Ouija Experience

GerdaWordyer

Abominable Snowman
"Krepostnoi,"]I recall reading somewhere (ETA here!) - maybe even on here - that the Ouija board was regarded as harmless family entertainment for a couple of decades, and it was in fact Parkers' (or some other game manufacturers') best-selling game for a while: it apparently outsold Monopoly in the 1960s. Then it featured in the Exorcist, and that film appearance was enough to ruin the board's reputation as wholesome family fun, ]
It was harmless family entertainment for decades before "The Exorcist" and before frightened fundie Christians got oh so worried. Most 40's, 50's, 60's, and early 70's kids played with one. Our much older cousins gave our family their forties version of the board in the 50's, a Hasko Mystic Board. We mostly used it as a lap desk--my mom found it the right size to deal solitaire on, but in the early 70's a teen friend and I tried it a few times and got nothing, or got replies that we would marry our favorite pop stars. Pretty sure she moved the pointer to get that she would marry Ray Thomas of the Moody Blues. After that it was pretty ignored until I hung it over our kitchen table in order to admire the fine graphics of our collectible. The tiniest touch of weirdness might be that I, not my friend, married a fellow whose first name is Ray and whose middle name is Thomas. He hates pop music, though, and I still think she was moving the planchette.
Found this online, a healthier specimen of our pretty but sadly damaged collectible:

Attachments

Monstrosa

Justified & Ancient
I believe that "bad things" started happening to people almost from the start of production.

henry

still speeding
... of people, or of the board game ?

i think its all shenanigans and allows parlour tricksters to perform for a gullible audience ... as the sorely missed @markbellis pointed out :
One of the things that makes me wonder is that if no one is pushing the planchette, why do you have to touch it and look at the board to make it work? James Randi and Penn and Teller have done experiments where blindfolded ouija boarders have been unable to produce any messages.

In order to show that no one is pushing the planchette, you would have to do what Faraday did with his cards or at least do a blindfold test - you'd have to make sure no one does what's called a "nose peek".

Iris

Justified & Ancient
On the one occasion I used one with neighbours I tried mentally to spell out the boy's name we had decided to use if the child I was carrying was male.
When we each touched the glass it was like an electric current ran down my arm and it spelled out the name we had chosen if the child was a girl. None of the neighbours knew the names we had chosen.
The neighbour's Siamese cat started running round wailing and as no other messages were forthcoming we stopped.
That night I felt as if something was sitting on my chest so decided not to do it again.
Later I read about people having unpleasant experiences so have never used it again.
Some of the neighbours continued using it but became afraid after getting unpleasant messages and all of them later divorced although I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
My mother had 3 girls and her 2 sisters had boys, I had 3 girls and my sisters had boys, my eldest has girls and my youngest has a boy.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
A mate of mine insists that the ouija board is a load of rubbish. Later I asked him if he wanted to have a go with one and he flatly refused to do so. When I asked why he said "I'm not taking any chances". That, to my perception, seems to be quite a common feeling amongst people.

Most instances, I suspect, are caused by the board users. But regarding PSI and such like, it may be a more complicated issue than just unintentional fraud.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
A mate of mine insists that the ouija board is a load of rubbish. Later I asked him if he wanted to have a go with one and he flatly refused to do so. When I asked why he said "I'm not taking any chances". That, to my perception, seems to be quite a common feeling amongst people.

Most instances, I suspect, are caused by the board users. But regarding PSI and such like, it may be a more complicated issue than just unintentional fraud.
I have had goes with ouija boards and seen all sorts of mad stuff. Wouldn't do it again, not because I believe or don't believe in it but because it's just trouble. I won't be drawn into it again.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Having just finished the book 'The Trickster & The Paranormal' it really fits into society in general disliking the blurring of boundaries. Hence the reaction of "its a load of rubbish" while being nervous enough not to give it a go. Just what are you frightened of then Mr Skeptic?

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Not ouija but similar - as a youth, with my mate John, my sister, & Sally from down the road, used Lexington cards [remember them?] spread in a circle on a polished table top & upturned wine glass. It was sometime after our dad died, although I don't think we were expecting anything because of that.

We definitely got movement & all I can say is it wasn't me. At one point we asked if there was a message for anyone present. It spelt out John. There was some trepidation & I was relieved the message wasn't for me, as probably were the others. The message was something like 'don't forget the books' - totally mundane but something of a relief.

Tried it decades later with another mate, just the 2 of us, & nothing happened. I think there has to be more than 2 present - if it's not me then it's you. Plus we were both sceptical bastards.

