Ouija Experience

A

Anonymous

This is more or less copied from my post on another site but I wanted to share it with you guys - this happened in September 2004. I know the Ouija subject has been brought up before but not recently.

Just my parents, hubby Clive and me sat around the board, I was the 'spokesperson' and asked if anybody from the spirit world was present and if they had a message. Well it took quite a while for anything to happen but then following was spelt out in response to my questions.

Who is there - ELEANOR
Eleanor who - ELEANOR AQUITAINE
(At this point bear in mind Clive had not even heard of her, I vaguely remembered some history from school and had heard of her - my parents had heard of her but knew no details whatsoever)
What is your message for us - NOTHING IS CHEAP
Clive spoke up and said are you my spirit guide - YES !!!
(Clive doesn't know what made him ask this - he just did)
Do you have a message for Clive - TRUST A FRENCH SCHOLAR
Eleanor we need evidence it is really you - please give us some information about yourself, when did you pass over - 1402. Where are you buried - NORMANDY
Who were your children - JEAN CLAUDE - DEAD SON
RICHARD 1
(Long Pause at this point)
Eleanor are you still there - YES
1323 FIRE WESSEX ENGLAND RICHARD DELT REVENGE SARACENS
(47 AQUITAINE) FRANCE WILL BE KIND CLIVE - GOODBYE

We heard no more from Eleanor. Please bear in mind none of us knew the history of Eleanor until we checked up afterwards. She actually died in 1204 not 1402 (numbers just transposed?)She married Henry II and had several children including (one who died at birth), John (Jean?) and most famously Richard I (Lionheart). We did not know she was his mother! Now Richard did fight with the Saracens - and he did want revenge. Apparently there was a fire which destroyed an Abbey in Wessex around 1323 (don't quite understand a connection to Eleanor here). We didn't know what the 47 Aquitaine meant. But 47 is one of the numbered Departments of France, in Aquitaine! All this history had to be checked - none of knew anything about Eleanor of Aquitaine. We read up on her and found her to be one of the most powerful & longlived woman of her times. Could she really have visited us? Could she really be Clive's spirit guide?

Now whether we believe in being able to contact the dead through an Ouija board or not, this whole thing has us all fascinated. The point being none of us knew that history. Admittedly the date she died was wrong, but the planchette was moving so fast I believe I may have recorded the numbers incorrectly), everything else was spelt correctly too.

Btw, it also has to be borne in mind the relevance of Eleanor coming through for us at this time (we were looking to buy a second home in France) this made the message about France being kind all the more poignant.

I believe more than the ideomotor effect was at play here. Is it more likely to be some form ESP? My husband's knowledge of history is appalling and tbh if you told me E of A was around in 17 something I wouldn't have argued. My parents swear she was one person in history they didn't know much about. My Dad has his whole life been interested in all things paranormal (Fortean) but remains highly sceptical - he says perhaps one of us held a lot more history in their subconcious than they realised - what do you think? Some form of mind-reading - except of the subconcious mind. All four of us are in agreement on one thing, none of us knew the history of E of A and had we been questioned before, would not have been able to give that information.

Where I have posted about this before I seem to get little or no resonse, maybe the story comes across as being too good to be true. I would genuinely be interested to hear what people think.

GirlSeeksGhosts said:

I believe more than the ideomotor effect was at play here. Is it more likely to be some form ESP? My husband's knowledge of history is appalling and tbh if you told me E of A was around in 17 something I wouldn't have argued. My parents swear she was one person in history they didn't know much about. My Dad has his whole life been interested in all things paranormal (Fortean) but remains highly sceptical - he says perhaps one of us held a lot more history in their subconcious than they realised - what do you think? Some form of mind-reading - except of the subconcious mind. All four of us are in agreement on one thing, none of us knew the history of E of A and had we been questioned before, would not have been able to give that information.

