• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
theyithian said:
Are they going out of fashion nowdays? I've not heard a yarn or a cautionary tale for many a year.

Yvette'n'Karl're trying to bring them back. Screaming's also very 'in'. ;)

Re: oiuja boards

kindalikeirony said:
A couple of minutes later, the other girls heard her screaming, ran up to see what was wrong and she'd had her head twisted right 'round.

Riiiiight. :hmm:

Well, that would be a physical impossibility. Unless of course, somebody incredibly strong had broken her neck and turned it round. Usually, such a major trauma to the neck would cause death instantly (as one of the other posters pointed out). She wouldn't be able to run or scream.

*...one of the opther posters pointed out.*
I beg your pardon!
Just call me "comeback" Whelk come bark, as I say to a return from where ever. :D

Like some other posters, I am interested that ouija boards are regarded as dangerous by so many people in the UK. I grew up in Germany, where you can still buy them in toy stores, and now that I live in the US, I see them in toy stores here too. I don't think they're believed in so much.

But I also played with it as a teenager. Nothing paranormal happened, though. No moving objects or nightmares or anything. We got a lot of strange messages, but I think my friends and I just liked to see who could move it without being caught or make it say the strangest things. I was good friends with a boy who was very into ouija, and from him I got all the urban legends about it. A lot of them seem to be international. And there seem to be sort of laws of ouija, that if you play it long enough, eventually, you will get a message supposed to be from the devil. Someone will ask, "What is your name?" and it will spell "Satan" or "Lucifer" or whatever the devil is called in your language. Sometimes it will spell something like "Xzlyzulx" and say it's a demon. Then it will tell you you're going to die. Maybe everyone is just getting hell's answering machine? ;)

In my continuing efforts to experience anything (even slightly Fortean) my friend and I are entering the world of Ouija boards. This is not something I have ever really dabbled in and I could really appreciate any advice that's forthcoming. Could anyone recommend a specific board type? Should i be getting the classic Fuld design by Waddingtons or does it really not matter? Are there any preperations that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any (non pxss taking!) responses.

We have threads on this. The concensus is that ouija-users end up as gibbering wrecks. Go for it! :D

linesmachine said:
In my continuing efforts to experience anything (even slightly Fortean) my friend and I are entering the world of Ouija boards.

To experience Fortean incidents, either find a way to raise your unconscious and subconscious, or failing that, tragically misperceive normality or as a last ditch resort, lower your expectations.

jimv1 said:
linesmachine said:
In my continuing efforts to experience anything (even slightly Fortean) my friend and I are entering the world of Ouija boards.

To experience Fortean incidents, either find a way to raise your unconscious and subconscious, or failing that, tragically misperceive normality or as a last ditch resort, lower your expectations.

Or install Photoshop.

But, seriously, be prepared to meet your darkside: ain't usually pretty.

I'm going to check out those links when it's not past midnight - too creepy!

The few people i've known that tried ouija imo ended up pretty freaked from unintentionally pranking themselves, but also a lot of the stories had some other odd element to them that was disquieting, one involved a key in someone's pocket that ended up on a glass tabletop without any of them seeing or hearing it get put down.

Ooer, that video froze just as they started to use the Ouija board. :shock:

I'm sure it was all rooted in the mind, but at Uni I stayed in an old Victorian three storey townhouse that had a lovely friendly atmosphere. Never worried about staying there on my own, despite the landlady telling us a few tales.

One night I had been out and came in late to see my landlady's light on, her room was next to mine, and so stuck my head round to say goodnight. She looked white as a sheet and went on to explain that her and one of my other housemates had had a few drinks and made a ouija board.

Evidently it had come up with some pretty nasty and vindictive stuff towards my housemate that had clearly shocked her as well. She was a teacher at a decent school and I think has gone on to be a head since, and was a generally lovely person, so not someone you'd expect to play a cruel prank.

It could well have been an act, could have been her manipulating the letters but she honestly looked perturbed, and as I say I do not think she would have done that to my housemate either.

As noted, this part was probably all in my mind, but the house just seemed to have an oppressive and evil feel to it and I think I lasted about 10 minutes in bed before I got up and went over to stay at my girlfriend of the times flat.

:shock:

I generally am quite sceptic, but as a rule would not like to take the risk of being proven wrong by one of these things.

There must be people who have done it and nothing happened or there was no negative vibe, but that is all that ever seems to come from them it seems.

Whether that is supernatural or a mental effect is another matter, but nobody ever seems to have tales of doing a ouija board and then feeling great and winning on a scratchcard the next day etc...

Ouija board questions-the Kenny Everet connection

I recently heard a true story relating to, and as a warning against using the ouija board.Before he died, the late comedian Kenny Everet was "playing with" the ouija board with some friends.Whilst using it,one of his friends was contacted by the spirit of a woman who only identified herself by her initials,which happened to be the same initials as his girlfriend.On further questioning,the spirit was asked when she had died.She replied "noon today".Which rather shocked the ouija board practictioners.She then told them she had died in a car crash and gave her name,which totaly shocked Everet`s friend because that was the same name as his girlfriend`s. She then said,on being asked where she was,"in a mortuary" in a certain named hospital.By this time,the boyfriend was highly agitated and said"if this is some kind of joke it is in very poor taste".So he rang the mortuary and was told,yes,this person`s body was indeed in the mortuary.The last message from the spirit was "join me". Advice:STOP USING THE OUIJA BOARD NOW PLEASE.

