• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Opium-Addicted" Parrots Affecting Poppy Cultivation In Madhya Pradesh

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
NEEMUCH: While scattered rainfall has been affecting poppy cultivation in Madhya Pradesh, the parrots have added to the farmers' woes. The farmers claim they are incurring massive losses due to a group of "opium-addicted" parrots.

Farmers of Neemuch district say that parrot which feed on poppy plants have reduced the final product. Their efforts to reach out to the authorities or use loud speakers have also failed.

Nandkishore, an opium cultivator, has said their multiple requests to the district officials have not been heard.

"One poppy flower gives around 20-25 grams of opium. But a large group of parrots feed on these plants around 30-40 times a day and some even fly away with poppy pods. This affects the produce," he said.

Nandkishore said opium-addicted parrots have turned into a nuisance.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/mad...lying-away-with-poppy-pods-in-neemuch-1999471

maximus otter

NEEMUCH: While scattered rainfall has been affecting poppy cultivation in Madhya Pradesh, the parrots have added to the farmers' woes. The farmers claim they are incurring massive losses due to a group of "opium-addicted" parrots.

Farmers of Neemuch district say that parrot which feed on poppy plants have reduced the final product. Their efforts to reach out to the authorities or use loud speakers have also failed.

Nandkishore, an opium cultivator, has said their multiple requests to the district officials have not been heard.

"One poppy flower gives around 20-25 grams of opium. But a large group of parrots feed on these plants around 30-40 times a day and some even fly away with poppy pods. This affects the produce," he said.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/mad...lying-away-with-poppy-pods-in-neemuch-1999471

maximus otter
POLLY WANTS A FIX! NOW!

maximus otter

A good find!

Cute birds. I would be surprised if the opium actually affected them, despite the headline. I suspect they just enjoy the seeds.
Could you expand on this? I don't know what birds can or can't get high off but I'd be interested to know.

Could you expand on this? I don't know what birds can or can't get high off but I'd be interested to know.
I don't really have any proof of this, only that birds can eat all sorts of things without being affected the way we are (for example chilis). I also feel sure that the birds would just die if opium had the same affect on them as us. They are only little and need to eat a lot of seeds to keep their metabolisms going. It kills us if we overdose so surely would kill them faster. A search around the internet only finds this story repeated but I don't see any evidence of any behaviour beyond normal feeding activity. I am happy to be proven wrong if anyone knows better!

Birds do have opioid receptors, but not the same array as humans. It's also unclear whether, or for how long, opioids are effective in a bird's system.

I found this on what appears to be a veterinary practice website

Opioids are most often used for moderate to severe pain, such as traumatic or surgical pain. Most opioids are rapidly absorbed and eliminated in birds. Most opioids also have poor oral bioavailability in birds, associated with a first-pass effect in the liver, making oral administration generally ineffective.

FULL ARTICLE: http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/updates-avian-analgesia-proceedings

I can attest by the bird feeders in my garden that they eat masses of seeds. Maybe I should try adding poppy seeds and see if they look stoned?

Back