• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
taras said:
I get the feeling this thread is about to be bumped with "A Ouija Warning", which is one of the best threads, ever.
Duly merged. :) (Thanks to P.Younger for providing the link.)

I live in the 'states and indeed throughout much of this country Ouija boards are still sold in toy stores. Here the boards are viewed as a game teenagers tend to play rather than adults.
Also, you can pick up a variety of Tarot decks at your local bookstore. I don't know if it's like that across the pond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evil spirits! How to get rid of them?

I don,t know if anyone else has heard this one, but a friend was once concerned that he had a shaddow of a cat in his house after using a board made by himself. He was also convinced that something had sunk it's teeth into his shoulder during a sesion with the board, although I saw now physical evidence for this.

He was informed by 'someone in the know' that if he shone a Mirror into every corner of the house where there was a shaddow he would trap the spirit(s) in the Mirror. He then had to cover it with a Black cloth without looking into it as the spirit would posess him, and then burry it in a deep dry place. If the Mirror was ever broken it would be released and could return for revenge!

Sounds silly.

Anyone have a fear of Mirrors?

I would love to hear some other solutions.:blah:

Ouija tales

Was interested to read that Americans don't seem to view ouija boards with teh same misgivings as Europeans. I'm English, and like to view myself as open-minded, but ouija boards freak me; I wouldn't consider participating. Obviously too much of a chicken!

This may be due to one of two things.

1) My dad, a keen amateur actor, once took part in a cheery little number called "Who Killed Santa Claus?", back in the late 70's. Early in the play the characters have to use a glass and alphabet cards as a ouija board. Several of my dad's fellow thespians refused to actually put their fingers on the glass after the first performance as they felt that something was trying to 'get through'. Being told this as an impressionable 7-year-old obviously got to me.

2) Some of my schoolfriends, aged 13, did some mucking about with a ouija board and freaked themselves, particularly over a spirit called Emily, who they claimed was haunting them for months afterwards. We sympathetic classmates took the mickey something chronic, but even so, their panic pierced deeply enough into my psyche to put me off!

after a few scary (probably due to an over active imagination) expirances with a ouija board as a teenager i felt like trying to do it again to see if it works.

none of my friends will do one, they always make excuses, and brave as i am for some reason i don't want to do it aone.

strange, eh?

origianally posted by Toffeenose brave as i am for some reason i don't want to do it aone.

From what I've heard, you're not supposed to do it alone. That's how you get yourself possesed. Didn't you ever see The Exorcist?

They were indeed sold in the 'games' departments of many major toy stores as late as the early 80's. My only vivd memory of the board we had as kids, was that the damn ( or is it 'damned'?) thing would never work for me, whereas, for my sisters, the little plastic thingy would virtually fly across the board. They were freaked, I was bored, opting for a far more exciting alternative to talking to dead guys - Star Wars figures! Okay, maybe it was cos' I was a pretty boring kid...

Ouiji Boards-What is happening?

Like many a youth messed around with Ouiji boards, was a real skeptic at first but it did seem that something was going on. Aware of all the trickster/psychic vampire theories, and was certainly not impressed with the so called personalities that the "entities"/"mind monsters" claimed they were but there did seem to be some force at work, as when someone was accused of pushing the glass, the accused would take thier fingers off, and only the skeptic would be left and still the glass would move around. Is the answer in auto suggestion or in the poltiegiest arena (i.e teenage angst). Never had any success with them since I left my teenage years....
Sure this subject has been discussed before, but has any scientiftic, pseudo or not been done?

Looking back on it now, a lot of wildly improbable things seemed possible when I was a teenager. A lot of them even happened!

Bump! Two lots of mysterious Ouija messages merged. :)

Will someone explain how they work???

Help with my query-how do they work

This thread keeps disappearing? Can we talk some Ouiji board ? Any current theories other than tales of completly freeked out youth? What is the process, i'm thinking subliminal/autosuggestive right now, and even that seems to span out into Sheldrake terrioritory-collective fields etc:confused:

Involuntary muscle spasms in the users? After all, one experiement I've heard with a Ouija board went something like

Name?
ARTHUR
How old were you when you died ?
Where did you live?
HERE
What year did you die?
How did you die?
MURDER MOST FOUL, AS IN THE BEST IT IS;)
What year were you born?
and either silence ensues, or sheer gobbledegook. The reason being, none of the sitters can remember what the original answers were, and even if they can, the answer takes some thinking about, so the board doesn't work.

