• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
broadband connection to God

Why do we always here stories of people trying to contact the devil or hitler, but no-one ever tries to contact god. Surely, if all these things exist it would be better to contact the one entity you know will be on your side?
Or is it every that has tried has disappeared, never to tell their tale?:)

V.intersting thread by the way. Still quite a tempting experience.

I've heard so, so many experiences of ouija board that all seem entirely believable.

I visited my dear old Mum recently and it cropped up in conversation and she told me about how her and a couple of friends tried it out when she was a teenager and how it "worked". They asked it a great deal of questions and the glass moved and replied to the answers - until someone asked it if the devil existed, at which point the glass threw itself at a wall and smashed. My Mum remembers the experience vividly and absolutely assures me there was no-one moving the glass. She remembers the sheer terror of her and her friends when they asked that final question. My Mum would have absolutely no reason at all to lie to me about this and I believe her 100%.

Why don't we solve this thing once and for all? You know, if between us we could get undeniable proof of just *something* paranormal, then so many other mysteries could be investigated. It would just be nice for me to prove or disprove that anything seemingly paranormal existed.

I'm willing to loan a digital video camera, and could probably borrow a couple more. Let's find some people with Ouija experience, stick them in a room (away from me - I'm scared) and video the whole thing and see what happens.

Anyone up for that?

It would be great if we could call up some nice, friendly spirits too, if possible! I wonder if these spirits are pissed off because people are calling them up all the time and annoying them - maybe they just want to scare us so we'll leave well alone and give them some peace and quiet!

> Chaz <

p.s. I just had *double* deja-vu whilst writing this! I remember writing this e-mail before and whilst writing it remembering that I'd written it before! Last time I remember writing this I put a :) in the bracket after "I'm scared" though, so I've intentionally altered this e-mail! That was weird :p

Actually with all the home video cameras out there, I'm surprised that there hasn't been any videos of ouija sessions showing up.

Diabolik

Why doesn't someone hold a ouija session where everyone's blindfolded except one sceptical person with a notebook ready to transcribe the answers 'from beyond'.

Probably because it's all in your head. Be it 'the forces of unconciousness' or whatever.

durriti said:
Full marks for spelling and punctuation Escargot. Stranger death than you reckoned though, she was run over by a jet ski off Acapulco, with resulting horrific head injuries, after pushing her kids out of the way of the imbecile driving it (we get eejits like that killing 3 or 4 people every summer over here). Her (excellent) last album released a couple of weeks b4 her death was entitled "Tropical Brainstorm". Ok it's not quite "Ride a White Swan" spooky , but it is a nasty coincidence.

???? The old T. Rex song?....What spooky about that?

Wasn't "Ride a White Swan" Bolans last hit before his intimate involvement with that tree?

we used to do them as kids. i'm still trying to find mates to do one with me. most pretend their too old and don't believe in it.
used to do them in school but we would spin a coin in the middle for each letter or yes/no. dunno wether it was just a placebo but we seemed it get alot of yes/no answers and the coin would spin REALLY weirdly (as in look like it was gonna stop spinning in a nowhere place on the board then suddenly zip to an answer).
still wanna test if it only work cos we where dum kids who merely thought it worked or if you can get anwsers by doing it properly.
like i said if i get some people to have a go i will post the results.

Advice

Learn a banishing ritual and perform it after every session, but make sure any friendly entities are aware of your intentions first.
Details are available on any Magic website.
I've done this many times, and even the nasties didn't cause any trouble afterwards.

Banishing Ritual

Steve, what form does such a ritual take (you're speaking to the ignorant non-occultist here, sorry)?
Just wondered because I'm thinking about having a go with the old talking board, but I don't fancy finding a goblin under me bed or a glass stuck in my forehead, come to think of it, I might give it a miss!

e.g. LBRP
... did a quick search and found this - http://www.geocities.com/shadowsofasiya/lbrp.html
In some form or another it is one of the most basic banishing/purifying/proctective rituals in a lot of different schools of magic(k). It is often performed everyday at least during the early stages of ones magic(k)al career, and usually before any kind of magic(k)al operation ..... you are suppose to memorize it but you will know it by heart after a week or two of daily practice from the notes.

