• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Yeah, if they did it accidentally, but Trev was saying they would deliberately sabotage the road markings for fickle fame.
I don't know how an employer could prove that? I can understand it happening actually. They is something about drawing letters very large that confuses me. I found this out chalking details of events on cycleways. :buck: Then you can't hide the mistake.

I don't know how an employer could prove that? I can understand it happening actually. They is something about drawing letters very large that confuses me. I found this out chalking details of events on cycleways. :buck: Then you can't hide the mistake.

Well, it is very hypothetical because I doubt even the most bored road painter imaginable dreams of social media celebrity by pretending to mess up their job.

Anyway, you have kind of confirmed why it happens in your comment, you just "zone out" as I said! I have enough trouble typing accurately...

I recall reading of some offendors somewhere in the U.K. receiving praise for working hard planting bulbs in flower beds.

When Spring came around the flowers apparently spelled "fuck off."

A prototype deep sea mining machine is lying stranded on the floor of the Pacific Ocean.

Update ...

The deep sea mining robot prototype has been recovered, and its testing program has resumed.
Deep-sea mining tests resume after robot rescued from Pacific Ocean floor

Belgium’s Global Sea Mineral Resources has resumed tests that could lead to the mining of battery minerals from the Pacific Ocean floor after it managed to recover a robot stranded at a depth of thousands of metres.

Global Sea Mineral Resources (GSR) has been testing Patania II, a 25-tonne mining robot prototype, 4 km (13,000 ft) below the surface in its concession in the Clarion Clipperton Zone since April 20.

The machine, named after the world's fastest caterpillar, became detached on Sunday from the 5km cable connecting it to GSR's ship, but a recovery operation reconnected it and brought it back to surface late on Thursday. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.reuters.com/business/en...robot-rescued-pacific-ocean-floor-2021-04-30/

A 4 to 5 foot long alligator was reported to authorities in Iowa, but it turned out to be a plush toy. To be fair, it was a pretty realistic plush toy.
IowaGator.jpg
Animal rescuers in Iowa find reported loose gator was plush toy

Animal services officers in Iowa were called to an apartment complex on a report of an alligator on the loose, but they arrived to find the reported reptile was a life-sized plush toy.

The Animal Rescue League of Iowa said animal services officers were dispatched to the apartment complex in Des Moines on a reported of a 4-to-5-foot loose gator in the parking lot. ...

The alleged alligator actually was a 4-foot-long plush toy. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...ces-officers-stuffed-alligator/7201620230107/

Why do these highway misprints keep happening? They're not difficult words to spell, do the roadworkers just zone out while they're performing a tedious task or something, and stop paying attention?

I think maybe it's the sheer size of the letters. It's not like writing the word on a piece of paper - with these road markings, you'd have to paint one very slow letter at a time, and the fact that you're so close to the road means it's probably hard to get a proper perspective on the whole word.

That, or people are stupid.

I recently bought some CDs on Amazon, some of them actually sold by other companies. I was baffled when I saw that one of them was shipped, but not expected to arrive for about a month. Some days later I saw the smaller print: "Shipped with Royal Mail". The seller is in London - I'm in the USA. Considering how long it takes for my Fortean Times to be delivered, the CD should get here around 2023.

Actually I'm not sure if this is my fault or Amazon's. They didn't make a point of the fact that the seller was overseas.

I would have thought a life time ban for teaching unless I'm just a party pooper!!

The benchmark is Fred Talbot, formerly a big name on local TV as a weatherman and presenter.

His previous career was as a teacher. He was 'let go' after incidents with teenage boys and went into television, but was later imprisoned for sex offences.

I find him interesting because he was popular in my TV area and there are a couple of TV programmes about him that might be on YouTube. One shows his police interview. He went 'no comment' but was flattered into admitting things. Prat.

retorns deparment.jpg
I'm still not sure if this is a mistake or deliberate, or even who is responsible.
I do know phones get shipped from this place.

This footage shows what happens when you build an urban road with a forty-five degree incline.

(The best examples are at the end)

Can you imagine what it's like in the wet?

That's a pretty steep road, but it's nowhere near 45 degrees, I would say. 30 at a push.

Still extremely steep for vehicles, though, and I wouldn't want to be driving one of those top-heavy pickups around a corner there!

I have to say that the surface looks less than ideal, too. Is it "ribbed" so that pedestrians can climb more easily? I'm not sure, but it effectively halves the usable surface (and hence grip) for cars.