Where I have posted about this before I seem to get little or no resonse, maybe the story comes across as being too good to be true. I would genuinely be interested to hear what people think.
Well, at least some members of the little circle had some knowledge of the character and history. The mind can play strange tricks, put several minds together, release the 'subconcious'parts from any sense of responsiblity, Freudian, Jungian, Adlerian, etc. and all sorts of strange effects are possible.

Strangely enough, I'd be curious to know where this was posted previously, any chance of a link? :)

A

Anonymous

Well this is as big an OH MY GOD as I have ever posted :D You see I posted about this in 3 or 4 paranormal sites. It happened a while ago now and cannot remember where I very first posted it. (I did save my original post in Word and freely admit to altering how I felt about what happened with each time I posted but certainly I did not alter what actually happened) BUT GET THIS lol I found where I posted not long after the event and just look at my view afterwards. I think it goes to show how shocked and in awe we really were at the time. I think it was shortly after this my own true perception of what happened kicked in and I became far more interested in ESP because of it. Here is the link to one of my posts - I feel quite :oops: but here goes

http://www.angryorcs.com/seekers/cgi-bi ... ;start=0#0

hokum6

Abominable Snowman
I'm sceptical because the person you allegedly contacted was so famous. Of all the billions of people that have ever died, you happened to get someone like that? If it had been a nobody who had supplied details of their life which you had verified then that would have been something, otherwise I'm in agreement with Pietros, the source was the subconscious knowledge of one of the people present.

A

Anonymous

No Hokum surely it doesn't matter which 'spirit' came through for us, if your argument is that it came from subconscious of one of those present. We laughed out loud when 'Eleanor' came through and we all say why on earth would she come through for us. Hence we soon realised that this needed backing up and we asked for 'proof' that it was her. Perhaps a lesser spirit person would not have known the detailed stuff that came through.

Anyway I believe my parents and my husband 100% as I have to :? Like me they insist they did not have the knowledge to begin with. But to be honest what are we left with .........??? It sure is a fascinating thing and although its left us with more questions I'm glad we experienced it :mrgreen:

GirlSeeksGhosts said:

Anyway I believe my parents and my husband 100% as I have to :? Like me they insist they did not have the knowledge to begin with. But to be honest what are we left with .........??? It sure is a fascinating thing and although its left us with more questions I'm glad we experienced it :mrgreen:
Apparently even the shade of Eleanor of Aquitaine didn't know everything:
Eleanor we need evidence it is really you - please give us some information about yourself, when did you pass over - 1402.
Not everybody was totally without knowledge of the character's history:
... I vaguely remembered some history from school and had heard of her - my parents had heard of her but knew no details whatsoever ...
The mind can store far more than it can consciously remember and Eleanor did seem quite fond of Clive. ;)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Eleanor of Aquitaine made the news when she was the answer of the first ever Who Wants to be a Millionaire? winner's question on British TV. This was before 2004, I'm sure, could one of you have read a report on that a couple of years before?

henry

still speeding
Hi Girlseeks...

Obviously I dont know any of the individuals involved, and am by no means making any character judgements, but when I read through this account earlier today my first thought was, well, maybe there was some doubts either yourself or your old man (ie partner) were having about the 2nd home in France. And that someone at the table was trying to offer a level of reassurance in going ahead and buying property out there.

I mean, it could have begun as a light-hearted kind of thing, but when they saw the effect this had on you ("shocked and in awe" you say) then they felt they couldnt own up.

Just an idea, from a human nature point of view.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for posting all your views, its what I wanted. But I still don't quite feel content to (a) think one of us knew the information on a subconcious level or (b) that any one of us may have manipulated anything that happened. Because of the very nature of this an anonymous forum it is indeed hard to get across the fact that my own limited knowledge of Eleanor consisted of her being a famous person from France from a long time ago :oops: Both my parents have thought very hard to try to dislodge some memories of the history they may have had about her, but to no avail. My dad is over 70 and when we started trying to use 'the board' he stressed that if ever for one moment one of us even contemplated pushing or manipulating anything for even one second, he wouldn't entertain doing it all. We all made a pledge that if nothing happened so be it and when you have sat sometimes for 3 or so hours with nothing happening or maybe just a few random letters, you better believe we have better things to do with our time :hah:

