Ouija Experience

Dingo667

I'm strange but true.
GirlSeeksGhosts said:
BIg_Slim - What don't I understand? I have done masses of reading up on it and research. I have posted about it on several forums and got many different views. I choose to believe based upon many years of reading and research that no harm comes to people because they tried playing what was (is) essentially a game. If we choose to believe in spirits/demons then I am of the opinion that if they are of a mind to harm then they have the ability to come through without the use of a piece of cardboard with letters on. Also, I have spoken to 'mediums' on the subject and their contrasting views were very interesting to the say the least. Some congratulating us on being so successful, some warning of demonic possession and some with blatently disbelieving faces, nodding politely.

I have come to the conclusion that it is essential one is of sound mind, is not taken to depressive or suicidal thoughts, has a relatively settled, happy home life, and generally not easily frightened or 'fragile'. If any of these things apply then indeed because of the state of a person's mind, and how much they rely on what comes through on 'the board' then that is the part that potentially causes problems.

Now as stated, I choose to question what it is that is happening. I am open minded and would love to believe that we spoke to Eleanor of Aquitaine. At the moment all I can say is what a very positive, interesting and truely thought-provoking experience it has been for us.

I thank you for your view and this is my view.

I have done many sittings, with results varying from nothing, to hours of communication. Some were nice, some were hostile [glass moving too fast or off the table etc, strange dreams afterwards, one satanic voice talking etc]. However whatever the reason for success, I agree with GirlSG that if you are of sound mind you have nothing to fear. I generally treat "them" like you would a very clever animal, with due respect but when its finished we can take it easy. I even make up my own "closing rituals" when need be and all worked fine. If you dwell on any threats etc, and are easily worried you shouldn't do it for obvious reasons. However lets not be too patronising towards people who don't have these problems. I am of the same opinion as GSG but have also more than 30 years of paranormal/occult/spiritual/ experience. What are you gonna do, tell me not to mess with things?
I say "go!" GirlSG, you've got it sussed!

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
BIg_Slim said:
GAH! :x i've said this before and i'll say it again,
This ouija stuff is NOT a game you are potentialy contacting beings from another realm who are known to lie about who they are and prey on people to gain access to this realm.
Read up on it please people and stop toying with things you dont understand. :(
A reasonable general warning, certainly, but with respect I'd say most people on here are aware of any potential risk.

And how much of it does any one of us understand? Experimentation and experience is a good route to deeper understanding, with the caveat that if you have any doubts or uncertainties, don't go there in the first place.

Agree with GSG and Dingo - if you're of a solid mental constitution, and you do your homework first, there's nothing to fear. Be aware of, and respect, yes, but not fear.

A

Anonymous

TommyK13 - thank you for posting your story. I would like to hear if John is prepared to say anymore about what happened.

Thank you to H-James, stuneville and Dingo667 - really interesting points well made and thanks to anyone else who posted, the whole thread has given me yet more insight as to what may be happening and I really appreciate people sharing their thoughts about it.

"Explore the mysteries of mental telepathy and the subconscious with this time tested favorite" and "with reasonable patience and judgment it will satisfy your greatest expectations" (William Fuld Talking Board set 1972) :hmm: :spinning

BIg_Slim

Junior Acolyte
OK, first i would like to say sorry about comming over all knowing and all like i was the expert on this.
My experiances and people i have talked to experiances,
were mostly the same IE an evil enitity claiming to be someone else,
and lo and behold the deatails are always wrong... i mean dates etc.
if you are happy with doing this go ahead, just always be dubious about
who the entity says it is.
and again sorry people about loosing my cool over this subject.
I just DONT want to go through that again. PEACE

TommyK13

Devoted Cultist
GirlSeeksGhosts said:
TommyK13 - thank you for posting your story. I would like to hear if John is prepared to say anymore about what happened.

Thank you to H-James, stuneville and Dingo667 - really interesting points well made and thanks to anyone else who posted, the whole thread has given me yet more insight as to what may be happening and I really appreciate people sharing their thoughts about it.