Why do these highway misprints keep happening? They're not difficult words to spell, do the roadworkers just zone out while they're performing a tedious task or something, and stop paying attention?
Surely they must use some kind of template for the letters - that they lay out on the road and then spray the paint over? They're not doing this freehand! So the mistake must be made twice - once when they lay the letters out and once when they actually paint over them.

I now find myself remarkably interested in HOW signs are painted on roads...

The lettering and lining is most usually NOT sprayed onto the surface (the only times it is usually sprayed is if it is being done 'on the cheap' and only for a limited lifespan, or for temporary markings).
Mostly these are done with a 'paint' which is a coloured bituminous or plasticised material which is heated up in a big vessel then dispensed into an applicator in a metered quantity.
(You might have see these on the back of a 'roadworks' flatbed vehicle, with a burner underneath them and an opening slot on the side showing signs of, er, 'drippage'... )
The 'paint' then has to be worked within a few seconds as it hardens rapidly and when it hits the surface of the cold tarmac almost instantaneously.

If you inspect the lettering, or indeed the 'yellow lines' at the side of the road, you will see it has the appearance of being layered on, much like icing having been smoothed off, and is a few millimetres thick.

This short film shows the expertise of the people applying the stuff.

The lettering and lining is most usually NOT sprayed onto the surface (the only times it is usually sprayed is if it is being done 'on the cheap' and only for a limited lifespan, or for temporary markings).
Mostly these are done with a 'paint' which is a coloured bituminous or plasticised material which is heated up in a big vessel then dispensed into an applicator in a metered quantity.
(You might have see these on the back of a 'roadworks' flatbed vehicle, with a burner underneath them and an opening slot on the side showing signs of, er, 'drippage'... )
The 'paint' then has to be worked within a few seconds as it hardens rapidly and when it hits the surface of the cold tarmac almost instantaneously.

If you inspect the lettering, or indeed the 'yellow lines' at the side of the road, you will see it has the appearance of being layered on, much like icing having been smoothed off, and is a few millimetres thick
But is there a template? How do they get the letters so uniform? You don't get some signs that are bigger than others, or where one letter gets squashed - how do they make sure that the letters are all the same sizes with the same spacings?

There are templates for some things (probably for everything) but as shown above, there is a lot of skill involved and it is probably best done through experience, leading to a uniform finish. Some 'marking out' is also apparent and the use of some metal staves to give a straight edge.
After all, you don't have a template for your handwriting do you.

But is there a template? How do they get the letters so uniform? You don't get some signs that are bigger than others, or where one letter gets squashed - how do they make sure that the letters are all the same sizes with the same spacings?
I think the are chalked out first with a stencil

There are templates for some things (probably for everything) but as shown above, there is a lot of skill involved and it is probably best done through experience, leading to a uniform finish. Some 'marking out' is also apparent and the use of some metal staves to give a straight edge.
After all, you don't have a template for your handwriting do you.
No, but in my handwriting the size of letters various enormously, the gaps between words and letters is very variable and sometimes I form letters one way and sometimes another. I don't think you can compare handwriting with road writing - where every single word is absolutely uniform, even between sites.

Having watched the film I think I can see how misspelling would happen. They will be working practically on top of existing letters, working quickly and if they take their eye off the ball and forget which letters they've already done.... Although how they didn't misspell it SOCHOOL I can't work out.

I have to say that the surface looks less than ideal, too. Is it "ribbed" so that pedestrians can climb more easily?
It might be ribbed for someone's pleasure, for all the good it does!

Last edited:
Universal has apologised to Trans actor Laverne Cox, after her part was dubbed by a male actor in some non-English releases of her new film.

"Universal Pictures has apologised for dubbing actress Laverne Cox's character with the voice of a man in some non-English versions of the Oscar-winning film Promising Young Woman.

Cox, one of Hollywood's most high-profile transgender actresses, plays coffee shop owner Gail.

But in Italy, her voice was replaced by that of actor Roberto Pedicini."

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57099395

$26 million lottery ticket holder loses her ticket in the wash.

"A woman who claims to have purchased the winning ticket in a $26m (£18.5m) California Lottery draw says she left it in a trouser pocket and destroyed it in the wash, US media report.

The winning SuperLotto Plus ticket was sold at a convenience store in the Los Angeles suburb of Norwalk in November.

The woman, who has not been named, was reportedly captured by CCTV purchasing a ticket at the store at the time."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57114728

Back