Yes, the date E of A died was wrong, annoyed us no end that! :lol:

Easy for me to say I know, but none of the four of us watch Who Wants to be a Millionaire :shock: Not to say we never caught a few moments or part of a show, but now that is one thing I never knew about the A of E question :shock:

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your views. Maybe on some form of unconcious level I want for someone to say - WOW you spoke with Eleanor of Aquitaine ;)

eris1369

Junior Acolyte
WOW you spoke with Eleanor of Aquitaine!!! ;)

So did she communicate in English, French or Latin? I'm assuming English...
That's another weird bit-would spirits automatically aquire a 'universal language' or something like that? I don't think Eleanor, or indeed, any of the English royalty at that time spoke much English. They were all Normans...

A

Anonymous

LOL @ eris - thanks for that :lol:

Yes 'Eleanor' spoke perfect English with exemplary spelling too! Actually, that did discount my o/h from being accused of pushing the planchette :mrgreen:

Joking aside, it doesn't negate the fact that something interesting did indeed occur, something more than manipulation/ideomotor effect or simple mind-reading. We were impressed and yes I guess were awe struck at the time!

glamour_dust

Devoted Cultist
Actually GirlSeeksGhosts I'm inclined to believe your experience and that something weird did happen. It simply rings true to me. From what you've said, it seems unlikely that any of the person's present could have unconsciously condensed so much knowledge about Eleanor to be able to supply the answers in the way they were given. In fact, the answers sound to me like they come from a personal standpoint, detached from the personalities present, and sometimes making little sense to the receivers. Frankly, I think it more likely that they came from outside your group. Have you thought of using the Ouija some more with the same people and documenting what happens?

henry

still speeding
Hi GSG - out of interest what happened with the 2nd home in France, did you get it? Was it cheap? Was there a French scholar involved?

Thinking about the language employed as Eris says, they probably wouldnt have spoken English and almost certainly not as we know it. I think between about 1100 and 1500 Middle English would have been used and while this has a lot of phonetic commonalities with modern English it is spelt quite differently.

Im sure others on here would know better than I (as my experience is limited to a reading of La Morte d'Arthur) but a word such as 'together' would have been written 'togydirs' at that time.

Im looking for a free online ME doctionary - cant find one.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Did you ever consider the possibility that it might have been someone in the 'spirit world' pulling your leg? When I pass over, I have every intention of announcing myself as being either Winston Churchill or Ghengis Khan to the Ouija dabblers of the world. (Well, I've got to do something to while away eternity.)

A

Anonymous

Hi Henry, yes we were lucky enough to find our little sweet cottage in Deux Sevres, cheap in the scheme of things, but not cheap to us! Well our notaire chappie was very good and spoke good English too but as to whether he was the French scholar we should be trusting is another matter.

'Eleanor' has come through the board on several occasions since then with short say three word sentences only, always little pearls of wisdom or completely random stuff about France. One message said, speak to Duval. Now you will be just as incredulous as we were when I tell you about two months after that message (bearing in mind we did not know any Duval connection and although it sounds like a common enough French name, there certainly isn't that many Duvals listed on the internet) We received a letter from our French Bank Credit Mutuel informing us of the new manager there - yes his name Christian Duval. I am quite happy to believe it was coincidence but it certainly gives you that spine chill feeling.

We did debate for some time regarding the language that was used but just decided there is no answer to it. Incidentally, we only speak a little French and certainly have little or no knowledge of Middle English.

glamour_dust - thank you for your comments. My honest answer I just don't know what to believe about it all and as you can see from the above, we have received further messages. I have kept notes of the times we have used the board. The last time we got together was 12th May and on checking the message that came through was:

YOU WILL FIND A SOLUTION / SELL / LET CLIVE WANT / DO VISIT THOUARS / CLIVE WANTS TO GET A CAR / LIN THIS REF

Obviously not quite so eloquent or accurate and you have to smile about the car bit, who wouldn't want a car. We have been to Thouars on many occasions, its our nearest town, so 'do visit Thouars' doesn't mean much either. As most at people at given time might have we had plenty of problems, some minor some not so, so 'you will find a solution' is a little ambiguous to say the least too.

