• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

She should be pleased he’s looking out for her health - daffodils are poisonous
Yup, shops and supermarkets are advised by Public Health England to keep daffodil bulbs well away from food for that reason.

One-word gaffe invalidates thousands of US baptisms

Church officials say that the priest, Andres Arango, used the word "we" instead of "I" during baptisms.

Catholics believe that only Jesus Christ has the power to baptise - not the wider community or the Church.

Mr Arango has resigned from his position and apologised.

According to the Catholic Diocese of Phoenix, Reverend Arango was reciting the words used for baptisms incorrectly until 17 June 2021. The Church has declared all baptisms he conducted up until that date invalid.

Church records show that Mr Arango arrived in the Phoenix area as a pastor in February 2013. Previously, he was the director of a Catholic campus ministry in California. Between 1995 and 2000, he was a teacher and pastor in Brazil.

It is unclear how many baptisms are now considered invalid, although local media has put the figure in the thousands. Church officials are asking that people who were baptised by Mr Arango or had their children baptised come forward.

Etc.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-c...n4WkOH8QA3pDOIN9u0LGrNxDpTqL6RgU5XtNnqZYiGRBI

I'm a practicing Catholic but I find this a weird application of rules. I understand the theology, but couldn't this be handled in a more pragmatic manner? Like with a dispensation?

Last edited:
There's no point in a dispensation if you then get turned away at the pearly gates.

I think he would just put you in Purgatory aka the eternal waiting room, where all the magazines are fishing magazines,

I couldn't leave it alone, and now I know that the incorrectly baptised persons do not go straight to Hell :)

“Even if we want to make sure that everything is done as the rite needs to be done, what needs to be emphasized just as loudly is the notion that God isn’t constrained by the errors that a priest might make,” said Gregory Hillis, professor of theology at Bellarmine University, a Catholic school in Louisville, Kentucky.

"Nobody’s assuming God’s going to say, ‘Well, I’m sorry, you got the first person plural rather than the first person singular,’” Hillis said.

Added Monsignor Stephen Doktorczyk, vicar general for the Diocese of Orange, California: “There’s a saying that God works through the sacraments, but he is not limited to the sacraments.”

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news...thousands-of-baptisms-deemed-invalid/2721147/

And it can work recursively too !!!

If a person's baptism is deemed invalid, then subsequent rites such as confirmation and, in the case of priests, ordination are also not valid as sacraments.

A priest in the Archdiocese of Detroit discovered in 2020 that the deacon who baptized him as an infant used “We” rather than “I.” He had to receive a valid baptism — and confirmation and ordination, since those hinged on a valid baptism. And the archdiocese also worked to arrange sacramentally valid baptisms for those whose rites he had presided at without knowing he wasn’t validly ordained.

I couldn't leave it alone, and now I know that the incorrectly baptised persons do not go straight to Hell :)

“Even if we want to make sure that everything is done as the rite needs to be done, what needs to be emphasized just as loudly is the notion that God isn’t constrained by the errors that a priest might make,” said Gregory Hillis, professor of theology at Bellarmine University, a Catholic school in Louisville, Kentucky.

"Nobody’s assuming God’s going to say, ‘Well, I’m sorry, you got the first person plural rather than the first person singular,’” Hillis said.

Added Monsignor Stephen Doktorczyk, vicar general for the Diocese of Orange, California: “There’s a saying that God works through the sacraments, but he is not limited to the sacraments.”

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news...thousands-of-baptisms-deemed-invalid/2721147/

If a person's baptism is deemed invalid, then subsequent rites such as confirmation and, in the case of priests, ordination are also not valid as sacraments.

A priest in the Archdiocese of Detroit discovered in 2020 that the deacon who baptized him as an infant used “We” rather than “I.” He had to receive a valid baptism — and confirmation and ordination, since those hinged on a valid baptism. And the archdiocese also worked to arrange sacramentally valid baptisms for those whose rites he had presided at without knowing he wasn’t validly ordained.
Can't they do a general e-baptism over the 'net? Like, bless everyone and then people who don't believe it can ignore it. Like Nigerian 'inheritance' spam.

No they won’t because hell does not exist

Can't they do a general e-baptism over the 'net? Like, bless everyone and then people who don't believe it can ignore it. Like Nigerian 'inheritance' spam.
Why would God and the church even need the net? If they’re that good at prayers, just do the spell generally to reassure everyone it’s been done properly.

Why would God and the church even need the net? If they’re that good at prayers, just do the spell generally to reassure everyone it’s been done properly.
There's no money or potential for control in that.

I don't know much about boating, but I don't think you're supposed to have both sets of lock gates open at the same time.

Shropshire Union Canal 2018: 70 metre stretch was gorged out to a depth of 12 metres, damage at £3 million.
"Trees were torn from their roots, hundreds of fish died and boats were lifted from their moorings by the mini tsunami."
I'm sure this isn't the only incident I've read of this happening.

Lock gates.jpg

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/06/cana...age-after-forgetting-to-close-a-lock-7921226/

I don't know much about boating, but I don't think you're supposed to have both sets of lock gates open at the same time.

Shropshire Union Canal 2018: 70 metre stretch was gorged out to a depth of 12 metres, damage at £3 million.
"Trees were torn from their roots, hundreds of fish died and boats were lifted from their moorings by the mini tsunami."

View attachment 52424

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/06/cana...age-after-forgetting-to-close-a-lock-7921226/
I went to see that mess. Heartbreaking. However, the flooding missed a main local road which was a good thing.

This Australian woman won a substantial lottery prize, but refused to answer her phone thinking the attempted contacts from lottery officials were scam calls.
Oblivious winner dodged lottery's phone calls for days

An Australian woman found out she had won a lottery jackpot of more than $70,000 after multiple days of dodging phone calls that she assumed were scammers.

The Frenchs Forest, New South Wales, woman told The Lott officials she bought a ticket for the Feb. 25 Lucky Lotteries drawing at thelott.com, but forgot to check her account after the drawing. ...

Lottery officials tried contacting the winner by phone, but the woman ignored the calls for several days, assuming they were scam-related. ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...-oblivious-winner-dodged-calls/7031646169468/

A New Jersey man reported what appeared to be an escaped parrot perched in a tree. He and the dispatched animal control officer carefully sneaked up on the perched bird, only to discover it was actually a ceramic figurine.
New Jersey animal control officer called to capture fake parrot

... The Princeton Police Department said local resident Tim Lynch contacted his nephew, a sergeant in the department, when he spotted what appeared to be someone's escaped pet parrot perched on a tree in a wooded area. ...

Animal Control Officer Jim Ferry was dispatched to the scene and Lynch took him to where he had spotted the exotic bird.

"The two of us were walking back there not wanting to scare away it so it flies away, and as we get closer I'm thinking 'oh my gosh, this poor thing is dead,'" Lynch told WPVI-TV. "We're about two feet away, he's about to throw the net over it, and he goes 'it's fake.'"

The police department said in a Facebook post that the supposed bird was a "decorative ceramic parrot."

"We have a saying in Animal Control that a sick or injured animal is very easy to catch, and this was probably the easiest catch I've ever had," Ferry said. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...al-control-officer-fake-parrot/2871647019522/

View attachment 52424

We popped along to look, took photos -

Middlewich canal breach 1.jpegMiddlewich canal breach 2.jpeg

Back