"Explore the mysteries of mental telepathy and the subconscious with this time tested favorite" and "with reasonable patience and judgment it will satisfy your greatest expectations" (William Fuld Talking Board set 1972) :hmm: :spinning
I will ask him the next time I see him and he has had a few beers. I actually saw him last night (and he had had a few beers) but I totally forgot to bring the subject up. We are both going to a Christening on Sunday so will probably get the chance then. Although I will make sure I ask him after the Christening has finished and we have moved on into town for a few beers. Probably a bit disrespectful asking about this kind of thing in a Church/at the reception afterwards.

markbellis

Abominable Snowman
GirlSeeksGhosts said:
Who is there - ELEANOR
Eleanor who - ELEANOR AQUITAINE information about yourself, when did you pass over - 1402. Where are you buried - NORMANDY
Who were your children - JEAN CLAUDE - DEAD SON
RICHARD 1
(Long Pause at this point)
Eleanor are you still there - YES
1323 FIRE WESSEX ENGLAND RICHARD DELT REVENGE SARACENS
(47 AQUITAINE) FRANCE WILL BE KIND CLIVE - GOODBYE
OK, let's look at the historical facts - Eleanor died and is buried in Anjou, not Normandy. (There's a very nice statue of her on her tomb in Fontevraud abbey) She had 10 children, one name John, or Jean in French, but not Jean Claude, a rather modern sounding French compound first name.
"Richard 1" is the name historians gave him - he would have only been known as Richard to Eleanor. Her native language was Occitan, and her name was written Alienor in that language. In England she would have spoken Anglo-norman. One might imagine that a disembodied spirit could learn idiomatic modern British English, but can you really believe she forgot what her son was called and when and where she died?
As long ago as the mid-19th century, experiments have shown that participants in things like Ouija boards are moving the board themselves,
see:
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel ... motor.html -

You could make a device such as Michael Faraday did that would show that someone is giving "Eleanor" a little help in sending you messages!

I suggest giving a good swift kick in the shins under the seance table!

Best,

Mark

Prof_Pretorius

Devoted Cultist
Quoth markbellis
experiments have shown that participants in things like Ouija boards are moving the board themselves

Harrrummpphhh, I suppose next you'll be telling us that UFO's aren't really piloted by extraterrestials !!!!

Really !!! The very idea !!!

A

Anonymous

Mark - at the risk of sounding contradictive, I have moved on slightly from worrying about the accuracy of the information given and am more interested as to how any type of information is given whether incorrect or correct. It also strikes me that if I were going pretend to be Eleanor coming through I would at least get one very basic fact correct ie date of death, or place of burial, or that I had lots of children. If Eleanor was speaking to us some nearly 800 years later I guess she may have found out that her son historically became Richard I. The whole thrust of my point in posting is to say that no-one pushed the planchette (maybe ideomotor effect?? I dont know). We couldn't have made this information up as we didn't really have much of a clue about her anyway. It simply is a case of you choosing not to trust what I have said and you have every right, I don't believe everything I read ;) But I repeat I have never said it was E or A speaking to us. We still do not know how that information was given. If you have read carefully all I had to say on the matter we undertake the whole thing very seriously, we have wasted many hours with nothing coming through at all. My parents, my hubby and myself are really rather past playing silly games on one another too.

:p @ Prof_Pretorius :lol:

BIg_Slim

Junior Acolyte
ouija

Again apologies GirlSeeksGhosts,
you seem level headed and clued up on this matter.
my initial responce was to what we would refer to as (noobs)
who would just rush in and make a complete arse of the whole thing.
i still say its not a toy tho :O.
It messed up my life a fair bit.
BUT that was in conjuntion with a black magic spell cast on me and my brother when we were kids by our cousins as a game. (that was kids playing about too).
Theese things are not to be toyed with.

markbellis

Abominable Snowman
The facts related are not disputed, but the interpretations are!

Firstly, note that the only correct information given - that Eleanor had a son named Richard - could be learned just from watching popular shows on TV - saying that she died in Normandy is a good guess, but not the right one, indicating that the "entity" giving the info had the sort of knowledge about history one would expect from the average resident of the British Isles, but not from the former Queen of England herself.

Now, the other three participants have told you they had no prior knowledge of the facts related. That may be, but since the story of Robin Hood and other stories which features all the named characters is so widely spread in popular culture I think it unlikely!

They said they did not push the planchette, but if you look at the link provided above, Michael Faraday said the mediums he investigated were "very honorable", but he still demonstrated they were the ones doing the pushing.

One of the things that makes me wonder is that if no one is pushing the planchette, why do you have to touch it and look at the board to make it work? James Randi and Penn and Teller have done experiments where blindfolded ouija boarders have been unable to produce any messages.

In order to show that no one is pushing the planchette, you would have to do what Faraday did with his cards or at least do a blindfold test - you'd have to make sure no one does what's called a "nose peek".

A

Anonymous

BIg_Slim - Me, level-headed :lol: I guess over the past couple of years a lot of people have warned me of the potential dangers of using a Ouija and I do get cross (quite wrongly) when people have automatically assumed I do not know or realise what may or may not happen.

