• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Experiences With The Ouija Board (IHTM)

I would have thought it was the intention to communicate with ghosts rather than the physical board itself which was the doorway to 'the other side' (whatever that may be). Historically speaking, people from all cultures - from Native American shamans to medieval alchemists to Victorian mediums - have indulged in lengthy and often elaborately formalised rituals when seeking to raise spirits. I very much doubt that the spirits can only break into our world if a particular set of words is spoken, or a particular coloured candle lit at just the right time - but they may well depend on us whipping ourselves up into an altered form of consciousness before we can become aware of them (or, in the case of tulpas, create them).

again6 wrote
Where the sub/super-conscious gets the information is something else again.

my thought is................
i would like to think that it comes from the "collective consciousnes"

Tried the ouija board a couple of times, back when I was a kid. Could never get the damned (no pun intended) thing to work for me. For my sisters, however, it was another story, as the little plastic thingy would literally fly across the board in answer to their questions.

I dunno. I like to think of myself as a person with a relatively ''scientific'' worldview. However, in matters such as these, I find myself taking heed of what a number of representatives from various spiritual affiliations have told me as regards the subject, and it boils down to, basically, ''Don't f*** around with it. You don't know what you're messing with,'' if I may paraphrase.

In any case, whatever the truth of the matter, as one is unaware of who or what exactly is sending you these messages from The Other Side, I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and not muck with the thing at all.

really the only experience ive ever had with a board is in highschool when we asked it (after several fruitless rounds of 'real' questions) What the Devil's favorite breakfast ceral was.

It answered K I X.

I dont eat Kix anymore. :lol:

aww you are denying yourself the pleasure of eating the only kid tested mother approved breakfast cereal on the market :D

can't be any worse than eating cookie crisps as that cereal was actually created and marketed BY the devil himself to inflict horrible suffering on parents everywhere. It's just too tempting to kids, I mean who *wouldn't* want to eat cookies for breakfast?

oh and about ouji boards...I have to confess that they never worked for me. I was always the one moving the thing in an attempt to freak out or otherwise tease my friends. I know, I know I'm evil and I feel bad about it, but I'm convinced that's what the folks at Milton Bradley intended it to be used for when they marketed it to kids everywhere. All these other side effects can be considered accidental, at least that is what the lawyers would argue in any future lawsuits should the dark legions of satan advance on the world through a wormhole opened up by the irresponsible use of one.

I just remembered something that happened to me about 2 years ago and it is quite funny. Every once in a while I would gather some girlfriends together for a fun night of Ouija-ing in my mother's paranormal house. The evening would end with cheesecake made by yours truly---that's irrelevant but cheesecake always deserves a mention.

So about a week or so prior to the scary night, I got an anonymous email telling me I had no idea what I was messing with and I should not touch the Ouija board and God knows what devilish trouble I was unleashing, blah blah blah.

After a few emails back and forth ( me telling the sender to mind their own business and the sender telling me I was inviting demons to torture my soul) I finally had my brother trace the email, which is quite skilled at.
Turns out the sender was in England. ( HMMMMMMM--- a lot of YOU guys are in the UK!!! :shock: )

After warning the person to back off because I now knew who and where they were, they finally stopped sticking their nose in my business and quit writing.

THe strange thing about this mystery is that I never found out how ( The Guardian, as they called themselves) who I was, my email address or that I was having a Ouija night. All my girlfriends lived close to me ( obviously) and all of them swore they didn't mention to a nut on the other side of the Atlantic.

A workmate told me the following story.

It seems that one Christmas, she and her sisters decided to try the Ouija Board. Only the women tried it, the men simply watched and took notes. After a few minutes of inactivity, the board began to spell out the following message -

"Keep off the African grass. Elephant balls to you all".

- and that was it. No more movement.

None of the women present had any connection with Africa or elephants. All claimed that they had not consciously moved the planchette.

Dunno about you, it just seems a weird thing for anyone to say, spirit or human.

Elephant balls? Is that like ground up elephant meat fried into a ball shape or is that like.....never mind.

It's the African Grass that gets me. I don't think my workmate would know what Durban poison was, never mind needing a spirit to tell her to keep off it!

I've always wondered what Durban poison was, being such a Humble Pie fan.

Take some urban noise
And some Durban poison
Gonna lessen your load...
Thirty days in the hole

Yes, I know everybody hates them.

graylien said:
Perhaps Ouija board entities are nothing more than confused psychic tulpas, baffled by their own existence. What a depressing thought.:?

