• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Orang Pendek / Orang Dalam / Sedapa [South-East Asia]

A

Anonymous

I'm sure you've all read this by now (http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2-2001373161,00.html); still, what do you think? I can't help but feel it can't be the pendek--if it was, it's feet would be backwards, right? Anything less is probably a subspecies of orangutan. Loren Coleman predicted the pendek's discovery this decade, though, so it must be true! :)

Couldn't you post the whole story? My company won't allow me to see the webpage.

Originally posted by Xanatic
Couldn't you post the whole story? My company won't allow me to see the webpage.

Here you go. Enjoy!

A team of British amateur explorers may have found evidence for the existence of the Sumatran Yeti.
Early analysis shows that samples of hair and footprints taken on the team's trip to the Indonesian jungle do not appear to come from any known primate in the region. Some scientists believe that they may belong to the orang-pendek, or Sumatran Yeti, a creature first mentioned by Marco Polo after he visited the island in 1292.
Clumps of hair are to be sent for DNA analysis in Oxford to determine whether they are those of a new species, which would most likely be a relative of the orang-utan or the gibbon.
The orang-pendek is reputed to resemble the orang-utan. It has orange hair and stands about 5ft tall, but walks with a more upright stance and lives mainly on the ground. It is not supposed to be dangerous to people.
Adam Davies, an Internet project manager from Manchester, led the expedition to the mountain rainforest near Gunung Kerinci, in western Sumatra. "We are getting indications from the scientists that we may be on to something, and I have no doubt myself that this creature exists," he said. "We heard its calls, and we've discovered a trail that can't be explained by anything else."

Orang Pendek Pictures

Whilst searching the net for pictures of this creature i came across this webpage which has the most convincing pictures i have seen yet of the Orang Pendek

Click here

what do you think? real or fake??

Hehe, I somehow doubt it :)

But that top one does seem scary, though I've heard it should be a few inches tall clay figure.

some of the monster pics on that site do look real tho

Orang Pendek my arse

Um... good news, they're not fakes!

Bad news, the top one's a golden lion tamarin and the second one is (I think) a capuchin monkey. Some people, eh?

What does everyone think to the bigfoot pic on the same page? It was in FT ages ago, and I thought it looked like a particularly cack model shot.

OY.

Don't believe a single word the guy said. He's not trying to be serious. The hairy man photo is a hairy man. The water-tossing SASQUATCH/BIGFOOT (NOT YETI) photo was -originally- said to have been taken in Washington. It looks far too good to be true, in my opinion, but the tossed water is a perplexing feature. That stupid Loch Ness photo, if it even is a photo, was supposedly taken in Africa and allegedly depicts mokele-m'bembe, not nessie! Just about all (and I mean ALL) the other photographs his site features can be found in the gallery section of cryptozoology.com, where anyone who wants to can find the real stories behind them.
As for the chupacabra photograph, it IS real. However, ironically, it is not a chupacabra but some Louisiana swamp cryptid.

clarification

When I said "the guy," I was referring to the person, whoever he is, who designed that website, not the author of the post above mine.

Morning!!!!!!!!1

The photo of bigfoot/sasquatch looking at the camera has already been exposed as a fake, hasn't it?

It's supposed to be a clay model about 8 inches tall. Look at it's feet, there are blades of grass.

Hasn't it been on this forum before?

Has anyone noticed that part of the sitename bears the legend
'ricky_2002'?

Well, it could be grass which would mean it was a small model. But there are plants that grow in the waterside that looks like a big version of grass. Couldn't it also be this?

And which Chupacabra picture is a real cryptid?

You guys realise the webmaster's having fun, right? Read the descriptions of the creatures. I'm going from memory here, but one animal was 4-10 feet long, and weighing four tons! Was the creature made of concrete? The guy's obviously having a go at cryptid sites, and I honestly think it's hilarious. I think Josh said something like "the hairy guy is just a hairy guy." That's the webmaster's point, but I guess the jokes not as good if it has to be explained. I'm glad the site was posted, because the guy that made it is pretty darned creative, IMO.

I know it is a spoof site, but many of the pictures are of creatures people claim to have seen.

