• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Sort of idiots who would lose their shirt on the stock market

A society promoting legendary outlaw Robin Hood has seen a huge surge in its social media following from people confusing it with the US stock trading platform Robinhood.

The World Wide Robin Hood Society promotes the tales of the hero and his connections with Nottinghamshire. More than 33,000 people began following the group on Twitter in 24 hours.

It comes as the trading platform with the same name curbed buying of shares in US electronics shop GameStop. Robinhood hit the headlines for restricting the firm's trading shares, causing outrage among Americans buying the company's stock with the aim of pushing up the price.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-55849192

A bad/sad news story regarding the Robinhood App and a mistake.

The parents of a man who killed himself last year have filed a lawsuit against trading app Robinhood over his death.

The lawsuit, first reported by CBS News, said 20-year-old Alex Kearns mistakenly believed he owed $730,000 (£530,000) when he took his own life. Dan and Dorothy Kearns say their son was unable to get help or support from customer services before he died. Robinhood said in a statement to the BBC they were "devastated" by Alex's death and had made improvements.

Speaking to CBS, the parents of Alex Kearns say he began using Robinhood just before he graduated high school. Mr and Mrs Kearns say they did not know the app had also approved him to buy and sell options - a risky financial instrument - despite a lack of financial experience. They say their son realised on 11 June 2020 that his account had been restricted by Robinhood amid what appeared to be a negative balance of more than $700,000 on his account.

CBS reports the student received an automated email at 03:26 early the next morning asking him to take "immediate action" to pay more than $170,000 within days.

His parents say an email from Robinhood, received the day after his death, clarified that trading restrictions had been lifted and the trade resolved.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55990461

The lawsuit, first reported by CBS News, said 20-year-old Alex Kearns mistakenly believed he owed $730,000 (£530,000) when he took his own life. Dan and Dorothy Kearns say their son was unable to get help or support from customer services before he died.

Poor lad. Can relate as I once had a slightly similar experience, viz.-

At a very stressful time in my life I had a bill from Legal Aid for my divorce. £29,000-odd.
Nearly dropped dead as I had nowhere near that amount of money. Well, no money at all, really.

Tried ringing them but got nowhere; was more or less told 'Get it paid and everything will be all right.'

Not exaggerating here, I briefly contemplated going to the DIY for a towrope to hang myself with.

Instead I rang the Citizens' Advice Bureau. They agreed to see me right away (which was a minor miracle in itself) and the bloke read the letter.

He said 'We've had lots of these through. Go home and forget about it. You won't hear another word from them. Can we keep the letter as evidence?'
I thanked him, gratefully surrendered the letter and indeed heard no more.

So yeah, poor lad. I was twice his age and it scared me silly to think I'd accidentally run up that bill. He must have been distraught.
And I wonder how many other people had a spurious Legal Aid bill like mine for scores of thousands of pounds and actually did kill themselves?

Reports of a white tiger hanging out alongside a Maryland Interstate expressway greatly exaggerated the tiger's living status ...
'White tiger' reported on Maryland highway was a 'lifelike figurine'

Police in Maryland said officers responding to a report of a white tiger perched on a highway wall arrived to find the reported big cat was a life-sized tiger figurine.

The Montgomery County Department of Police said a driver on Interstate 270 called 911 to report a tiger was perched on a jersey wall near Montrose Road. ...

A Rockville City Police officer was the first to arrive on the scene and discovered the reported loose animal was "a large, lifelike, figurine," the department of police said.

Police said they do not know how the figurine came to be abandoned on the highway wall, but the white tiger now has a new home at the police station.

"How and why the tiger came to find himself on the interstate remains a mystery. We're happy to report that the tiger has been adopted by MCP's 1st District officers and has found a new perch at the station - where he is sure to only interrupt foot traffic," the department tweeted.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...ighway-was-a-lifelike-figurine/3001612901725/

Woman sticks her hair in place with strong glue, lives to regret it -

The forever ponytail: woman shares ordeal after using Gorilla Glue on her hair

:chuckle:
Trips to the emergency room have followed to help Brown get rid of what she is calling her “forever ponytail”, plus remedies such as coconut oil and tea tree oil – some have even suggested she may seek legal action, although this has not yet been confirmed.

WTF!!!
why the f*ck is she wasting emergency workers time for being stupid and how is she thinking of sueing the glue company!!!