Mark - I have read about trying the board blindfolded - we have not tried it but the next time we get together we will and, as is my nature, I will truthfully report as to how we get on, or not, as the case may be. Since nothing happens sometimes anyway, or we only get random letters not making sense, I guess the experiment will need to be carried out several times.

Out of interest I at first thought how bad it is our knowledge of history didn't include anything much re E of A. But I feel better now I have realised there are plenty of people around who have never even heard of her :eek: As for comparing someone like Robin Hood, certainly everyone I know would have heard of him but I do fully understand the point you making.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
markbellis said:
Her native language was Occitan, and her name was written Alienor in that language. In England she would have spoken Anglo-norman. One might imagine that a disembodied spirit could learn idiomatic modern British English...
Hence the question I asked on the previous page, to wit:
stuneville said:
That's a very good point. Does "telepathic" communication (for want of a better term) have an indentifiable linguistic form, or does it bypass that part of the brain and communicate at a much deeper, unversal level?
markbellis said:
... but can you really believe she forgot what her son was called and when and where she died?
Which is an entirely reasonable question :).

A

Anonymous

stuneville - I believe that if the spirit of Eleanor of Aquitaine came through and passed on information to us - what is there to say that our own influence didn't tarnish this information. I mean to say if the spirit did her best to influence the way the planchette moved but our own senses and ideas (bias) were trying to kick in subconsciously albeit with the wrong info. I don't know, can't wait to report again.

Anyway, I must again thank each and everyone of you for posting and helping me to understand what may or may not be going on.

markbellis

Abominable Snowman
GirlSeeksGhosts said:
As for comparing someone like Robin Hood, certainly everyone I know would have heard of him but I do fully understand the point you making.
The thing is, Eleanor, John, and Richard all appear in popular adaptions of the Robin Hood legend, so if you've heard of Robin Hood, there's a good chance of knowing about Eleanor. As another poster noted, she was also played by Katherine Hepburn in a movie, and has appeared in numerous works of popular fiction, as well as documentaries.

A

Anonymous

Mark, I really do get the point you are making but I can only speak personally, the four of us are agreed that we had no 'conscious' knowledge of E of A. Now, I imagine that masses and masses of info is picked up on a subliminal level, so may be you are right. But I repeat, had there been a big money prize to the information that was given (whether correct or not) none of us could have 'pulled on' that information. We could have hazard a guess but even then having discussed it in great detail, none of our guesses would have been anywhere near.

TommyK13

Devoted Cultist
Well I spoke to my friend John yesterday about his experience when he was younger and his approach to the incident has changed completely. He said that in his opinion there was nothing strange going on - he said that there was certainly one person moving the glass and probably more. When I asked him to explain how it carried on moving when everyone else had dropped out he said that it never happened. He said that when they got down to the last 2 people nothing else happened and then he left and went home. His version is totally different to the one I was given by a girl who was present. When the actual incident took place he told me that something was moving the glass other than him and that was all he would say. I don't know how to explain the change in his story - maybe he just changed it in his mind as a defence mechanism. Maybe the girl I spoke to was bullshitting and nothing really happened - perhaps I have gotten myself confused and really John told me that nothing paranormal actually happened? I don't know. I must say I was disappointed at his response - I was hoping for something more substantial.

Dingo667

I'm strange but true.
There is a thread here somewhere were false memories are discussed. Would have a look but am at work again and haven't got enough time. Where people remember how something happened and they are 100% sure, just to find that others have either changed their mind or remember the whole thing differently.
It could be that because you are more interested in this, you remembered it the way it was, whereas the friend has meanwhile changed his memory to fit in more with his opinion. He might not have done this deliberately but subconsciously so that he thinks he was "rational" all along, whilst you remember that he wasn't!

TommyK13

Devoted Cultist
Dingo667 said:
There is a thread here somewhere were false memories are discussed. Would have a look but am at work again and haven't got enough time. Where people remember how something happened and they are 100% sure, just to find that others have either changed their mind or remember the whole thing differently.
It could be that because you are more interested in this, you remembered it the way it was, whereas the friend has meanwhile changed his memory to fit in more with his opinion. He might not have done this deliberately but subconsciously so that he thinks he was "rational" all along, whilst you remember that he wasn't!
I know what you are saying regarding false memories. I have one that I still find it difficult to believe is not real. I have two older brothers and I have heard them both tell a story of an incident that happened when we were kids so many times that I have convinced myself that I was there. In my minds eye I can see exactly what happened and even see the faces of two strangers that were involved in the incident. Yet my two brothers assure me that I was not there when it happened. They are so adamant that I was not there that I have to believe them. But I still have the memory as clear as day.

henry

still speeding
TommyK13 said:
...He said that in his opinion there was nothing strange going on - he said that there was certainly one person moving the glass and probably more.
Not to decry what the original poster is describing, but the only occasion I was involved in an Ouija session, even though I was there in ernest the other two other particpants were moving the glass. It was fairly crummy of them but that was what they were like.