I suspect FlashGordon is Ricky_2002. I doubt the picture is his either.

Yes, probably a joke site that doesn't quite come off.

follow up

In answer to the question of which chupacabra photograph is genuine, it is the road kill photo of the brown, furry dog-ape thing with the snarling expression.
And actually, most of the "chupacabra" photos posted on that site are real... they're just not of chupacabra. Take the mummy-like chupy', for example. It's a decomposed dog.
As for that chupy' in the tree photo, it is quite fake, as its creator proudly admits in the gallery section of cryptozoology.com

Originally posted by rynner
I suspect FlashGordon is Ricky_2002. I doubt the picture is his either.

I think you're probably right, Rynner, about both things. I just wonder were he got the picture of that guy--too much! He even went so far as to describe his paper of employment a "rag," which I doubt an ultra-serious monster hunter would do. Actually, I found the humor very much in the same vein as The Onion.

Orang Pendek Article...

It can't be the Orang Pendek because its feet aren't backwards... Hmmm The images i've seen are of the print next to a lifesize representation of an Orang Utan print... The front toes point directly forwards unlike the Utan which slant to the side and the side toe distinctly points upwards whereas Orang Utan points downwards... Perhaps this is what is meant by backwards feet? Perhaps OP is in fact a subspecies of Gibbon or Orang Utan.. What you think??

I think we might need a thread on Marco Polo - he's also turned up on the Dog-headed men thread, reporting on such critturs in this same part of the world. Were his dog-heads some kind of Orang?

Hmm true but then the reader is advised when starting to learn about Marco Polo, bless his cotton socks, to take a few things with a pinch of salt... But then hey, when can't that be applied to sooo many things!

It is one theory that the Cynocephali (Dog-heads) were misidentifications of apes, who can (if you're imaginative enough) look like hairy men with canine faces. There are similarities in the two legends... both are supposedly fierce, savage men with animal traits, who do not speak in human language and live in the forests.

Found quite a good Pendek page, btw, http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/7270/orpend.html

I'd still say giant lemurs. Though I can't remember it should have been Polo that reported them.

shuggy said:
This site is probably the funniest thing i have ever seen! where is the creator does he post on this board?
Not if we're lucky

Originally posted by shuggy
this is just like the mystery that surrounded the gorrilla back in the days when there was no such a thing as ape men living in africa. legends told that the gorrilla could walk up right and talk and was just like a human but now when we look at them we dont think twice about them

the orang pendek in my opinion is a step up in the evolution table from the orangutang.. nothing more nothing less, the problem is that it will be ignored by science until someone actually captures one dead or alive

I agree with this pretty much completely, except there might not be an actual orang pendek. What I mean is, if there is something, it's just another animal. Thing is, it might just be a large orangutang. I look quite dissimilar from, say, Gary Coleman (of Different Strokes fame); however, we're the same species. This seems to me that it's likely to be a similar case here.

Shuggy, that's an interesting theory, and if there is such an animal, I'd wager your idea is correct concerning its evolution. What throws me is the native talk about the creature's speech capabilities, because we all know tribesmen are full of crap half the time (just read up on cargo cults--they'll believe anything!). With the exception of the Tribe of Kerchak (from the Tarzan novels), few apes have been known to talk...and apart from, you know, Roddy McDowall and Maurice Evans, of course. And Tim Roth. And the black guy from The Green Mile. Okay, I guess a lot of apes can speak, after all. I'm sorry to have wasted your time on the apespeak sub-topic, since either 1) they can indeed speak, or 2) those Sumatran tribesmen are major shareholders in 20th Century Fox and exercising control over the scripts. If that's the case, perhaps this thread should be moved to the Conspiracy section.

Okay, all BS aside, your theory is by far the most plausible. And I hope it's true, too--as goofy as it sounds, I think it'd be very cool to find another species of Great Ape. Witnessing the closure on the mystery would be entertaining, as well as enlightening, too.

Let's assume the pendeks can speak and we gradually acclimate them into our culture once they learn English. How would one approach a young she-pendek at the local watering hole? My suggestions are:

"Are your paws tired? Because you've been running through my mind."