Trips to the emergency room have followed to help Brown get rid of what she is calling her “forever ponytail”, plus remedies such as coconut oil and tea tree oil – some have even suggested she may seek legal action, although this has not yet been confirmed.

WTF!!!
why the f*ck is she wasting emergency workers time for being stupid and how is she thinking of sueing the glue company!!!

:chuckle:

The company replied that she hadn't followed the directions. She hasn't a leg to stand on, litigation-wise.

Another shagging on Zoom story. In this one it was a lawyer during a virtual court hearing in Peru.

Hector Paredes Robles was branded a disgrace to his profession by the judge presiding over the virtual hearing after launching into his X-rated performance while his camera was on.
I'm surprised no one picked up on this in the story: "He was also told he would face two separate probes..."

Fear not the Stockton Kraken ... :reyes:
911 call about dismembered body leads to finding mannequin parts

The California Highway Patrol said troopers responding to a report of body parts floating in the water next to a highway ramp were relieved to discover the limbs and torsos actually were mannequin parts.

The CHP said a trucker who caught a glimpse of the seemingly grisly sight at the Arch Road on-ramp near Highway 99 in Stockton called 911 to report a suspected dismembered body floating in the water. ...

Troopers arrived and discovered multiple mannequin torsos, arms and legs floating in the water, instead.

The CHP joked in a Facebook post that the scene was the result of the lovelorn "Stockton Kraken" going on a Valentine's Day killing spree.

The mannequin parts were removed by the California Department of Transportation to prevent further 911 calls from alarmed drivers.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...ads-to-finding-mannequin-parts/8331613506804/

Bad day at work

Citibank wired nearly $1,000,000,000 by mistake but can only get half back

The US District Court judge ruled that despite committing one of the ‘biggest blunders in banking history’, the bank cannot recover the money accidentally sent to Revlon’s lenders.

Citibank, Revlon’s loan agent, intended to send around $8 million in interest payments to the cosmetic company’s lenders, CNN reported.

But instead, the whole loan of almost 100 times that amount was repaid, including $175 million to a hedge fund.

In total, the money mistakenly wired totalled $900 million.

A day later, the problem was realised and an alert sent out to try and recover the cash – but it was too late to get back all of it.

Revlon lenders defended not paying the money back as they said they thought it was sent intentionally, which is a defence under New York law.

The money sent was the amount ‘to the penny’ that was owed them by Citibank, but the loan was not yet set to mature.

Why dont things like this never happen to me?
I had the opposite once, received a bank statement to say $125 000 had gone out, needless to say there was no where near that sort of money in the account. Phoned the bank and they didn’t bat an eyelid and said they would just transfer that amount into my account to cancel it out as if that sort of thing happened all the time!

I had the opposite once, received a bank statement to say $125 000 had gone out, needless to say there was no where near that sort of money in the account. Phoned the bank and they didn’t bat an eyelid and said they would just transfer that amount into my account to cancel it out as if that sort of thing happened all the time!
It happens all the time, thanks to the leaky security they have at banks.

Since no humans were injured, I'm going to rank this as a silly mistake. An Italian tank mistakenly shot a round into a local chicken coop or building while participating in a night exercise. The chicken casualties were on the order of 100 according to another news outlet.
Tank blows up chicken farm by mistake

A tank taking part in military exercises near Pordenone Wednesday got its aim wrong and blew up a chicken farm by mistake, local sources said Thursday.

Several chickens were killed by the round, owners discovered on Thursday morning while sifting through the wreckage.

No one was hurt.

Police have impounded the four tanks engaged in the exercise.

The farm is located on the outskirts of the small town of Vivaro.

Prosecutors in Pordenone have opened an investigation into the incident.

FULL STORY: https://www.ansa.it/english/news/20...ake_bbd6db5f-43b0-43ad-bc7b-327ba2012069.html

Since no humans were injured, I'm going to rank this as a silly mistake. An Italian tank mistakenly shot a round into a local chicken coop or building while participating in a night exercise. The chicken casualties were on the order of 100 according to another news outlet.

FULL STORY: https://www.ansa.it/english/news/20...ake_bbd6db5f-43b0-43ad-bc7b-327ba2012069.html

“Italian Army, jealous of chickens’ legendary gallantry, musters enough courage to shell their home while they’re asleep.”

maximus otter

Maybe they needed more feathers for their hats :p

CJV5yQaWgAAOpXx.jpg

Back