• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Someone made a faulty batch: only the B and the G work.

Masterful crisis marketing if you ask me.
:rofl: Ouija boards don’t work, there is always someone secretly manipulating the planchette. Or they have very shakey hands.

I only ever used it once with some neighbours when I was pregnant with my eldest.
When we all touched it it was like an electric current ran down my arm and the neighbour's siamese cat ran around crying loudly.
I thought" I wonder if I can use my mind to spell out Gavin "which I would have named the baby if it was a boy but it spelled out Karen.
That night I felt as if something was sitting on my chest so I never tried it again although the neighbours did.

I only ever used it once with some neighbours when I was pregnant with my eldest.
When we all touched it it was like an electric current ran down my arm and the neighbour's siamese cat ran around crying loudly.
I thought" I wonder if I can use my mind to spell out Gavin "which I would have named the baby if it was a boy but it spelled out Karen.
That night I felt as if something was sitting on my chest so I never tried it again although the neighbours did.
Ouija boards are like tarot cards, they are just tools. It is the human mind that determines the success of either tool. If you believe a tool has power, then you have imbued that Ouija with power, but it all comes from your belief, not the board itself. You were with others and they were obviously tuned into the board but, the board itself had no power. My question is, was the name Karen a name you had discussed with them in casual conversation?

Ouija boards are like tarot cards, they are just tools. It is the human mind that determines the success of either tool. If you believe a tool has power, then you have imbued that Ouija with power, but it all comes from your belief, not the board itself. You were with others and they were obviously tuned into the board but, the board itself had no power. My question is, was the name Karen a name you had discussed with them in casual conversation?
No because I had thought that I would probably have a boy as most of the neighbours had. I did like the name as i'd taught a lovely little girl with that name.

I don't think that the name 'Karen' is that far away, so to speak, from 'Gavin', really.

:rofl: Ouija boards don’t work, there is always someone secretly manipulating the planchette. Or they have very shakey hands.
Now there's a bold statement, I have no idea if they work or not I just don't know so I would not be as comfortable as you to come out with such a bold statement, but I take it you have all the research to back up this up

to me being a Fotean is to drop dogma. look at things at Face Value, look for other evidence but never dismiss anything out of hand without having all the evidence to the contrary

Now there's a bold statement, I have no idea if they work or not I just don't know so I would not be as comfortable as you to come out with such a bold statement, but I take it you have all the research to back up this up

to me being a Fotean is to drop dogma. look at things at Face Value, look for other evidence but never dismiss anything out of hand without having all the evidence to the contrary
The boards are just made of wood or plastic, same as the planchette. They have no function on their own power. It is the human mind that determines the “power” of the board. If someone believes in the board’s power, then the board will be perceived to have power. Whether consciously or not, that person will move the planchette. If there are multiple people sharing the planchette, I feel someone will be moving it.

When I was young (12/13) years old, a friend of mine had a board and we played with it everyday after school and it always worked. Fast forward 45 years or so, I was assistant manager for KB Toy store and we had a shipment of Ouija boards. I bought one for my son and I. We sat there for quite awhile and nothing happened. I said to my son my friend from years ago had to have been moving the planchette because I know I never did. I returned the board and jokingly told my boss it was broken.

This is not proof whether they work or not but I am in the business of the occult where I deal with the unknown vs the known and the one thing I can say is the human mind is very powerful. If you believe in something strongly enough you might be able to manifest it in the material world. The Ouija boards have no power, they were a parlor trick but if someone believes a spirit is talking to you through it, that belief is manifested through you, not the board.

The boards are just made of wood or plastic, same as the planchette. They have no function on their own power. It is the human mind that determines the “power” of the board. If someone believes in the board’s power, then the board will be perceived to have power. Whether consciously or not, that person will move the planchette. If there are multiple people sharing the planchette, I feel someone will be moving it.

When I was young (12/13) years old, a friend of mine had a board and we played with it everyday after school and it always worked. Fast forward 45 years or so, I was assistant manager for KB Toy store and we had a shipment of Ouija boards. I bought one for my son and I. We sat there for quite awhile and nothing happened. I said to my son my friend from years ago had to have been moving the planchette because I know I never did. I returned the board and jokingly told my boss it was broken.

This is not proof whether they work or not but I am in the business of the occult where I deal with the unknown vs the known and the one thing I can say is the human mind is very powerful. If you believe in something strongly enough you might be able to manifest it in the material world. The Ouija boards have no power, they were a parlor trick but if someone believes a spirit is talking to you through it, that belief is manifested through you, not the board.
So you are saying that they do work but not in the way people think they work?

So you are saying that they do work but not in the way people think they work?
I think of the Ouija board as being just a tool to invoke the unknown - bit like a computer really, you use it to set a question, and you never really know exactly what's going to arrive along with the question you originally asked! But what arrives might well stay attached to the board itself - who really knows?

Yes, but not always.

I use a home made ouija board -scrabble letters and a little 'tot'glass.
Sometimes absolutely nothing happens, at other times I know some other energy is using my hand, but not in a frightening way.

BUT as I've said before, I don't use it for fun, and I don't use it if I've been drinking alcohol, or if I feel depressed.
I DO use it if I genuinely want a second opinion on the health of a pet, or a serious answer on something.
BUT (no.2!) I don't take the answer I get as necessarily absolutely true.
Whoever is communicating may only be giving their opinion!
(Of course, the 'answers' may simply be coming from my own subconscious.
But that doesn't explain why the ouija board only works sometimes !)

(Of course, the 'answers' may simply be coming from my own subconscious.
But that doesn't explain why the ouija board only works sometimes !)
Thank you for replying. That is very interesting. Do you by any chance have a heart or respiratory problem? High blood pressure? Those physical states might explain why the board only works intermittently for you. Something I would like to know is do you have an idea who you have contacted?

Well ,I'm the wrong side of 75 (years) and I found I could use it on my own a bit more than 60 years ago!
I've got slightly high blood pressure now, but certainly didn't when I was still at school.
It worked very easily when I was a teenager -all that young energy- but not always.

I had the sense at a certain point to give it a rest, as I felt I was getting a bit frightened of what I was doing.
I came from a very serious Christian family, so knew when not to mess about!

Do I believe I communicate with someone 'on the other side'?
Yes, but definitely not always the same someone, and probably not someone who's reached the higher regions of the spirit world.

I've likened it in the past to the internet or CB radio -you don't really know who you are talking to.
I protect myself with a little prayer first -I have no wish to encounter malicious spirits.

I have to say I've occasionally asked a genuine, serious question, and been given an answer that has really made me THINK!
(As in -"I've never thought of it like that before")

Well ,I'm the wrong side of 75 (years) and I found I could use it on my own a bit more than 60 years ago!
I've got slightly high blood pressure now, but certainly didn't when I was still at school.
It worked very easily when I was a teenager -all that young energy- but not always.

I had the sense at a certain point to give it a rest, as I felt I was getting a bit frightened of what I was doing.
I came from a very serious Christian family, so knew when not to mess about!

Yes, but definitely not always the same someone, and probably not someone who's reached the higher regions of the spirit world.

I've likened it in the past to the internet or CB radio -you don't really know who you are talking to.
I protect myself with a little prayer first -I have no wish to encounter malicious spirits.

I have to say I've occasionally asked a genuine, serious question, and been given an answer that has really made me THINK!
(As in -"I've never thought of it like that before")
CB Radio and the Internet are great analogies, I suspect that you need quite a bit of energy to make them work, hence some of the more frightening cases have been when young people have been trying them out, I also believe some of the mischievous entities enjoy frightening the life out of people as they also feed off this energy

See, that scares me. The unknown contacts. I would not want them in my home. Tarot does not invite something in for a chat. As a reader, I control the messaging. If I would want to speak to the other side, I would go to a medium. Perhaps you are more psychic than you think!

See, that scares me. The unknown contacts. I would not want them in my home. Tarot does not invite something in for a chat. As a reader, I control the messaging. If I would want to speak to the other side, I would go to a medium. Perhaps you are more psychic than you think!
But you don't believe in them so how could one harm you?

If you are a bit psychic, which I suspect I am (but don't forget I come from a very Christian family), I don't think it really matters what instrument/ vehicle you use, it's whatever most appeals to you - tea leaves, crystal ball, tarot cards, palmistry, whatever!
When I was a teenager I occasionally got 'premonition 'dreams -all that young energy again!
(Actually that un-nerved me far more than the glass and letters.)

It's your attitude and moral intention that matters.
I got reprimanded once when asking a facetious question about boyfriends (I was about 14 years old) - the words I spelt out were "Do not vex me". (Certainly not my vocabulary.)
That frightened me -I apologised profusely and didn't do it again!

Back