"Do you have a little human in you? Would you like some?"

"I'm built like Sasquatch from the waist down."

"So, who ties your shoes for you?" Get it?

"I've got the vine, if you'd like to swing."

"Put your sexy paws on me, you damned dirty ape!"

"Has anyone ever told you that you look like Helena Bonham-Carter?"

"I'm a scorpio. I like moonlit walks, cuddling, and throwing feces at onlookers."

"Glory be--a banana in my trousers!"

Okay, I'm out of pendek chat-up lines. It's late and I'm not especially creative at the moment, so forgive any especially weak ones (which constitutes the majority, I'd say). Let the monkey love commence!

hmmm... few theories i've heard..

New species of gibbon if not a new species of ape altogether... Not Orang, think thats only been suggested due to the semi familiar appearance of print evidence in the past..
The backwards foot thing is BS, heard that on the 'net but not spoken by anyone else2b honest...
Human like features? Gibbons have been known to look like really old wrinkly people, which they can do and its not been unknown for some old wrinkly people to look like gibbons im sure!
Why a gibbon? Well looking into the history of an area and what diverse environmental events may have caused the evolution of such a creature, this is of course if it ISNT a completely new species, and 50-60,000 years ago western Sumatra was witness to some of the largest volcanic activity, decimating hundreds of square milesof jungle etc etc. This is one of the reasons why some species are only found in the north and south and not in the west etc.
Now if you're a gibbon used to hanging out in the trees with arboreal features for moving etc and suddenly you find yourself in No Tree City,Arizona, on the ground, open to attack by remaining predators, youre going to have to become something else to survive... Gibbons have a pelvic structure not too unlike a humans, closest ape in that structure to us, enabling over time more natural upright stance.. So give you a few thousand years and by the time the jungle grows back around you you're actually way bigger and stronger than you were before and living on the ground is natural, who wants to go back up in the trees??? Ladies and gentlemen, i present the Orang Pendek....:)

DeLoy's ape was "discovered" in the Americas, so it's unlikely to be a descendent of a gibbon. It also has a very spider-monkey-esque face, which seems to ally it to the New World Monkeys.

Loren Colman made a good case in FT a while back for the DeLoys ape being a hoax. DeLoys was a white supremecist who had a theory that whites were the "top" race because they were descended from advanced hominids, while the other races of the world were direct descendents of the great apes alive today. The native American issue was a problem for DeLoys, because there are no American apes for them to be descended from. So voila, he invented one.

The size of the ape in the picture has also been questioned, and, as there was no photographs of the creature from behind, we only have testimonial accounts that it ideed didn't have a tail. All in all, to me, it looks like like nothing more than a spider-monkey.

It is true, as well, that just because an animal looks different from "normal" members of its species, doesn't mean it's a different species or even subspecies. Many cryptozoological discoveries have been thwarted by tests which have shown that the animals found are mere variations of a known creature... the King Cheetah (a forest-dwelling version of the cheetah with dark stripes - not even a subspecies) and the Onza (a long-legged mutation of the Puma) spring to mind.

Shuggy baby - thanks for posting that pic. Not seen the uncropped version before. It does indeed make the "ape" look big, but not sure it actually proves it. I still favour the spider monkey option.

Spider Monkeys are a South American monkey group. If you read it in a book on DeLoys then that was an innacuracy.

I've heard arguments for or against the fuel can. Original calculations made out that the size of the object the creature was sat un indicated it was over six foot tall. However, more recent re-evaluations have shown that it could be a smaller fuel can than originally thought, and that it would put it within the size of a normal spider monkey.

You're right... the most convincing argument for the reality of the DeLoys ape is how would they find the time and effort for such a hoax in the face of such hardship? However I feel sure much of DeLoys' tales are fabricated to make him look more intrepid, and I suppose we don't really know how far he was willing to go to back his racist theories.

I don't rule out the possibility of DeLoys discovering a huge spider monkey... but if so that's all it is. It's not an 'ape' in the technical sense of the word, just a large monkey. Still a major zoological find, but nowhere near what it would mean if an hominid/ape like the Orang Pendek turned out to be real.

Back