• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Orang Pendek / Orang Dalam / Sedapa [South-East Asia]

I dropped in here last night and was going to comment on the DeLoy's ape stuff, but got sidetracked. Now I come in and Shuggy's posts are gone--what happened? I didn't put him on my ignore list, so I'm baffled.

Interesting theories, guys. I'm not really convinced there is an orang pendek; still, if there is, I think it's close to what all of you are suggesting.

One last pick-up line:
So, who grooms your coat in the wee, small hours?

No, I lied, one more:
Ever do it on a tire swing? Baby, I do it inside tire swings!

Thank you, thank you! I'm here all week. Make sure to tip your waitress.

It seems the "in crowd" on this message board didnt like him so he had to be removed
ashame
i liked his posts

Originally posted by RichardSimmons
It seems the "in crowd" on this message board didnt like him so he had to be removed
ashame
i liked his posts

I think keeping him off the board is futile, but deleting all his posts seems an odd and extreme response. I'll admit I only read his posts in a couple threads that interested me; still, it seemed to me he was contributing in a serious manner to this particular discussion. Yeah, he joked around--and thank God for it, people are too uptight--but he had me considering aspects of the thread I otherwise wouldn't have. Like I said, I don't know what was said elsewhere, but if humor's prohibited, I'm screwed.

I applaud high-minded intentions, but ricky_2002 is back, even more foul-mouthed than ever, and spamming all the threads.

Sometimes appeasement doesn't work. You can't reason with an idiot, even if he has flashes of lucidity.

ok now lets get back to the de Loys ape theory again..

i think the animal is a monkey (not an ape) for the simple reason it looks like a monkey with its long skinny arms legs and long hands and feet that look like they are used for climbing trees etc and its small forehead. BUT i still dont think that the photograph is a fake, the photograph in my opinion is a large spider monkey species that is unknown to science. Altho Spider monkeys have a distinctly triangular face. and the creature in the photos face is oval with its lower half much heavier and with more powerful jaws than a spider monkey's.
i searched some of my old books and browsed the internet looking for information and pictures of spider monkeys so i could compair the creature to a real spider monkey.. i however never found any that looked as large as the one in the de loy photograph, the average length of a spider monkey is 24 inches, i think youll agree with me that the deloys ape looks much larger than that! .. there is just something about that photo that just makes it look bigger than a small monkey .. the only picture i could find of a spider monkey on the internet that looks similar is here.. his name is Bonzo. lol

bonzo.jpg

i also did some more reading up on deloys ape and possible new sightings of it and it appears that the the "Mono Grand" as it is know to the locals has been reported throughout the jungles of South America. Natives speak of a 5-foot-tall bipedal ape-like creature that is often said to be dangerous. Credible witnesses reported encounters with these creatures as well the most recent report from Gary Samuels in 1987. As a mycologist working for the New York Botanical Garden he was gathering specimines of fungi in Guyana. After hearing footsteps Samuels looked up to see a 5-foot-tall bipedal ape nearby.

So it seems to me that De Loy wasnt lying after all. his theorys however concerning the evolution of the native americans from this creature are complete shit and racially motivated..
hopefully it wont be long before we find out the answer to this puzzle

ok so i made a quick picture to compare creatures so here it is

monkeys.htm

Far right: De Loys Ape
Middle: Columbian Black Spider Monkey (Full sized male)
Top Left: Close up of spider monkey face
Bottom Left: Spider monkey stuffed toy (Gap filler)

after making this picture the body of deloys ape and the spider monkey apear to be somewhat similar and to scale.. but still im certain de loys is a large spider monkey after all a large elephant and small elephant are to scale.. arent they??.. the faces are completely different tho and i have searched thru alot of pictures of almost every spider monkey species to try and come up with a similar face but nope .. not even one slightly similar

anyways let me know what you guys think

Looks good. One thing that might've effected the face is the fact that DeLoys ape was dead. Seriously.

TorgosPizza said:
Looks good. One thing that might've effected the face is the fact that DeLoys ape was dead. Seriously.

explain??? i know that dead peoples faces look slightly different but the differences in the deloys ape and normal spider monkey are completely different.. i mean just look att he lower jaw.. maybe the eyes could be explained by it being dead but i seriously doubt the jaw would change much.. but who knows maybe they put a halloween mask on it :D

Sorry about being so vague--I was dead tired when I wrote that, plus I was in an incredible rush, so I can see how it needed explaining.

I guess I'm just saying that being dead, DeLoys ape has it's facial muscles slackened (f.ex.), and this might well effect the look of the animal much as it would a human. I think the main difference is coloration, because as was stated previously, the body looks identically shaped. But don't think I'm being critical--far from it--I think the picture with the comparisons is quite good. Furthermore, it's useful. Well done; although, seeing them together makes me consider the spider monkey much more than I had previously. At any rate, I'm not a monster hunter or anything, so my opinion's of little value.

yeah i agree with the face muscle thing.. my opinion on the whole matter is that there is a species of large spider monkey that can walk on 2 legs (maybe just for a short while) that still has yet to be discovered by western science.. it is known to natives and has been seen by some reputable witnesses and also has been named the "Mono Grand" .. i dont think it is anything like the orang pendek or big foot.. i believe they are space mutants from mars :p

i on the other hand am a monster hunter! i eat those bastards for dinner!!!