I've no wish to keep going on about my own personal experiences, bore you all to tears lol. I have shared the main points with you all. If anyone is interested in hearing what little more there is please pm me.

:p at James :lol:

Sorry my posts are long, I'm a typist so can type as fast as I think and I get carried away sometimes :roll:

hokum6

Abominable Snowman
No Hokum surely it doesn't matter which 'spirit' came through for us,
I disagree. As I said, billions of dead people and you happen to contact a well known historical figure, who when questioned provides incorrect information in modern English.

Hence we soon realised that this needed backing up and we asked for 'proof' that it was her.
Yet the answer you got was an incorrect date of death. How is that proof?

I'm not attacking you personally, I'm just skeptical about this kind of thing and a story in which you contact someone famous who then provides the vaguest details as proof does nothing to change my position.

There is a story about someone who suddenly began speaking an ancient language, even though they claimed never to have heard of it before. Turns out they had been in a library once where someone was reading a book about this civilization and had subconsciously absorbed the information. This has been mentioned several times in FT. And then there's the many reports of people who begin spontaneously speaking another language or talking in an accent.

Let's apply Occams Razor here. What's more likely, that one of the group had once read something about Eleanor Aquitaine and for some reason their subconscious bought this up during the ouija session, or that you just happened to contact the spirit of a long-dead historical figure who tells you things like 'NOTHING IS CHEAP' ?

There is a story about someone who suddenly began speaking an ancient language, even though they claimed never to have heard of it before. Turns out they had been in a library once where someone was reading a book about this civilization and had subconsciously absorbed the information.
Although I agree with your last paragraph about the likelihood of the event happening, Hokum; I thought you should be careful about offering that story as 'proof' of the contrary.

I mean, that seems just as unlikely and difficult to prove as the theory of a long-dead historical figure speaking through the ouija board.

I'm sure this 'absorption' theory is still just that a theory. I doubt that kind of thing can be proved. For example, how could they possibly find out that on one day years ago, a stranger just happened to be reading a book about a certain civilization, that someone just happened to walk past and glance at and automatically suck up the information like a vaccuum?
How on earth could they have got this information. It must have just been offered as a theory. (One that interests me and has merit but is still not proof that spirits/ past lives don't also exist)

Just wanted to add my 2 cents :)

henry

still speeding
Well I think its a healthy starting point on IHTM to have a level of belief in what the original posters are relating. Thats probably not always deserved, but be that as it may.

The fact that the Ouija sessions went on to yield further information that could be applied to the sitters and their lives sheds a different light on this and largely discounts the thought I had on the matter, that there was a decision point GSG and/or her partner were at re:the big step of buying up property all over France, and someone at the table was giving a gentle push.

Can I ask how many sittings and over how long a period of time you were using the board?

I've no wish to keep going on about my own personal experiences, bore you all to tears lol. I have shared the main points with you all. If anyone is interested in hearing what little more there is please pm me.
GSG - post anything else that you think is related on this thread, thats where it belongs.

TheBoggart

Fresh Blood
eris1369 said:
So did she communicate in English, French or Latin? I'm assuming English...
That's another weird bit-would spirits automatically aquire a 'universal language' or something like that? I don't think Eleanor, or indeed, any of the English royalty at that time spoke much English. They were all Normans...
When I was 10 years old I spoke only in English, and did so with a strong northern accent. After thirty years of experience, my accent has more or less disappeared, due to living elsewhere for most of my life. Furthermore I can now speak French quite well.

Also, these days I use words and phrases etc, that did not exist when I was a kid.

