• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Orang Pendek / Orang Dalam / Sedapa [South-East Asia]

It would be an excuse for me to get my safari gear on (like I ever need an excuse)
Seriously, I would love to go on an expedition, I want to go into that mountain in Australia, with a long rope and a big gun...

u wont find an orang pendek in australia unless it was visiting its cousin the yowie hehe
and torgospizza... im sure that would be excellent.. altho it would end up like survivor and little clans would start emerging and im afraid me and you would probably be left behind :p

i would be up for the expidition.. who wants to come with me?

I would love to do something like that, but responsibilities keep me here, unfortunately. Wouldn't it be great to hit the jungles looking for this animal? Even a failed expedition would be memorable, just to say we tried it. Maybe someday if I'm richer....

TorgosPizza said:
I would love to do something like that, but responsibilities keep me here, unfortunately. Wouldn't it be great to hit the jungles looking for this animal? Even a failed expedition would be memorable, just to say we tried it. Maybe someday if I'm richer....

Ill give you a call some day if i win the lottery. I would be interested in firstly planning an expedition to try and gather some evidence to support bigfoot and then i would fly us out to find the pendek. Altho i think the locals are supposidly not very friendly so i think we would need to bring some heavy weaponry. The weapons would also come in handy for bagging us a big orange ape trophy

RichardSimmons said:
u wont find an orang pendek in australia unless it was visiting its cousin the yowie hehe
No, not for that! That black mountain, I forget it's name, where that big serpent thing is meant to live...it was in FT 151 or possibly 150, I forget which. Dang, my memory is quite awful, isn't it?
Tang-Malow, if weaponry is involved I have got to come...:D

Originally posted by Inverurie Jones

Tang-Malow, if weaponry is involved I have got to come...:D

I was just telling tang-malow the other day I have the weapons all sorted: my brother has some 7mm Turkish Mausers left over from WW2 that would only leave some fingernails and a tuft of fur if you ever drew down on a Yeti. It's a lot like shooting a hand-held howitzer: you can expect a slight kick. :) Actually, expect your shoulder to become dislocated.

Let's all go kill rare, exotic beasts!

Lee-Enfield all the way for me! So long as it isn't an SA-80 I'm happy...

why dont we just land mine the whole forrest? were bound to get one then

Loads of theories and loads of humour but has anyone on this thread ever done anything more than hypothesise or read lots of material? Anyone ever actually put anything together to go to one of these outlandish places and pick up the stories for themselves first hand so they can differentiate between what is fact and rumour?? Just curious...:)

You think I can afford an expedition to the Congo, Australia or Gobi desert or whatnot on £120 a week?! I wish! I'd be off like a shot if I could afford it!

Sorry to dig up a long dead thread but does anyone know if experiments have been done to try and cross bred apes and humans? I doubt it has been done due to moral issues but ive came up with a idea for the Orang-pendek
Beastiality has existed in man kind for thousands of years.. ive even seen ancient greek pottery depicting people having sex with goats and pigs.. so why if people are willing to have sex with pigs goats sheep wouldnt they have sex with more human looking creatures such as gorillas chips and ORANGUTANGS??? and if say villagers did have sex with orangutangs and these creatures spawned babys that where then shunned from the village and the Orangutangs wouldnt these creatures go off into the jungle and start theyre own society? just a thought but this could be a valid explanation for atleast the Pendek which are said to look more human than ape and also have a language of theyre own which tells us they are obviously intelligent, possible evidence of human ancestory???? food for thought

I think we would have more stories of humans and ape births if it was possible. Because I also doubt it can't have been done a lot of times considering what sailors and such can come up with.

I remember a front page of American Scientists I think it was where the headline was regarding why there used to be 15 humanoids at one point. Why are we the only one left. I think it will not be too long before we run into some serious ethical problems, when we find out we are not the only Homo running around on earth.

Originally posted by Xanatic
I remember a front page of American Scientists I think it was where the headline was regarding why there used to be 15 humanoids at one point. Why are we the only one left. I think it will not be too long before we run into some serious ethical problems, when we find out we are not the only Homo running around on earth.

Do you remember the issue number or who the author was, by chance? Unfortunately, I was out of town when you posted your jmessage and missed the end of the thread. This sounds interesting. Thanks for any info!