OUIJA

FROM THE FRENCH AND GERMAN FOR "YES"
THE BOARD WILL SAY YES MORE OFTEN THAN IT SAYS NO.
IF ONE OF THE GROUP PERFORMING THE OUIJA IS PARTICULARLY PSYCHIC THEN IT WILL, MORE OFTEN THAN NOT ACTUALLY WORK - IF NOT ZIP.
RESULTS TEND TO BE NASTY.

I wouldn't worry too much about finding a Gnome under the bed, as long as you approach the venture with due respect for the entities you manage to contact. Most of my hairy experiences [Of which there have only been a few.] have been a direct result of the participants messing about and taking the Mickey.
I tend to regard the ouija as a sort of psychic CB radio. Sometimes you contact someone who is ok and you can have a good laugh and be on very familiar terms with them. Others spell out gibberish, while some deliberately set out to frighten you so they can feed off your fear energy.
I tend to feel that, as a lot of my good friends are on the other side, they will generally look out for me, while at the same time not allowing me to become blind to the fact that there are some nasties lurking around. Not unlike this very internet over which we now communicate.
There are many different ideas as to whether these personalities are the actual souls of the people they once were, or what is generally referred to as the astral shells which used to contain them. Either way, they seem to retain the personalities of the people they used to be, and when a benevolent person is contacted, they can be extremely amusing and informative, and I suppose they maybe feed off the positive energy we emanate when having a good time, which I, personally don't mind.
As I mentioned before, the details of the banishing ritual are available from any magic website, just type religion, occult, magic into any comprehensive search engine, and you should be presented with a plethora of relevant websites that are helpful, and not in the least bit spooky.
Look for the lesser banishing ritual of the pentagram, and follow the instructions. Failing that, let me know, and I'll type out my own personalised version for you. Although it doesn't take long to perform, it takes quite a while to type, which is why I haven't done it here.
Best wishes,
Steve.

e-ghosts?

Steve - with your comments on the internet you might have hit on something. People behave very differently on the net compared with how they might in public. Anonymity brings a certain sense of power and playfulness - people - it's wellknown - pretened to be others, behave more irrationally than they might normally. It sounds very familiar, doesn't it? - and might explain, I think, the odd attitude of our glass-manouevering chums.... (Hmmm.... mice/glasses, mouse-mats/boards; hmmm indeed!)

This similarity has always struck me ... the first (and probably last heh heh) time I participated in live internet chat I got the same weird creepy sensation I recalled from teenage ouija sessions.
Plus at the company I used to work out my immediate boss had remote desktop set up at home to the servers I was helping look after and to get my attention he would circle the mouse in the middle of the screen .... this used to give me the same hair-on-the-back-of-the-neck type feeling at first ......
..... and yes the personalities of people and reliability of information thing etc has marked similarities too .... which has often made me wonder about "trolls" .... in that the internet troll is obviously named after the mythological troll, but calling offensive ouija board "contacts" trolls after the internet phenomenon seems to bring the whole thing full circle .....
sorry.
Ranting.
I am one of those people, incidentally, who had terrifying ouija experiences as an adolescent which, on adult reflection, were probably down to my mate trying to freak me out .... or is that just a rationalisation etc etc etc

If

Let's face it - if you were a spook, who would you be? Yourself or someone else - Hitler, or even, going back to an earlier post (and this would be fun) Darth Vader?
Subconscious or spook, it does sound like fun.

ouija-net

This gets wierder. the ouija is starting more and more to resemble the net - wonder if it's a useful allegory? You know - you have to 'set up and log in' (albeit mentally) to connect with others. I wonder if you'd need this process the more you did it, whether it would start to happen without all the acoutrements...
This is very interesting. You also wonder whether there's that morphic field, a place where the living and the dead exist in some sort of metaphysical cyberspace...

Something else I was thinking about was the abrieviations ... I don't really remember but I suppose like text messaging and web-isms we (sorry, the spirits!:D ) used "u" for you n my dimly remembered ouija sessions ... but I happened to read a modern ouija story on the net a while ago and one of the messages this person said they had received was "ur 2 yz", meaning "you're too wise" ..... and I am pretty sure the ouija never said anything like that to me fifteen years ago!

