• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oscar Wilde chanelled on 20th August 1962

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
http://www.xs4all.nl/~wichm/wildera.html
http://www.xs4all.nl/~wichm/oswilde.html
On 20th August 1962 a voice manifested in the seance-room of British medium Leslie Flint (see photo)which claimed to be that of the late Oscar Wilde.

The famous Irish poet and dramatist died in Paris in 1900. By that time he had fallen in disgrace by the prudish society. Once he was acclaimed as an artist of brilliant wit and exuberant fancy. As a dramatist his work was distinguished chiefly for brilliant epigrams.

:sceptic:

Thank's to BCraver for the link. :cool:

Interesting.

Spiritualism Is No More Than Trickery - by Derren Brown via The International Survivalist Society (they don't wear camouflage or stockpile tinned food)

Spiritualism ... no more than trickery .... bereaved .... false comfort of thinking .... lost loved ones. Throughout history .... individuals ... claimed they could speak .... in the 19th century ... Edward ... Fox Sisters ... etc etc ..... 19th century spiritualists ... how it works ... Sir Arthur Conan ... Houdini ... Doris Stokes ... knocking noises etc

Fascinating.
Here is the supposed recording of Wilde reciting part of 'The Ballad Of Reading Gaol', made by the Edison Company at the 1900 Paris International Exposition, not long before he died.

Wilde's real voice?

Compare and contrast.:sceptic:

If the first recording is true, and the minor irritants of earth are gone on the other side, then one can only assume that Bosie Douglas has calmed down a bit.
:D

Either that or Oscar got his own back and has sentenced Bosie to hard labour somewhere 'off cloud'....

bulldog said:
Either that or Oscar got his own back and has sentenced Bosie to hard labour somewhere 'off cloud'....

I've always felt sorry for Bosie, he was just a bit nuts, but I'm sure they'd both happily condemn Queensberry to the stinkiest hottest depth of hell.
;)

Yes he sounded like a right T**T. Perhaps it was genetic, the madness i mean

bulldog said:
Yes he sounded like a right T**T. Perhaps it was genetic, the madness i mean

Most likely, various members of the Douglas family did away with themselves, including Bosie's older brother, Lord Castlereagh, who was secretary to the future Prime Minister, Lord Rosebury. Also, Bosie's only child, Raymond Douglas, spent much of his life institutionalised, as he was very unstable indeed.
:(
The curse of the Black Douglas?

I'm still rather taken with the story told by a sceptic faced with an alleged medium who claimed to be chanelling his grandfather:

"Could he just remind me of the derevation of Kepler's second law?" :D

the spiritual wilde seems more a crashing bore than a wit.

Faggus said:

Yes, he dosn't seem to have the razor wit he was famous for in life. To use one of his own more bitchy lines,'it was like having tea with a retired schoolmaster.'

Faggus said:
What's also interesting is the fact that he's got a really fruity and English, "Mr Kipling makes exceedingly good cakes" accent on the tape, whilst the owner of the accent on the Edison Phonograph recording sounds a bit like the Irish actor Cyril Cusack.

I'd go with the very refined Cyril Cusack style accent as being most likely to be the genuine article.

You know what Androman, I was thinking the 'spirit' voice reminded me of something!
You keep expecting him to go off on one about bramley apple turnovers, or some other such overprocessed crap.
The Edison recording tallies far better with written descriptions of Wilde's spoken voice. Here's a chunk from the Richard Elleman biog-
'Max Beerbohm said that Wilde's was ''A mezzo voice, uttering itself in liesurely fashion, with every variety of tone''. Wilde's perfect sectances seemed to Yeats to have been written ''overnight with labour and yet all spontanious.''

Also this, about the press reaction on his arriving in the US for his famous lecture tour.-
'Another thought Wilde spoke in hexameters; the New York World heard him accenting every fourth syllable in a kind of sing-song:''I thought America was the best place to see.''

The curse of the Black Douglas?

I had an old hardback copy of The Black Douglas and i never even read it. Took it to a bookshop over here and got about $5 for it.....

Damn!

I should try and track that one down.
The library has a copy of Douglas's legendarily apologetic and revisionist 1941 autobiog in it's catalogue, but last time I looked it was in storage and not available for loan. I'll try again now they've finished some renovations, it might be back.
It probably comes with a box of table salt.
:)

Apologies for seeming thick but is it actually about the Douglas family? I'll be very annoyed if you say yes, i thought it was just a work of fiction. :(

How old was it?
The reason why it piqued my curiosity is there was a chessy novel with a similar title, but it was published in 2000. Anything older would be most interesting, as references to the Black Douglas are few and far between.
I think this calls for a new thread in UL/legends, I'm off to start it!

I'd say it was from about 1940. It was hardbacked, black with gold lettering on the spine. Can't remember the author. I'm going back to the bookshop tomorrow to see if they've still got it in and if they have i'll do some negotiations. I took a bagful of books all at once and as i said i only got about $5 for the lot as they said they couldn't sell them. If it's there and they're asking more than $5 for it i'll be rather angry.

bulldog said:
I'd say it was from about 1940. It was hardbacked, black with gold lettering on the spine. Can't remember the author. I'm going back to the bookshop tomorrow to see if they've still got it in and if they have i'll do some negotiations. I took a bagful of books all at once and as i said i only got about for the lot as they said they couldn't sell them. If it's there and they're asking more than for it i'll be rather angry.

Aha! Maybe its The Black Douglas by S R Crockett, written in 1899 (interesting considering the Douglses had been in the news only four years before). Apparently it's got sorcery in it!
:eek:

Also: The cheapest copy on Abebooks is about £5!

Hello, My name is Gary Morris. I've recently begun composing a rock music rendition of Oscar Wilde's "The Ballad of Reading Gaol." You can listen to it on my Facebook profile which is public or on my Soundcloud profile. I would love to get some feedback as to what Oscar Wilde admirers think. If it's not appropriate to ask, then please accept my apologies. here are the links: Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011338919705

Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/gary-lee-morris

Thanks,

Gary

Oscar Wilde 'channels' quite regularly...

I'm referring to the Irish Ferry of that name, which is generally on the Rosslare - Cherbourg run. After passing Lands End, she heads up the English Channel towards Cherbourg, passing south of here (Falmouth) en route. And she sometimes comes into the docks here for repairs or refits.

I can follow this 'channeling' on a ship tracking progamme like MarineTraffic. I wonder what old Oscar would have thought of his namesake being tracked by maritime enthusiasts with computers? :evil:

An English born mathematician named George Boole "is credited with laying the foundations for the information age."
Boole became "the first professor of mathematics at Queen's College, Cork"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Boole

So there is an Irish connection, but I doubt if Boole and Wilde ever met - Wilde was only 10 when Boole died in 1864.

Hello, My name is Gary Morris. I've recently begun composing a rock music rendition of Oscar Wilde's "The Ballad of Reading Gaol." You can listen to it on my Facebook profile which is public or on my Soundcloud profile. I would love to get some feedback as to what Oscar Wilde admirers think. If it's not appropriate to ask, then please accept my apologies. here are the links: Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100011338919705

Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/gary-lee-morris

Thanks,

Gary

I like it and I've Tweeted it. I hope you get to develop it further.

Back