However, there followed (not during the session, but immediately after) a paranormal encounter that I experienced and they did not, which, when the time is right, Ill recount here.

I cant help but think that there is artifice at the heart of most Ouija sessions, but having said that, I feel from my experiences that ghosts, spirits, whatever, hauntings, do happen.

BIg_Slim

Junior Acolyte
GAH! people DONT play about with them boards PLEASE,
what you can unleash is nasty nasty nasty :evil:

ArthurASCII

Justified & Ancient
BIg_Slim said:
In your humble opinion surely?

The Ouija board was once a popular and widely sold parlour game.

Any danger IMHO stems from the susceptibility of users.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
True, Arthur, but only people who are susceptible are likely to use them! ;)

We had a lot of fun with them years ago but I don't think our little group was actually contacting the dead. Something much more dark and complicated was going on. I wouldn't do it again.

AsamiYamazaki

Ephemeral Spectre
When some friends and I mucked about with a board years ago, I was totally moving the glass (nope I never confessed). At the same time, I don't know where half the stuff I was spelling out came from, and there were enough weird bangs and knocks in my bedroom afterwards to teach me a lesson (even if it was only my susceptible guilty conscience manifesting ;))

A

Anonymous

escargot1 said:
True, Arthur, but only people who are susceptible are likely to use them!
Glad you added that little winking smilie, I mean you might as well have added gullible too :lol: I am neither susceptible or gullible and to be quite honest just find the whole thing fascinating, whatever is actually going on.

As already said ArthurASCII is right it does depend on susceptibility and vulnerability of the people using the board. I being totally unphased and of sound mind will continue in my endeavours to find out what is going on when we use 'the board' :shock:

Redhead666

Devoted Cultist
Last year in another Ouija thread on here, I mentioned how myself, family, and friends have gotten the Ouija board out from time time and had some unexplainable messages comes through, but also lots of nonsense too.

Also, last year, I did a blindfold test to see what happens when the users can't see the letters on the board. Not one coherent word was spelled out...it was all gibberish. While I am not saying the Ouija board does or does not contact the dead ( I can't say for sure) I can tell you that it will not spell understandable words if you cannot actually see the letters. Try it.

MajorCanis

Fresh Blood
Erm...

Not really sure of what I'm saying here, but the entities being contacted seem to need a physical connection to the glass through the participating members fingers in order to move the glass. Perhaps they also need to see the board through the participants eyes to know which letters to move to?

Maybe?

:?

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
Make of this what you want folks, but I had a really scary experience with a ouija board when in my teens.I still see it as a paranormal experience and not a telekinetic joint mind power type deal.Although anything is possible. I was 16, the age when people usually try daft things and there was about 12 to 14 teenagers there{after youth club}.We "contacted" 3 spirits. One teenager who apparently drowned,and old man{who we lost contact with} and a little boy who also drowned. The scariest part {and there were many}was I knew of the little boy and his family but nobody else in the room did. I didn't touch the board all night and didn't really want a part of it, but I couldn't help but be transfixed with it all. At one point when conversing with the boy, the there teenagers touching the pointer lost their grip and it moved itself. I shit you not.The boy became confused when being asked questions which I thought he would know{ie his brothers age etc}The teenagers on the pointer became really scared and asked him to say goodbye. He then asked if he could stay. I think every teenager in the room sychronised shitting their pants at that point. They asked him to please go and he went to goodbye. We were all terrified. I don't think about it much now but at the time it really scared me. Did I see evidence of the other side ?was some how all our minds moving it?I don't think so but it's possible.what scares me the most is I don't think the spirit was the little boy I think it was something pretending to be him, which shits right up.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
This and similar posts make me wonder why Ouija boards in particular are associated with great spiritual danger from nasty sprites and demonic imps.
What is supposed to make Ouija boards dangerous, if tuning into dreams, guardian angels, and intuitions are not considered so?

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
What is supposed to make Ouija boards dangerous,
I recall reading somewhere (ETA here!) - maybe even on here - that the Ouija board was regarded as harmless family entertainment for a couple of decades, and it was in fact Parkers' (or some other game manufacturers') best-selling game for a while: it apparently outsold Monopoly in the 1960s. Then it featured in the Exorcist, and that film appearance was enough to ruin the board's reputation as wholesome family fun, although this led to an alternative market... Conversely, are there any tales of ouija-related weirdness (by which I mean beyond the board/planchette interplay) that predate the movie?

Last edited: