• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Only in the last few months have l learned the word awry is not pronounced AWE-ree, as l have been doing all my life.

:glum:

maximus otter

I can empathise.

There is a Slovenian company that is the absolute best exhaust system manufacturer in motorsport, dealing with MotoGP teams, WSBK, F1, etc.

The spelling is Akrapovic.

Most people in these islands pronounced it Akra -Poe-Vic

To a Slovenian ear, this is butchery and hurts their ears.

It is pronounced A-krap-o-vich.

It means Scorpion.

With so many Eastern Europeans here, there was always much laughter on mentioning exactly the kind of exhaust system you had on your bike.

[Cringe]

Egypt's Suez Canal blocked by large container ship

Egypt's Suez Canal has been blocked by a large container ship that ran aground after losing control, causing a traffic jam of cargo vessels in the region.

Tug boats were deployed to help shift the 400m-long (1312ft) and 59m-wide ship - the Ever Given - but there are fears it could remain trapped for days.

The incident occurred just north of the port of Suez early on Tuesday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-56505413

So many ships use the Suez Canal it will have a massive effect.
I remember seeing one of those travel shows like the 'pole to pole' or similar and the 'waiting area' for vessels planning to use the canal.
Hundreds of 'em.
1616578425085.png

Isn't "saxibiliy" an adverb used to describe Benny Hill chase scenes?

I guess if you're going to embarrass your institution you may as well go big ...

The University of Kentucky mistakenly sent out a half-million acceptance notices for a program that only accepts a few new students each year. The vast majority of the students receiving the erroneous notices hadn't applied to that program. Some hadn't formally applied to the university. Some hadn't even visited the university website, much less been in contact with the university, at all.
:doh: :roll:
University of Kentucky mistakenly sends 500,000 acceptances

The University of Kentucky mistakenly sent acceptance emails to 500,000 high school seniors for a program that usually accepts about three dozen students a year.

The school followed up with another email less than 24 hours later and apologized for its mistake, citing a “technical issue” ...

“Only a handful of those on the prospect list had been admitted to UK,” UK spokesman Jay Blanton said. “The vast majority had not, nor had the vast majority of these students expressed an interest in the program. ...”

The acceptance was for this fall in the clinical leadership and management program in the College of Health Sciences. ...

Mary Dougherty, a senior from San Antonio, Texas, received the email.

“I was like, ‘Mom, I just got accepted into the University of Kentucky.’ And she’s like, ‘Oh, I didn’t know you applied to University of Kentucky.’ And I was like, ‘oh, I did not’” ...

Other students said they never applied to UK, visited or even went on its website. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/science-kentucky-5953f92673185b7f7baed3937d876d16

I guess if you're going to embarrass your institution you may as well go big ...

The University of Kentucky mistakenly sent out a half-million acceptance notices for a program that only accepts a few new students each year. The vast majority of the students receiving the erroneous notices hadn't applied to that program. Some hadn't formally applied to the university. Some hadn't even visited the university website, much less been in contact with the university, at all.
:doh: :roll:

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/science-kentucky-5953f92673185b7f7baed3937d876d16
Makes you wonder where the university got the contact information from for all these people that had never visited, applied or even knew about the university :thought:

I know of a university that once mistakenly sent out a small number of acceptances to students who did not meet their admissions criteria - mostly because of poor performance at another school they were transferring out of. They decided to allow the students to attend anyway, with a few exceptions. One student was told "How could you possibly think this wasn't a mistake given your record?" They allowed him to take some courses on a trial basis as a part-time non-matriculated student, expecting him to flunk out again. Instead he did quite well and wound up matriculating and graduating.

Tui plane in ‘serious incident’ after every ‘Miss’ on board was assigned child’s weight
News story

Their computer only recognised passengers registered as "Miss" as a child, and "Ms" as an adult. Not only was that presumptuous, it could have been very nasty.

This is a weird one - 89 year old woman taken by ambulance to wrong house.

Elizabeth Mahoney had been in County Hospital in Pontypool, Torfaen, for 10 weeks being treated for Covid-19.

But when she was discharged on 12 March, instead of being taken home, Ms Mahoney's son Brian said she was taken to a stranger's house in Newport.

He said his wife went to meet his mum at her home in Pontypool on the day she was due to be discharged because he had a cold.

But when there was no sign of her, Mr Mahoney called the hospital to see where she was and was told the ward manager would call him back because there had been "a bit of an issue".

Mr Mahoney said they had learned from the ambulance service that his mother had been put to bed in the mystery house.
Then it gets weirder - the man in whose house she'd put to bed doesn't realise it's the wrong woman.

He added that he had been told the man who lived there had been expecting the arrival of his sister, who had dementia, but had not immediately realised Mrs Mahoney was not his sister.

Elizabeth Mahoney had been in County Hospital in Pontypool, Torfaen, for 10 weeks being treated for Covid-19.

But when she was discharged on 12 March, instead of being taken home, Ms Mahoney's son Brian said she was taken to a stranger's house in Newport.

Then it gets weirder - the man in whose house she'd put to bed doesn't realise it's the wrong woman.
That really needs a laughing smiley too as well as a shocked one!!

How did the ambulance crew get into the house?

How did the ambulance crew get into the house?

I'm assuming he let them in. Either he didn't look too closely or he doesn't recognise his own sister..

In his defence I suppose if you're expecting a woman to arrive by ambulance you wouldn't suspect the wrong woman would be delivered. But you'd think he would've noticed & told them straight away.. It's all a bit peculiar.

I'm assuming he let them in. Either he didn't look too closely or he doesn't recognise his own sister..

In his defence I suppose if you're expecting a woman to arrive by ambulance you wouldn't suspect the wrong woman would be delivered. But you'd think he would've noticed & told them straight away.. It's all a bit peculiar.
Maybe he was really pissed or high on drugs?

I've done loads of stupid stuff when either pissed or high on drugs :tumble:

Why I'm sober now!! Lol!

Note For Future Reference: The thing going bump in the night might be one of your automated toys ... :roll:

It's happened again. A mother was awakened at 0100 by noises that convinced her a burglar was in her home.
Police respond to report of home intruder, find robot vacuum

Police responding to a report of an intruder at a California home broke down the front door and stormed the house to find the suspected burglar was actually the owner's robot vacuum.

Yana Sydnor said she and her 2-year-old daughter were sleeping at their Natomas home when she was awakened by a sound she thought was an intruder in her home. ...

Sydnor said she texted friends to tell them there was a burglar in her home.

"I was like, 'Hey, someone is in my house,' and they were like, 'Call the police.' I was like, 'Oh yeah, yeah, call the police.'"

Sydnor called 911 and hid in the bathroom with her daughter.

She said she heard police break down her front door moments later, followed by the sound of laughter.

The police discovered the suspected intruder was the family's robot vacuum.

"My son turned on the vacuum cleaner because he didn't want to do chores before he left for the weekend. We hadn't used this vacuum in almost two years. It went down the stairs," Sydnor said. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...Yana-Sydnor-Natomas-California/3901618944909/

I preferred this part:
I was like, 'Hey, someone is in my house,' and they were like, 'Call the police.' I was like, 'Oh yeah, yeah, call the police.'"
Such eloquence.

"lol xxx about 2 b raped and murdered hehe pls retweet 4 likes lol"

maximus otter

Back