What's the set-up with a ouija - do you rest a finger on the pointer or what?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Having just finished the book 'The Trickster & The Paranormal' it really fits into society in general disliking the blurring of boundaries. Hence the reaction of "its a load of rubbish" while being nervous enough not to give it a go. Just what are you frightened of then Mr Skeptic?
Do you mean me?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I have had goes with ouija boards and seen all sorts of mad stuff. Wouldn't do it again, not because I believe or don't believe in it but because it's just trouble. I won't be drawn into it again.
The only time I've done anything close to a Ouija board was when my big Sister made a rudimentary one when we were little kids in the 70's .. she drew numbers and letters in a circle and asked the questions with us both putting a finger on a 2 pence coin. The board spelled out Hitler and Harriet (Harriet was her hamster who had died) .. no idea how a hamster would know how to spell its name .. my Sister was a prankster who pretty much got me into all things Fortean and weird so I forgive her .. she once convinced me she could fart the national anthem and later told me she'd just been snapping her pant elastic instead.

I've met a few people telling me not to try Ouija boards including my Dad who warned me off them, a school teacher of mine and others. I can still remember seeing them for sale in the kids toys sections in some shops.

Lizard King

Devoted Cultist
I have recalled my ouija experience on another thread. It was terrifying and something I'm still not comfortable talking about today. I don't think it was spirits of deceased people,but other entities pretending to be them. It's not to be meddled with, seriously no matter how experienced people are in mediumship or the like.

Lizard King

Devoted Cultist
I've flat out refused to be anything to do with Ouija boards during a ghost invest to my team, they know and are respectful about where I stand on that. We had someone want to join us once on an invest who was also trying to sell Ouija boards through us and I refused him.
A really strange story involving a medium and my step sister in law Jane{if there is such a family position exsists}. Jane's father died and she was naturally heartbroken..She tried various mediums to try and contact him without success. My sister went to a medium,a private sitting, and was told to pass on a message to Jane from her father. He relayed that he was better and regretted that he died when she was abroad, but they would see each other again etc.He then said that under no circumstances should she ever try to contact him again using a ouija board because it was dangerous and would not be him she contacted. My sister obviously shocked relayed the story to Jane. Jane was very emotional but also horrified as she admitted she had tried to contact her father via the board. The story is pretty crazy on several levels.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
People might be nervous of looking like a gullible idiot, for a start! I wouldn't do it again, not because of whether I believe in it or not but more from a feeling that I'd rather not be around people who were up for it.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
I'd not try it! If there is a message from the 'unseen' realms for me then I'd rather get it direct and not have to go to the trouble of gathering a group of friends ........ 'sides I'd be worried about what may come popping up, unbidden, from my own subconscious. :hide:

Sollywos x

Lizard King

Devoted Cultist
I know what I witnessed all those years ago and the effect it had on all involved.Whether it be spirits, demons or collective mind power, it was pretty astonishing!I get the whole mind collectively producing a spirit or energy, but for 12 teenagers to get 3 active "hits" first time with little concentration, needs major explaining. 12 teenagers have a lot of energy, granted but something paranormal took place in my experience, I am sure of that. I would even relent that in situations like the one I was in,one of the three people that had fingers on the pointer could have led the other two.But seeing the pointer move so fast that their fingers came off and it moved on it's own, can't in my mind be proved by science alone.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I have recalled my ouija experience on another thread. It was terrifying and something I'm still not comfortable talking about today. I don't think it was spirits of deceased people,but other entities pretending to be them. It's not to be meddled with, seriously no matter how experienced people are in mediumship or the like.
Can you remember where this post is?

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Even from early childhood i was aware that even those adults dismissive of superstition, mumbo jumbo and irrational claims nontheless made an exception for the dangers of using the ouija board. The idea it would do harm or drive you nuts or whatever was at least implied, if not unspecified dark forces being unleashed on the foolish experimenter. And countless "true life" haunting or poltergeist accounts involve claims it started with playing with a ouija board. It always put me off. I still wouldn't risk getting one.

Yet the only time ive actually used one was about 3 years ago during a ghost vigil thing i reported on here. And you can't extrapolate from one person's experience to say anything about everyone else, but what i witnessed was very much ideomotor, active pushing, and a lot of wishful thinking. The board mispelled clear words when one particular chubby girl - whose finger i could see bent and applying pressure - was one of the participants, and complete gibberish when there was a change around and she was absent from the exercise. The messages and the direction of the narrative were filled in by the enthusiastic collective guessing of the group as to where this was going. Which formed a very silly story of tragedy and incest which made no sense whatsoever. When the heavy fingered lass was replaced the planchette still moved but the letters formed no intelligible words...leading the enthusiasts to declare the odd combination of consonants might be Welsh.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Esoterica
The Ouija Board, I think it is
Not any more ... It's been moved from the Ouija Board thread (about the board) to this thread (Ouija Experience - about experiences with the board).

The post is dated June 25th of this year, and it's currently post #58 in this thread.

brownmane

Ephemeral Spectre
Having just finished the book 'The Trickster & The Paranormal' it really fits into society in general disliking the blurring of boundaries.
Interesting comment. I have found that when I am contemplating a new idea that goes against my core beliefs, that I feel physically unwell. Some of my core beliefs have changed when I have investigated a new idea, but I definitely need the time to adjust.

I had a board when I was a teen. No one in my family were interested in it, so I did a lot on my own. I swear the planchette moved on its own, but other than yes or no, it made no sense.