Proof that the messages come from the operator's unconscious or proof of greater net-savvy amongst the dead?!:confused: :)

The whole setup of the ouija is to suggest it is just psychological. There is no evidence at all supporting any links with the deceased. Using an object as a focus point for psychic phenomema is not new or uncommon, surely this is all it is. Talking to 'Darth Vadr' or other living being supports this idea.

Psychic phenomena itself can in many cases be described as simply a hightened awareness of those close to you - an unconscious deciphering of someones muscle spasms, eye movement coupled with an in depth knowledge of their thought history. Don't so easily give into the idea of spirits (a whole part of our brain is given tospiritualising things we do not understand). Thik out of the box.

Has anyone read 'The Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts : A Riveting Investigation Into Channelling and Spirit Guides' - Joe Fisher?

Recommended. Colin Wilson reckons one such spirit guide/ghost caused Fisher's death.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2922010594&category=1523

Hardcore proof that Parker were selling Ouija boards as recently as 92'.

I would never use a Ouija board. Not sure I beleive it is anything real or just active imaginations moving the glass. Guess you can never say unless you've done it.

Once at school in abou 91' when i was about 12 a few girls did a Ouija and told me I would break my leg in the forthcoming school play. I was in the school play my leg renmained intact. Had it broke Im sure coincidence would have been as much to blame.

Second occassion was at Uni in about 99'. My landlady and friend Craig were in one night, I came home from work at a town centre bar in Darlington, to find them both white as sheets. they'd done a Ouija and said they'd spoken to a small boy called Jack who used to live in the house. It was an old Victorian townhouse. Secondly they met an evil spirit that told them Craig's future was as a rent-boy. My landlady liked a laugh adn anything else Id have put it down to her winding him up but she looked equally as csared and Craig was a bit camp, and later came out, so I doubt she'd have been as nasty to him as to say he was gonna be a rent boy.

Anyway, that night I felt incredibly uneasy and eneded up running across town to my gfriend at the times house.

Craig went on to claim he saw Jack in his room and came home to find all his college books stacked up in the centre of his room. The house always had a slightly creepy feel after that night but I put it down to my imagination.

Hello!

This is my first post to the message board.

Hmmm, ouija boards - just say no! I think the best thing to do, if you are interested in contacting the spirits, is to go to a spiritualist church. This may seem a bit of a strange thing to suggest, but here's my experience of it...

I've seen, heard, felt and even smelt ghosts around me from right when I was younger, and it's always freaked me out. But when I moved into a street which had a spiritualist church in it, I decided to go. It made me realise that ghosts are only dead people, and their messages are always rather boring. One day I got a message from my grandma, to remind me that I used to eat all her chocolate biscuits when I was a child. You'd think death would be more exciting, glamorous or creepy. Sadly not! It's all very normal.

So don't do ouija - go to a spiritualist church. The mediums are trained for several years, and it's a very friendly, welcoming place to be. I don't go all that often, but when I do, I enjoy it. The mediums say that sometimes the spirits play around - once I went and the medium got a confused message, which she put down to the spirit being a practical joker. When the service finished, we couldn't get out of the church, because a practical joker had tied the doors of the church together with string! So - was this the playful spirit, or had the medium picked up on the naughty kids who hung out outside the chip shop?

I think every fortean should at least try out a spiritualist church - are the mediums actually contacting the spirits, or are they reading the congregations minds, or slipping into Jung's collective subconsciousness?

Well, that's my ha'pporth!
(BTW, I once had a letter printed in Fortean Times - it was when my grandad faffed about with the Word document my mum was typing for the order of service for his funeral).

About the breaking a leg in the play don't people usually tell performers to break a leg, instead of good luck?

Dansette said:
You'd think death would be more exciting, glamorous or creepy. Sadly not! It's all very normal.

Haha, it sounds like "The Turkey Farm" from Kurt Vonnegut's Slapstick :)

A few years ago, before I grew too ashamed to buy it, Bizarre noted a company was selling an "Angel Board"- exactly the same as a ouija board, but IIRC it had a pleasant blue sky and fluffy clouds painted background.

I also think it might have been aimed at children, which, along with the potentially misleading idea that you're contacting angels, does seem a bit dodgy, given the possible freakiness that could occur, even if the human mind is merely responsible, rather than ultraterrestrials or ghosts or whatever.