Maybe Eleanor has continued to aquire new words/phrases and improved her language skills over the past 800 years too.

Why assume that Eleanor's mind-set was frozen at the point that she shuffled off this mortal coil? ;)

Good point Boggart - That's similar to what I was thinking but forgot to write.
What point would it be to communicate in old/middle english if the person you're trying to communicate with wouldn't understand?
If we are to believe in spirits, then we could also believe that speech and literacy skills of spirits are not limited to one life 800 years ago.

I, myself am sceptical of people claiming famous spirits or past lives but that doesn't mean that famous spirits wouldn't communicate with people just as regular spirits.

hokum6

Abominable Snowman
Although I agree with your last paragraph about the likelihood of the event happening, Hokum; I thought you should be careful about offering that story as 'proof' of the contrary.

I mean, that seems just as unlikely and difficult to prove as the theory of a long-dead historical figure speaking through the ouija board.

I'm sure this 'absorption' theory is still just that a theory. I doubt that kind of thing can be proved. For example, how could they possibly find out that on one day years ago, a stranger just happened to be reading a book about a certain civilization, that someone just happened to walk past and glance at and automatically suck up the information like a vaccuum?
How on earth could they have got this information. It must have just been offered as a theory. (One that interests me and has merit but is still not proof that spirits/ past lives don't also exist)

There are further details about the story in an issue of FT, though I can't remember which it might be.

It was merely an example however, I certainly never claimed it to be 'proof of the contrary' and I never stated that I believed it was the truth, just that it was an alternate theory.
Personally I find the idea that ouija sessions are influenced by the people involved to have more merit than contact with spirits, but I admit I have no proof that is correct. Either way, both ideas are interesting.

Hokum,

I certainly never claimed it to be 'proof of the contrary' and I never stated that I believed it was the truth, just that it was an alternate theory.
sorry it came across that way - it did sound directed at you but I actually meant people in general should be careful of using what is also just as strange an explanation (in this case absorbing an ancient language from a split second glance at a book - without proof of this having taken place) in attempt to 'debunk' any attempt at a paranormal explanation.
I said you, but I meant it in more of a general sense (ie the people who put forward this alternative theory in the first place)

I am familiar with the story and understand the point you were trying to make - again, sorry

A

Anonymous

Hokum thanks for saying its not a personal attack on me, I do not take it as such. You are quite rightly doubtful about the whole thing. I am too, its why have posted about it on more than one forum. I would also like it borne in mind that the planchette moved very quickly and very accurately and if I may take it that I am to be believed about us not having much information other than we had heard of A of E then I hope you understand that for any of us to have given such information so quickly, without hesitation, is interesting.

Quote:
Hence we soon realised that this needed backing up and we asked for 'proof' that it was her.
Yet the answer you got was an incorrect date of death. How is that proof?
I never at any point indicated this was proof of anything, I asked for 'Eleanor's' proof. The date given for her death was wrong, as I found out in my own research of her. The date given means nothing exept to say it was wrong!

rubberchick like you I think as regards the language used, it makes no difference does it. If we believe we were in contact with Eleanor of Aquitaine then anything else is surely possible. I can't get it across more clearly other than to say what happened, happened. Four family members, three of which had heard of this woman, one had not, are convinced we gained information, whether correct or incorrect, through some means other than being directly responsible. Oh dear, I am struggling with this, I hope you understand my/our standpoint.

Can I ask how many sittings and over how long a period of time you were using the board?
Probably only about 3 years ago. I lost my first 'transcriptions' which were usually just total random letters, with the occasional random name which meant nothing, with few questions being sensibly responded to. Eleanor put her first appearance in August/Sept 2004. It is something we have tried about once a month, if that. Sometimes absolutely nothing at all happens.