Not that that would explain everything that's ever happened on a Ouija Board, I expect. After all, you are opening up a channel and it stands to reason that sometimes something eldritch is going to creep in and cause untold redecorating.

edit I have just remembered something else. A woman at work belongs to 'Phantom or Fraud' things; she's one of the resident sceptics. Anyway, they held a seance a couple of months ago, with the express purpose of proving how it's a fraud etc etc. Except, the planchette moved too quickly for anyone to be messing with it, the answers freaked them out, and even on the video of the event, their shock and fear is apparent, as is the fact that no-one is faking it. And these were people who really really don't believe in that kind of thing.

Thanks

Helen, Thanks for your reply-it encapsulates all my questions and experiences of the mysterious Ouiji board. All the skeptics I have known including myself have been blown away by the wierd goings on that really do seem to be happening. A chill went down my spine when you mentioned the openings of channels and the prospect of something eldritich coming thru!! I guess I'm trying to explain away something that deeply baffled me and I guess is the only really unexplained thing that has happened to me.

I was told by someone a lot wiser than me ( I was 14 ) that there is a fabric around/between our physical world and, for want of a better phrase, the spriit world, and that everytime a ouiji board/seance was done a pin prick is made in that fabric, the hole gets larger depending on the regularity etc On this fabric are psychic parasites which feed on angst, fear etc which can also confuse matters-this was a new and unique concept to me at the time, but after reading John Keel, Jaques Vallee, Sheldrake, Alan Moore, Pat Mills etc it all seemed to make sense, something odd could possibly be going on, and it wasn't auto suggestion, spasms......To be truthful even if it was I would still find it amazing....

I still wonder if the scientists have tried one under controlled/filmed circumstances.........

Like most things, the Ouija Board can be faked, can be psychological, and I expect there are occassions when it can be downright freaky. Which means that everyone is right, and everyone is wrong, which is probably fortean.;)

We had a babysitter when I was youngster who was intent on saving our little souls. She was a very devout Christian. We wanted to play with the Ouja Board and she said "no, it's wrong". We persisted and she said "Well, as long as you're going to do this bad thing, it might as well be with me." (So she could protect us maybe, I'm not sure.)

As an elementary school kid, I was terrified of dying at night (in a bombing of all things - this was the 70's). So when we got in touch with some spirit named xlux (or something like that) we were each allowed to ask one question and I asked it when I was going to die. The little pointer moved to 2, then 2 again. 22. I of course lived past that age, but I thought about it a lot that year and the years leading up to it. Why would my babysitter have chosen such a young age if she was moving it? Maybe my brother or sister were. In elementary school 22 seems really old enough for anyone. If you get any older, you start to look terrible and really lose touch :D. Maybe this xlux was just a terrible trickster with a nasty sense of humor, or maybe I died at that age in a parallel universe.

Do you suppose xlux was trying to say 2022? :eek:

I may have mentioned this before, but a good book on trickster spirits is 'Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts' by Joe Fisher. Scary stuff about vampiric spirits. Well worth looking up. And Colin Wilson apparently believes Fisher's death was caused by just such a vampiric spirit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a small part of the BF's collection, which some readers may remember was believed by the BF's neighbour to have caused his house to be haunted and his GF to leave him!

They are hung facing my bed now, but no spookiness has disturbed my sleep.;)

They've been at it again!

My relatives recently did one of their Ouija board sessions.
Turns out; In a past life I was a woman called Hannah Miller, wife of John, mother of twins Gordon and David. The twins were born in 1767.
Apparently, I had some horrible disease that I passed to my kids, so I poisoned them out of love, when they were two years old.
I was hanged.
I lived at 49, Whoking Street, Mumbles (?!) in Somerset.
My grave is at St. Peter's church in Tiverton, Devon.