There was a documentary on TV a couple of days* ago that suggested that bipedalism actually began thousands of years before our ancestors came down from from the trees.

There was evidence from palaeontology as well as studies on modern gibbons.

(*It was actually C4, Monday, 'Secrets of the dead')

rynner said:
There was a documentary on TV a couple of days* ago that suggested that bipedalism actually began thousands of years before our ancestors came down from from the trees.

what do you mean? that our ancestors walked on two legs in the trees or other animals where bipedal? i know dinosaurs where bipedal but im sure there must of been alot more creatures that evolved to walk on two legs then died out
i think the possibility of a gibbon/spider monkey type creature that can walk on 2 legs is strong.. after all ive seen gibbons walk on two legs.. it was for a short period of time but with a couple of thousand years of practise im sure they will of mastered it :)

Well, there is a group of monkeys that have started to walk on two legs. I can't remember which kind. It was when one of the females discovered she could then carry potatoes in her hands while walking. Soon the others started doing it.

Xanatic said:
Well, there is a group of monkeys that have started to walk on two legs. I can't remember which kind. It was when one of the females discovered she could then carry potatoes in her hands while walking. Soon the others started doing it.

hmmmn potatoes? thats strange how people claim to know exactly what these creatures used to carry.. my guess would be something more like apples or oranges.. potatoes taste like ass compared to them

i wonder if these monkeys could make chips

No wait, I'm getting confused now.
The monkeys are doing this now in a Zoo/Nature Reserve or out in the Wild

Or

Somebody (who likes potatoes) thinks this is how our ancestors started walking.

:confused:

I saw a film on the BBC once of a chimp someone had taught to walk upright all the time - it was actually a bit creepy. Can't remember the name of the programme though - if anyone can please let me know

Ioethe

Aaaaaaah, you mean Oliver I think.

Oliver was a mystery for a long time. He was an chimp-like ape discovered in (I believe) a circus, who had a strangely deformed head, and could walk upright. It was for ages thought he could be a chimp/bonobo hybrid, a chimp/gorilla hybrid, a chimp/human hybrid or even a chimp/wildman hybrid.

DNA tests finally closed the mystery, and showed he was merely a strangely deformed chimp, rather disappointingly.

When was this? The film looked kind of old...

No, it wasn't the washing. I have to admit I'm not too sure it was potatoes. It would seem strange, they taste awful. Unless you make chips(both kinds) out of them.

Oliver was a very interesting little monkey.

the people that owned oliver had to get rid of him because he always tried to hump human girls

lol.. if people on this board cant gett he leg over what makes that chimp so special...

i saw a gibbon walk for a while on 2 legs..

as for making chips.. i dontt hink monkeys would of because ketchup wasnt invented till 200bc

The taste of potatoes compared to those of apples etc. Maybe they actually like potatoes. Just because humans don't like raw potatoes it doesn't mean that chimps, makaks don't like em. Human tastebuds are not identical to those of chimps or other larger animals.

RichardSimmons said:
what do you mean? that our ancestors walked on two legs in the trees or other animals where bipedal?
The program suggested that an upright stance was very useful in the trees, so that when these apes came down onto the ground they were already 'pre-adapted' for walking.

On the potato thing, I think apes would love any sort of fruit or vegetable that contains that much natural water. And raw potatoes rock--you just have to salt them down heavily! :) I bet they'd love turnips, as well...again, they have to be raw!

And you all are right: Oliver was the coolest! IIRC, Oliver was not only trying to mate with his owner's wife, but smoked and drank beer. Apparently (and I've heard this is true), he considered himself to be a human; sounds like a lot of blokes I know, anyway. Hell, I wish I had the pleasure of meeting the little rascal.

do monkeys eat potatoes in the wild? after all they would have to dig them up.. i dont see many monkeys haning around the jungle with spades .. but then again u never know.

i think eating apples or fruit that grows on the tree would be easier but then again if u dug a big hole in the ground and threw a pizza in there and i had to dig for 30 mins id do it.. cos i fuckin love pizza yum

tho thedre would be dirt on it but im not fussy ;)

I think the diet in the wild depends on what sort of apes we're discussing and their location. I doubt if any apes come across potatoes in the wild, because they're unique to the US and European nations, unless I'm mistaken. Also, I'm not so sure if the stereotypical banana is often a staple of their diet. From what I gather, they eat a lot of shoots, leaves, fruit (can't list any specific types, unfortunately) and insects. Occassionally, chimps hunt for meat and have been known to engage in cannibalism. So, if Curious George ever went after the Man in the Yellow Hat, we'd have to put him down. In fact, I'd volunteer, due to the poorly illustrated nature of his exploits.

"You're a disgrace to children's literature!" Bam! Of course, in court I would claim I was possessed by Harry Potter and couldn't be held accountable for my actions. "He made me do it! He talks to the Devil...and cats, which is weird!"

so TorgosPizza have i managed to convince you that orang pendeks exist? or have i filled your head up with shite about canibal chimpanzees eating potatoes and chips?? lol :p

RS, to be honest, I still don't know what to think. I wouldn't be at all surprised if something is found; however, I'm not expecting it. I love the idea of cryptids, but I'm a bit on the skeptical side. I wish I were affluent enough to get some of us together and go find one ourselves, but that's not the case. It'd be fun though, wouldn't it?

Back