• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

IT teacher who threatened pupils and took some to a strip club while he was drunk during a school trip banned from teaching for three years.

Richard Glenn's behaviour was so "unacceptable" he was sent home early during private boarding school Longridge Towers' trip to Costa Rica in July 2019, the Teaching Regulation Agency heard.

A misconduct panel heard Mr Glenn, who taught computer science and had been head of sixth form since 2007, was one of the leaders of the group of 16 to 18-year-olds that went to Costa Rica on 5 July 2019.

His actions included:
  • Drinking with pupils
  • Allowing one or more pupils to drink alcohol despite being under the legal age of 18
  • Threatening to "kick the head in" of one pupil and "kill" another
  • Telling one pupil: "I'm not in trouble - you'll be in trouble"
  • After being aggressive to one pupil, he kissed the boy's forehead and told him "you're all right"
  • Taking one or more pupils to a strip club
  • Acting aggressively towards the woman leading the trip when she tried to help him back to his tent
  • Exposing himself to the woman in a shared hotel room, although it was agreed this was not "malicious or sexually motivated"
He added he could not remember what happened "due to his state of intoxication" but he "did not dispute the recollection of those present", the report said.

IT teacher who threatened pupils and took some to a strip club while he was drunk during a school trip banned from teaching for three years.

Richard Glenn's behaviour was so "unacceptable" he was sent home early during private boarding school Longridge Towers' trip to Costa Rica in July 2019, the Teaching Regulation Agency heard.

A misconduct panel heard Mr Glenn, who taught computer science and had been head of sixth form since 2007, was one of the leaders of the group of 16 to 18-year-olds that went to Costa Rica on 5 July 2019.
Wow i wish i went to a school that had school trips to Costa Rica!

I would have thought a life time ban for teaching unless I'm just a party pooper!!

The National Trust accidentally ploughed up a decades old grassland in a rewilding excersize.

National Trust destroys decades-old Bassenthwaite grassland

The National Trust accidentally destroyed an important natural habitat in an attempt to rewild a field.

The conservation charity has apologised for ploughing the grassland near Bassenthwaite in the Lake District, which contained decades-old fungi.

It disturbed waxcap mushrooms, which conservationists said indicate the land had been untouched for years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-56844360

My own favourite "Oops!" moment occurred some years ago, when I attempted to fry steaks and onions in washing up liquid. Well, really; cooking oil and washing up liquid, both pale amber slightly viscous liquids in similar shaped plastic bottles on the same shelf in the kitchen . . . . I guess it was the floral scent that finally clued me in. I washed the steaks off and we ate them, and no-one complained about the taste, but the onions didn't survive. Still, a lesson well learned; always read the label . . . .

A friend taught at a school and their overseas trip one year was to Antarctica

We went to Calais. For about 8 hours.

My own favourite "Oops!" moment occurred some years ago, when I attempted to fry steaks and onions in washing up liquid.

Sometimes this forum makes me question my sole existence, it really does...

He may find it hard to find employment as a teacher once his ban ends, schools tend to frown on that sort of behaviour in teachers.

I would guess that there were some kind of mitigating circumstances, if he'd been Head of Sixth Form since 2007 and this event occurred in 2019 with no intervening problems. Even teachers can go a bit 'off the rails' after family bereavements, marital breakdowns etc.

Not at all trying to explain away his actions, just interjecting a reason why it was a three year ban from teaching rather than a lifetime one.

A prototype 25 tonne deep sea mining machine has been stranded at the bottom of the sea after becoming detatched from the ship above it.

A prototype deep sea mining machine is lying stranded on the floor of the Pacific Ocean.

The 25-tonne un-crewed device became detached from the cable linking it to a ship at the surface.

The accident happened halfway through a month-long programme of trials and research.

It comes amid heightened controversy over plans to mine the minerals contained in the seabed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-56921773

Florida personnel painting school zone signage might need some schooling themselves.

Scohol-Signage-FL.jpg
OOPS: Misspelled word painted in Orange County school zone

Photos of a fresh paint job in an Orange County school zone show what was supposed to be the word “SCHOOL” incorrectly spelled “SCOHOL.” ...
The botched paint job was spotted Wednesday ...
A county spokeswoman said it was “an honest mistake” that was corrected Wednesday night.
SOURCE: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...ed-word-painted-in-orange-county-school-zone/

Why do these highway misprints keep happening? They're not difficult words to spell, do the roadworkers just zone out while they're performing a tedious task or something, and stop paying attention?

I've walked around a shopping centre in York with my skirt accidentally tucked into my knickers!!

I've delivered a lecture on Boyce-Codd Normal Form in a similar state.

My first inkling was that the 16 year old boys seemed unusually attentive and the second was that they applauded at the end!

I've delivered a lecture on Boyce-Codd Normal Form in a similar state.

My first inkling was that the 16 year old boys seemed unusually attentive and the second was that they applauded at the end!
Lucky boys!! They must have been extra appreciative of your lecture!! :hahazebs:

I would be pretty surprised if they lost their job! They would just have to lift and replace the errant letters and get the piss taken out of them for the rest of their lives I am sure.

Yeah, if they did it accidentally, but Trev was saying they would deliberately sabotage the road markings for fickle fame.

Back