned so it was quite clear he was dressed in a suit jacket -- but no pants. Viewers quickly took to Twitter to call him out.

"I have ARRIVED," Reeve tweeted back. "In the most hilariously mortifying way possible."

In response to a tweet asking him to put on some pants, Reeve assured everyone he'd been wearing shorts. ...
SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/28/us/good-morning-america-will-reeve-no-pants-trnd/index.html

As I was out on my weekly socially distancing constitutional today, I overheard a very young child on the other side of the street telling his adult companion about someone who'd been wearing no pants. Adult indulgently asked what the person had been wearing instead. There was a moment that resembled the process of coming up with a logical answer where there is no data. The answer provided was "well, nothing!"
True story.

She paid £200 for that poorly-done scrawl?

Hmmm....either she was horribly ripped off, or someone is exaggerating the actual cost (probably more like "I gave Nigel from no.42 a cup of tea and some bourbon biscuits plus a tenner for his trouble)

She paid £200 for that poorly-done scrawl?
That's what i was thinking, and she should have been ok with the cones surely and did they really racially abuse her or is this something that she threw in there to help her cause, i don't believe everything that comes out of peoples mouths these days.

Catastrophic error.

Armed police and a helicopter were scrambled to reports of a tiger on the loose in the countryside - only to find the wild animal was a life-size model.

Officers responding to the call in Underriver, Kent, on Saturday were met by the sculpture's creator.

"I took them down to the sculpture where they all had a good laugh and took a lot of photographs," artist Juliet Simpson, 85, said.

Kent Police said it found there was "no animal and no risk to the public".

Told by a neighbour that police were investigating reports of a loose big cat, Mrs Simpson set off up the lane near her home.

"Out of the field opposite came a whole crowd of armed police, who by then knew that it was all a false alarm and I said 'would they like to be introduced to my real live tiger?'" she told BBC Radio Kent.

"It looks quite real, it's meant to look real and it is about 30 metres from the footpath so you can't see it very closely."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-52520773

Back