Hmm, I'd say probably around april 2000. But just take a look at the frontpages, it is the one with a picture of two cavemen looking at each other.

Was it you who said that humans defied the laws of evolution, by only having one line of ancestry? Just take a look at any book about prehistoric man. We have loads of ancestors.

Originally posted by Xanatic
Hmm, I'd say probably around april 2000. But just take a look at the frontpages, it is the one with a picture of two cavemen looking at each other.

Thanks for the info, Xanatic. I'm on it's trail--sounds interesting!

Was it you who said that humans defied the laws of evolution, by only having one line of ancestry? Just take a look at any book about prehistoric man. We have loads of ancestors.

I might've said that, because I talk a lot of bull for entertainment purposes; however, I doubt I did, because I really don't have a problem with that theory. At the same time, the jury's out, because I have no real first-hand knowledge. In all honesty, I'm not sure Neanderthals were a seperate species; some of their skeletons have signs of rickets, which goes hand in hand with cave-dwelling, due to the lack of sunlight and (possibly) poor diet.

I'm positive in only one thing: I have no idea.

I once chased bigfoot in the woods!
No really I did!

It was moving slowly-probably gathering food and I was getting firewood when I heard it.
It was a large biped moving slowly.(no it wsn't another person!)

It grunted a little and stepped slowly.
I kinda followed it through the woods for a while.
Then it started to rain and I left.

There were big barefoot footprints and hair on the twigs.

You guys probably don't believe me.
No one else did either.

When, where? Details please. Name, rank and number, etc, and the telephone number of the bigfoot if you have it.

Orang Pendek aka Sedapa - Wild (wo)man?

Apologies if there are threads already about Orang pendek (its a well known cryptid) but I ust thought, in the light of the "Wild man" threads, I could give some tentative theories.

I first heard of OP in Bernard Heuvelmans`s "On The Track of Unknown Animals" in which he also gave it the names "Orang Gugu" and "Sedapa". These reports were mostly from the 20s and 30s. I also read a lot about OP in the BBC Wildlife as well as Fortean Times magazines in the mid-1990s - they seemed to be on the verge of capturing one and I think had got both hairs and footprint casts in about 1997, but since then I have not really heard about it.

However, the OP Heuvelmans describes, aka "Sedapa", seems very different to the 90s OP - the 30s sightings were 5-6ft tall and black, the 90s creature ginger/orange and 3-4ft tall. Some of the older sightings also seem more humanlike - which led me to think, could some sightings be "feral humans" - that is, children abandoned at a very young age and growing up in the wild a la Mowgli or Caspar Hauser? This report, which is quoted by Heuvelmans (also on the website http://www.herper.com) sounds to me a lot like the Indian "wolf girl" cases of feral children - I think someone on the "Wild Man" thread said feral children could grow unusual amounts of body hair?

The sedapa was also hairy on the front of its body; the colour there was a little lighter than on the back. The very dark hair on its head fell to just below the shoulder blades or even almost to the waist. It was fairly thick and very shaggy. The lower part of its face seemed to end in more of a point than a man's; this brown face was almost hairless, whilst its forehead seemed to be high rather than low. Its eyebrows were the same colour as its hair and were very bushy. The eyes were frankly moving; they were of the darkest colour, very lively, and like human eyes. The nose was broad with fairly large nostrils ... Its lips were quite ordinary, but the width of its mouth was strikingly wide when open ... The colour of the teeth was yellowish white. Its chin was somewhat receding ... Its hands were slightly hairy on the back ... This specimen was of the female sex ... When I raised my gun ... I heard a plaintive 'hu-hu,' which was at once answered by similar echoes in the forest nearby.

Any opinions? (Or Orang Pendek news generally - any more recent sightings? 1997 footprint casts followed up?)

Re: Orang Pendek aka Sedapa - Wild (wo)man?

Goldstein said:
Any opinions? (Or Orang Pendek news generally - any more recent sightings? 1997 footprint casts followed up?)

Well i know there were recent OP footprints taken this year by a bunch of british explorers, nothing more has happend since or so i think.