I have to say, though, a ouija board does seem a rather simplistic apparatus for summoning spirits with. There are so many things that resemble a flat thing with letters on, you'd think spirits would be busting out all over whenever someone read a newspaper.

There's quite a very interesting article on James Merrill's ouija-induced poetry in an old issue of the Anomalist (can't remember which one it is, though). I've always thought that between EVP, ouija boards, automatic writing and hypnotic techniques, you could write one hell of an occult concept album, channelled directly from beyond.

bored boards

Here's just something I've noticed.

I grew up in the Midwest in America and everybody had ouija boards. We got and gave them for Birthdays and Christmas (ha ha, the irony!) and all sorts. It was no big deal. They were popular at that time and everyone, it seemed, liked to have a good old go on them. I recall some fun times myself.

But now I live in England and the hysteria associated with these boards is remarkable. I have known perfectly reasonable people here to become QUITE agitated when talk of The Board happens. I've been warned off and preached to by people who were adamant that the damned things are EVIL and DANGEROUS.

It's just an interesting observation on two peoples similar a cultural icon with two very different outlooks about it.

Re: bored boards

rexmundy said:
But now I live in England and the hysteria associated with these boards is remarkable. I have known perfectly reasonable people here to become QUITE agitated when talk of The Board happens. I've been warned off and preached to by people who were adamant that the damned things are EVIL and DANGEROUS.

I think if you expect something to be bad/evil then you are more likely to read anything bad or unlucky happening as caused by evil. And if there are no bad associations then nothing is probably what will happen. In your part of the world is ouija boards are not seen as bad then they will not attract it.

Maybe we bring our own expectations on ourselves through some way or means we do not yet understand

I work for a toy company, and I've just checked - Ouija boards are being manufactured/sold in the US, but the European branch of the company isn't selling them anywhere.
Presume the market research makes us Europeans more scared of them and they are not considered a suitable toy. Odd when you consider there tends to be more extreme Christian fundamentilism in the US.

my first ouija...

A few nights ago a visiting relative decided they had to 'do' one in my house...:rolleyes:

I didn't fancy the idea.
I'd always thought that, if something does try to communicate, there's no way of proving it to be 'old congenial Uncle Harry'. Might be an angsty young entity! A passing 'bad guy' who could latch onto our receptive state!

So I said I'd just write stuff down as it was spelt out. I even thought I might 'hinder' the glass, being a bit of a sceptic, you know, I might subconciously try and stop the glass from moving...

So we did it.
After a few false starts, 'someone' came through. Turns out to be my relative's 'future' child. (She's not got kids, yet). This future kid starts giving messages about lottery numbers. FFS! I mean, surely this wouldn't happen anyway cos it'd mess with your 'path'! I'm certain you ain't supposed to use yer psychic powers to win the lottery! (Yes, I know people do).

Then, the dead mum of another relative present comes through to say 'I never told you I loved you, sorry, but I do'. Which is more what I expected.

Then the dead husband of my landlady takes over to say he's hanging about in my house, waiting for his wife.

Then they persuade me to put my finger on the glass too.
I refuse, then give in (I was a bit spannered!).
I make sure I'm not putting any pressure on the glass. I scrutinise everyone else's fingers to try and see if they are exerting any force. Anyway, it moves. Turns out to be my 'spirit guide'...hmmm.
I said I don't want to ask any questions cos I don't want to know the future.(And my future is private to me ! I don't want my relatives hearing it!).

Then the spirit guide goes it's way and we start getting gobbledegook. And my short-lived interest in the thing evaporates!
See, it just seemed stereotypical to me. I think we got what we expected...

(When I wrote the first draft of this post I was struck by a sudden feeling of apprehension. The surge of adrenalin, the cold, the goosebumps, made me edit my last paragraph that took the pee a bit! I turned around and there was the piece of hardboard we'd used, leaning against the wall... I'm not gonna push my luck lol! Chicken eh?)

The BF has now moved into my house and his ouija board collection is mounted on an upstairs wall facing my bed. At his last house they faced his neighbour's direction and this bloke swore they were haunting him! :eek:

Nothing happening here yet, to my mild disappointment.

Back