Re: Ouija board questions-the Kenny Everet connection

Dickydevo said:
I recently heard a true story relating to, and as a warning against using the ouija board.Before he died, the late comedian Kenny Everet was "playing with" the ouija board with some friends.Whilst using it,one of his friends was contacted by the spirit of a woman who only identified herself by her initials,which happened to be the same initials as his girlfriend.On further questioning,the spirit was asked when she had died.She replied "noon today".Which rather shocked the ouija board practictioners.She then told them she had died in a car crash and gave her name,which totaly shocked Everet`s friend because that was the same name as his girlfriend`s. She then said,on being asked where she was,"in a mortuary" in a certain named hospital.By this time,the boyfriend was highly agitated and said"if this is some kind of joke it is in very poor taste".So he rang the mortuary and was told,yes,this person`s body was indeed in the mortuary.The last message from the spirit was "join me". Advice:STOP USING THE OUIJA BOARD NOW PLEASE.

That is actually very creepy, sent a shiver down my spine.

All the more so because it is a 'true story'... :shock: :lol:

It is scary as anything ,but is their any evidence? It sounds more like an urban legend.

Everett was also a devout catholic, so you'd think he wouldn;t hold with stuff like ouija.

Not that being catholic ever stopped him doing anything else he wanted to though. Everything about him was some strange kind of surprise. :lol:

The ouija board is one of those great things that many sceptics say "its all crap but I'm not taking any chances". My infant and junior school was a convent school and as much as I'd like to think that I'm open minded I would go near one.

BlackRiverFalls said:
Everett was also a devout catholic, so you'd think he wouldn;t hold with stuff like ouija.

Not that being catholic ever stopped him doing anything else he wanted to though. Everything about him was some strange kind of surprise. :lol:

Everett's wife was a psychic, she wrote books on spooky celeb encounters, so it's not entirely unlikely he'd dabble with the ouija.

But doesn't any person with a strong religious affiliation have some belief in the supernatural? I don't see a conflict with Catholicism and other paranormal enquiries. Then again, I wouldn't play with a Ouija. No Sireeee!

Firstly I truly want to thank everyone for their responses, however bonkers. I didn't expect this thread to gain much interest as my usual topics of 'I'm now trying THIS particular Fortean activity' are often ignored.

I'm in the process of buying a board from an antique dealer, although only for £20 so it's hardly like I'm forking out. By atleast it's an old, supposedly haunted board. So that should increase the likelihood of activity.

My friend and I are going camping in a specificly spiritual place, I'd rather not say where right now becuase it's not tchnically allowed. Suffice to say it's a major UK paranormal destination!

I now need some advice about how to use the board. This question might sound stupid but i understand the principal, i just don't know any of the detail. Are certain prayer type chants required? Do i really need to say goodbye to the spirits etc? Any suggestions would be awesome, and really useful as the camping trip is only a few weeks away.

Hi there,

I am sure I introduced myself somewhere a while ago, however ill health has kept me away from the boards of late. I hope you don't mind me putting in my two penneth worth with regards this subject.

I find that doing ANY form of spirit work is aided by asking for guidance from our gaurdians, ancestors, teachers etc. Ouija board work is just the same as any other form of spirit contact in the sense that you cannot guarantee what/whom you are bringing through. Due to this, I always choose to ask for protection for myself, any other participants and for the space in which we are working.

During the time we are connected with spirit or any energy form, I always like to treat them with utmost respect - just as I would with anyone in this realm. I always give thanks for the energy/information they have given to me and wish for them to always be surrounded in positive light.

I close down by thanking guardians an guides etc for their presence and protection during the communication just completed and I ask that they clear my aura, the auras of the other participants and that of the space in which we are and fill our auras with positive energy only. Again I thank them for doing this.

I will say that you trust 100% the people that you are working with, that alcohol or any form of drugs are not involved, that the people you may work with are not currently unwell or suffer depression/bipolar etc. I will also say that you bring a halt to proceedings should anyone feel greatly uncomfortable/fearful/or have negative feelings/anger/the urge to harm themselves or someone else etc. I say this as the way people feel can effect the others around the board and false readings will occur.

Take everything slowly and make sure you open and close down properly, use protection and everything should work out fine. Good luck :)

If you find this of use and need some simple words to use, then please message me and I will write the words I use for spiritual work.

Limes, don't put yourself down, I for one always look forward to your 'paranormal adventure' threads. :)

Mostly because, as you always let us know what your're aiming for, we wait to see if it happened. Because if you can do it, I can do it. So if you do, do it, it's a kind of trusted source. Even though we don't know who you are. Or your credentials. Or have any other good reason to trust you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, I too like reading about your paranormal adventures. However, I find that teh spookiness tends to happen when I least expect it so setting myself up for it probably wouldn't help.

Anyway, as I say, we have several threads on Ouija-type subjects so why not have a look on there? Plenty of personal accounts there from FTMB posters, including myself, particularly the scary story of the demon-thing that was left behind when Techy and his mates fooled about with the Ouija. Brrr.

Yep, good luck with your paranormal trip. I'm another who enjoys reading about them. :D

Back