• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Orang Pendek / Orang Dalam / Sedapa [South-East Asia]

Sumatran Orang Pendek 2001 Hair Sample Match Rock Hyrax?

There's been a recent exciting match of the 2001 hair sample with the ventral hairs of the rock hyrax. The evidence can be seen first hand at the official website of Extreme Expeditions on facebook. The evidence is pointing to an ape-like giant hyrax! Perhaps the giant hyrax is clever enough to mimick an orangutan in order to stay aloof and undetected?

While i was in Bali in June 2018, I came across a few people from Sumatra and asked them all individually if they knew of this creature.

One person did claim to have an Orang Pendek sighting near Saribudolok in Sumatra about 20 years ago. Basically she was playing on the outskirts of town when she noticed, about 20 feet away, "a small monkey man" that was sitting down and watching her.

She said the hands and feet were weird because they were just like a person and not the type of hands/feet that a monkey should have. She wasn't scared at all but she yelled for her friends to look, and when she glanced back in the area it was gone. This gave her the impression that it was a ghost.

She got sick immediately afterward and attributes it to the sighting and would rather not talk much about it -- pulling out these few details was a difficult task for me.

She was aware of such a creature before seeing it because her family talked about it often. She says that it has brought good luck and that fortune tellers always mention that someone or something is watching over her and protecting her, but at the same time she thinks talking about mysterious topics will take away from her religion and make her feel lonely. I'm not sure I understand that but it did make sense when she said it.

Thought you may find this of interest.

While i was in Bali in June 2018, I came across a few people from Sumatra and asked them all individually if they knew of this creature.

One person did claim to have an Orang Pendek sighting near Saribudolok in Sumatra about 20 years ago. Basically she was playing on the outskirts of town when she noticed, about 20 feet away, "a small monkey man" that was sitting down and watching her.

She said the hands and feet were weird because they were just like a person and not the type of hands/feet that a monkey should have. She wasn't scared at all but she yelled for her friends to look, and when she glanced back in the area it was gone. This gave her the impression that it was a ghost.

She got sick immediately afterward and attributes it to the sighting and would rather not talk much about it -- pulling out these few details was a difficult task for me.

She was aware of such a creature before seeing it because her family talked about it often. She says that it has brought good luck and that fortune tellers always mention that someone or something is watching over her and protecting her, but at the same time she thinks talking about mysterious topics will take away from her religion and make her feel lonely. I'm not sure I understand that but it did make sense when she said it.

Thought you may find this of interest.

Thanks that's really interesting. I've seen the hand prints and foot prints and they look more human-like than orang-utan like. This may be because it is a ground dweller rather than arboreal. Many people get sick after a sighting, probably due to shock. Saribudolok is in north Sumatra where sightings are very rare, i know none in recent years. Most come from west Sumatra.

Has anyone read/own this book? Is it a worthy addition for the price? @lordmongrove Are you aware of this one? Any thoughts?

Images of the Wildman in Southeast Asia - by Gregory Forth
https://www.amazon.com/Images-Wildm...t_paperback?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1581197049

The book examines ‘wildmen’, images of hairy humanlike creatures known to rural villagers and other local people in Southeast Asia and elsewhere. Sometimes described in considerable detail, the creatures are reported as still living or as having survived until recent times. The aim of the book is to discover the source of these representations and their status in local systems of knowledge, partly in relation to distinct categories of spiritual beings, known animals, and other human groups. It explores images of the wildman from throughout Southeast Asia, focusing in particular on the Indonesian islands, and beyond, including the Asian mainland, Africa, North America, Africa, Australia, and Oceania.

Dr Jeff Meldrum on yeti, orang-pendek, bigfoot and almasty.

Saving this one for later. Just watched the first few minutes...looks good!
@lordmongrove Do you listen to the podcast from Cliff Barackman & James 'Bobo' Fay - Bigfoot & Beyond? Whatever ones opinion on their t.v program (Finding Bigfoot) may be, I've been recently listening to this and they have some exceptionally interesting guests and topics with a number of episodes on the orang-pendek, the Vietnamese Rock apes, Yetis, Yowies as well as the usual North American suspects.

Saving this one for later. Just watched the first few minutes...looks good!
@lordmongrove Do you listen to the podcast from Cliff Barackman & James 'Bobo' Fay - Bigfoot & Beyond? Whatever ones opinion on their t.v program (Finding Bigfoot) may be, I've been recently listening to this and they have some exceptionally interesting guests and topics with a number of episodes on the orang-pendek, the Vietnamese Rock apes, Yetis, Yowies as well as the usual North American suspects.

No, not heard of that one. May try to get on as a guest.

Back again, corruption, bureaucracy and god nut intolerance are taking a grip in Sumatra. However we heard orang-pendek's distinctive cry, found its hand and foot prints and talked to new witnesses. Also we spoke with witnesses to the more human-like orang kardill. We also photographed a Sumatra tiger in an are were these were supposed to be none. I hope to write it all up for FT.

Back