This was a bit freaky, hearing all this (night before last).
Obviously I've done the obligitory 'Google' searches; there is such a church in Tiverton in Devon. (BUT, one of my relatives lives in Devon, so they could've heard of it).
Anyway, my relative has taken it upon herself to go to the church to see if it's true. See if 'my' grave is there.
And check out the Parish records at Tiverton Museum.

I'll take some convincing though!:rolleyes:

I've never, ever done a ouiji board and I never ever will..

This girl called Samantha and her friend were doing a Ouiji board with unfortunate circumstances..

They were sitting in Samantha's room, and the decided that it might be fun to do a Ouji board.. Anyway, as they were doing it, Samantha's friend heard her name being called from downstairs. So she went downstairs, and three minutes later, Samantha heard a scream. She went running downstairs to see what was going on, and her friend was lying on the floor.. Her head had been twisted right 'round.. And from this day forward, Samantha still swears she hears laughter coming from her living room..

*Shudders*

:splat:

REMEMBER!

Ouija boards can attract the wrong type of spirit..
Lost souls that lay in limbo are just waiting to come through..
So stick to the safe method..
DON'T DABBLE!! ;)

Re: REMEMBER!

shelli said:
Ouija boards can attract the wrong type of spirit..
Lost souls that lay in limbo are just waiting to come through..
So stick to the safe method..
DON'T DABBLE!! ;)

What is "the Safe Method"? :confused:

David Raven, are you aware that Tiverton has the second highest rate of inbreeding in Europe!:eek!!!!: Allegedly. Well, that's what I was told by the locals when I moved there-and not entirely in jest.

Also, it's quite a large town, so a church called St. Peters was pretty likely. Not to take away from what your relatives told you, but Tiv is well on the map around there. Not just a little village.

Apple Juice said:
David Raven, are you aware that Tiverton has the second highest rate of inbreeding in Europe!:eek!!!!: Allegedly. Well, that's what I was told by the locals when I moved there-and not entirely in jest.

Also, it's quite a large town, so a church called St. Peters was pretty likely. Not to take away from what your relatives told you, but Tiv is well on the map around there. Not just a little village.

Nope, I wasn't aware! Where's the highest incidence then?!

I think one of them has heard of the church before and it's stuck in their subconcious :D Only to reappear via the wandering glass on the Ouija board...

A friend of mine on several occasions claimed to have contacted a "spirit" on her ouija board that was barely literate and really hard to understand, anybody else had experiences with really dumb "spirits"? I think it's an interesting point to be raised, especially as all the people at the sessions were pretty bright.

I heard that the Isle Of Sheppey's got a pretty high inbreeding rate. And the town where I live has a few blatant inbreeds shambling around.

What is the safe method?

Unfortunately, there isn't one. Many clairvoyants and mediums warn us not to try the ouija board if we wish not to attract the wrong kind of spirit. The ouija board is a little like playing Russian Roulette.. You never know what you're going to get with it. Although the Ouija Board has been practiced for hundreds of years, I don't think I can recall one "good" experience from the many curious souls that have dabbled with it. Many have claimed bad things happening afterwards, some have claimed to sensing "evil", either towards them or people close to them, almost as if they have been jynxed. It would be interesting to hear from people who have had a good experience coming from it, though I personally think that the good experiences would be outnumbered by the bad ones.

Stick to the safe method-DON'T DABBLE!
;)

If Ouija boards work, how come they don't work with one person using them?

I believe it's mainly an effect caused by a group of people unconsciously moving a pointer. You probably have a dominant "driver" personality in the group, and then when the pointer starts moving, people naturally follow it causing the effect.

I would like to see it checked out in laboratory conditions.

eeerrrmmm, they do work with one person doing them!!! Depends if you're too scared to do them on your own!

Newport, Gwent? or Newport, Shropshire?:rolleyes:

Yup, there are peeps who just run their hands over a board to 'pick up' messages. No pointer or glass involved.
:eek:

I read this years ago in either 'The Door to the Future' or The Ghostof Flight 401'.

One of my cousins could 'do' the ouija on her own- quite scary to see.

Back