TommyK13

Devoted Cultist
Just want to add my 2 pence worth. I have never tried one of these boards or even been present when one is used - it scares me to be honest. However, I have a friend who is a bit of a sceptic. That's not to say that he doesn't believe in the paranormal, but he always looks for the scientific explanation - which to be fair I do myself. Anyway, he has used one of these boards on one occasion and the group apparently made contact with a spirit - the glass was certainly moving about and answering questions. My friend John started laughing and saying that people were moving it around and accusing people who he thought it was. Eventually the group got annoyed with John so they decided that whenever he accused someone of tilting the table that they would leave the circle. I know this is the typical story regarding this matter - when he got down to the last 2, him and a girl, he started to get a bit agitated. He realised that the glass was moving in directions that could only have been caused by him. However, he still refused to believe that something paranormal was going on and accused the remaining girl of causing the movement. She left and table and he was the only one left. The glass continued to move and spell things out. After a few seconds John jumped up and left the room in a hurry and ran all the way home. I heard this story from the girl that was the last to leave the table before John. When I have tried to talk to John about this occurrence he refuses to be drawn into the conversation. All he will say is that something (not him) was loving the glass and that he will never take part in anything like that again.

Not stone cold proof I know, but it was enough for me. I have never fancied taking part in anything like that and after seeing my friends reaction when I raised the incident it has made me even more resolute. I have known John for about 20 years now and he is the most honest guy I know. I have no reason to think that he would have been in on some kind of scam. This happened probably about 12 years ago. I havent tried asking him about it recently. I will have a word with him at the weekend when he has had a few beers and see if there is any chance of getting more info from him.

eris1369

Junior Acolyte
When I was 10 years old I spoke only in English, and did so with a strong northern accent. After thirty years of experience, my accent has more or less disappeared, due to living elsewhere for most of my life. Furthermore I can now speak French quite well.

Also, these days I use words and phrases etc, that did not exist when I was a kid.

Maybe Eleanor has continued to aquire new words/phrases and improved her language skills over the past 800 years too.

Why assume that Eleanor's mind-set was frozen at the point that she shuffled off this mortal coil?

That was sort of what I was getting at-if we assume that Eleanor actually is speaking to modern people, in a modern language, would that then imply that there is some sort of life/learning experience going on over there on the "other side", or perhaps that a "spirit" is automatically able to communicate in any language after death?

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
That's a very good point. Does "telepathic" communication (for want of a better term) have an indentifiable linguistic form, or does it bypass that part of the brain and communicate at a much deeper, unversal level?

James_H

And I like to roam the land
v. interesting question. Very often, when people do experiments of that nature, they try to project images or impressions rather than linguistic constructions, although there's no "proof" that that works any better, and the parapsychologists may be working on as many suppositions as anyone else.

BIg_Slim

Junior Acolyte
GAH! :x i've said this before and i'll say it again,
This ouija stuff is NOT a game you are potentialy contacting beings from another realm who are known to lie about who they are and prey on people to gain access to this realm.
Read up on it please people and stop toying with things you dont understand. :(

A

Anonymous

BIg_Slim - What don't I understand? I have done masses of reading up on it and research. I have posted about it on several forums and got many different views. I choose to believe based upon many years of reading and research that no harm comes to people because they tried playing what was (is) essentially a game. If we choose to believe in spirits/demons then I am of the opinion that if they are of a mind to harm then they have the ability to come through without the use of a piece of cardboard with letters on. Also, I have spoken to 'mediums' on the subject and their contrasting views were very interesting to the say the least. Some congratulating us on being so successful, some warning of demonic possession and some with blatently disbelieving faces, nodding politely.

I have come to the conclusion that it is essential one is of sound mind, is not taken to depressive or suicidal thoughts, has a relatively settled, happy home life, and generally not easily frightened or 'fragile'. If any of these things apply then indeed because of the state of a person's mind, and how much they rely on what comes through on 'the board' then that is the part that potentially causes problems.

Now as stated, I choose to question what it is that is happening. I am open minded and would love to believe that we spoke to Eleanor of Aquitaine. At the moment all I can say is what a very positive, interesting and truely thought-provoking experience it has been for us.

I thank you for your view and this is my view.