My opinion about the whole OP senario is this, i think there are more than one kind of large unknown ape in Sumatra ,(natives say there are 3 kinds if i can remember) you have the orangutang which we all know about and at least 2 others. one is reported to look like a giant gibbon which is more ape like that human but can for short periods walk on two legs. This gibbon type creature has been sighted a few times and i have read reports about how it swings in trees and even swam away to aviod capture, its supposidly about 6 foot tall standing up, could this be a relation to Deloys Ape? (Mono Grande).
The other unknown ape is the OP, i dont think this is a feral human as the natives of sumatra have known about it for decades, and if it was a feral human the natives would know that. People dont give enough credit to the actual people who live in the area dismissing their opinions as mere garbage, there is a lot that can be learned from these guys. Also marco polo wrote about the OPs saying they were a strange race of ape like men, they could possibly be a more evolved species of Orangutang or possibly be a human Orang hybrid.. who knows, anything is possible. One thing i am sure of is this, if the eye witness storys are to be believed then the OP is not a feral human as the people i have heard talk about their sightings are quite clear of the fact that it is not a human.

see this thread for more on the subject

http://forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1010

Re: Re: Orang Pendek aka Sedapa - Wild (wo)man?

Originally posted by tang-malow

Well i know there were recent OP footprints taken this year by a bunch of british explorers, nothing more has happend since or so i think.

I had the pleasure of chairing the talk by these guys at this years Fortean Times Unconvention and they gave a very good talk and announced that the footprint and hairs had been analysed and the analysis was not quite finished but it looks like it is a new species - closely related to the Orangutan but sufficiently different to be exciting

Gordon

Re: Re: Re: Orang Pendek aka Sedapa - Wild (wo)man?

gordonrutter said:

I had the pleasure of chairing the talk by these guys at this years Fortean Times Unconvention and they gave a very good talk and announced that the footprint and hairs had been analysed and the analysis was not quite finished but it looks like it is a new species - closely related to the Orangutan but sufficiently different to be exciting

Gordon

Thanks for that gordon, i always wondered what the outcome to that investigation was. I dont mean to gloat here but it sounds like my theory of them being a species related to the Orangutang. :)

Can someone send a new link to these pics? The geocities link is bad, very bad!

i dont think those pictures where really orang-pendeks, they turned out to be just monkeys or something.

Not worth getting worried about

Orang Pendek

Im interested to see what you people think about this.
Go to this site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/weird/big6/orang_pendek/1.shtml

Read the evidence here and decide for yourself whether such an extraordinary creature could really have been lost for so long, then post your conclusions ;)

Is it so hard to believe that a yet undiscovered species of Ape lives in a vast unexplored jungle?

Pendek

That was a great article and i took the test at the end ...the creature is out there ! lets find it .I had seen this on a science show a couple of years ago -how she discribed seeing it briefly and I believed her then. I've been waiting and looking for updates since..this is the first.

Yes ruffready, There never seems to be and new details about the OP, however the phototraps set up are still running and Im sure as soon as they catch a glimpse we will know about it.
I just hope we get a glimpse of it before its extinct, and by the rate of the deforrestation happening It doesnt seem it will be too long.

re:deforesting

It makes me sick!! that needs attention. Thats real terroism..so much to learn..and having to rush because ass wipes want to mess up the land for profit or what ever ..well anyway Its cool stuff those cams taking pictures of new animals -maybe soon....hope they have the $$$ to keep it going .

Much of it comes from the Illegal timber trade.
Isnt it sick when you discover that companys such as Home Depot dont do anything to ensure that the timber they sell hasnt been obtained illegally. I remember a woman on the TV a while ago presurising American companys to take this into consideration when buying but I dont know if they have changed their ways.

It sucks

I just wish I could be superman for a day(or two) set things right ! The orangs(the ones we know and use in shows ) need help too i saw .Thats such a cool ape, they need to live their lives in peace. Man !

Yess ruffready, the Orang pendeks and the Orangutangs share the same forrest but there are other endangered species that do also. Gorillas chimps and gibbons also live there and you dont have to be superman to make a difference my friend.
Just be sure that next time you by any timber or furniture that you are sure where the wood came from. Make sure that the company you are dealing with doesnt buy illegal timber, and that goes for all of you reading this too. Dont feel stupid for asking, remember every person who does this can make a difference. Theres no point of cutting down trees if noone wants them.

Back