This has been suggested before, and the idea does seem to have some merit. I remember thinking the same sort of thing after my only encounter with the subject.

This happened many years ago at a local BUFORA meeting. The area co-ordinator dabbled quite a bit with the ouija board, and when she suggested we give it a try everyone agreed. Much hilarity ensued when we found ourselves conversing with someone who claimed to be a flight engineer aboard a spacecraft heading towards Earth. The reason for their visit was apparently that they were "worried about the nuclear weapons". I'm sure someone asked how they were managing to communicate with a oiuja board when they were on a ship that was light years away, or why they would even bother, but I don't remember the answer. However, I do recall it telling us that the universe is doughnut-shaped!

I'm undecided about ouija boards, but I did have an odd experience in college.

A friend brought his board over to my apartment. I can't remember if this was just once or a few times. I do know that we never did anything to banish beforehand or close things off afterwards, because we didn't know you were supposed to do anything like that. We just looked at it as just a spooky toy.

We used it in one spot on the living room floor. After we'd used it once (or twice?), my roommates and I began to hear a LOUD tapping coming up from that spot every now and them. It definitely was coming up from under the rug. And we lived in a ground floor apartment.

It would be a series of sharp, deliberate, regular raps, usually at night, and they were surprisingly loud - several nights I heard the rapping downstairs very clearly while I was lying in bed upstairs.

It was weird to have it happen in that exact spot, though we recognized that the noise may well have been due to the incredibly cheap and shoddy construction of the apartments.

When our landlords tried to screw us over on getting our security deposit back, we briefly considered listing "door to the spirit world" as an improvement we'd made to the property.

Maybe the person was buried under your floor....not quite dead yet.....

This is more or less copied from my post on another site but I wanted to share it with you guys - this happened in September 2004. I know the Ouija subject has been brought up before but not recently.

Just my parents, hubby Clive and me sat around the board, I was the 'spokesperson' and asked if anybody from the spirit world was present and if they had a message. Well it took quite a while for anything to happen but then following was spelt out in response to my questions.

Who is there - ELEANOR
Eleanor who - ELEANOR AQUITAINE
(At this point bear in mind Clive had not even heard of her, I vaguely remembered some history from school and had heard of her - my parents had heard of her but knew no details whatsoever)
What is your message for us - NOTHING IS CHEAP
Clive spoke up and said are you my spirit guide - YES !!!
(Clive doesn't know what made him ask this - he just did)
Do you have a message for Clive - TRUST A FRENCH SCHOLAR
Eleanor we need evidence it is really you - please give us some information about yourself, when did you pass over - 1402. Where are you buried - NORMANDY
Who were your children - JEAN CLAUDE - DEAD SON
RICHARD 1
(Long Pause at this point)
Eleanor are you still there - YES
1323 FIRE WESSEX ENGLAND RICHARD DELT REVENGE SARACENS
(47 AQUITAINE) FRANCE WILL BE KIND CLIVE - GOODBYE

We heard no more from Eleanor. Please bear in mind none of us knew the history of Eleanor until we checked up afterwards. She actually died in 1204 not 1402 (numbers just transposed?)She married Henry II and had several children including (one who died at birth), John (Jean?) and most famously Richard I (Lionheart). We did not know she was his mother! Now Richard did fight with the Saracens - and he did want revenge. Apparently there was a fire which destroyed an Abbey in Wessex around 1323 (don't quite understand a connection to Eleanor here). We didn't know what the 47 Aquitaine meant. But 47 is one of the numbered Departments of France, in Aquitaine! All this history had to be checked - none of knew anything about Eleanor of Aquitaine. We read up on her and found her to be one of the most powerful & longlived woman of her times. Could she really have visited us? Could she really be Clive's spirit guide?

Now whether we believe in being able to contact the dead through an Ouija board or not, this whole thing has us all fascinated. The point being none of us knew that history. Admittedly the date she died was wrong, but the planchette was moving so fast I believe I may have recorded the numbers incorrectly), everything else was spelt correctly too.

Btw, it also has to be borne in mind the relevance of Eleanor coming through for us at this time (we were looking to buy a second home in France) this made the message about France being kind all the more poignant.

I believe more than the ideomotor effect was at play here. Is it more likely to be some form ESP? My husband's knowledge of history is appalling and tbh if you told me E of A was around in 17 something I wouldn't have argued. My parents swear she was one person in history they didn't know much about. My Dad has his whole life been interested in all things paranormal (Fortean) but remains highly sceptical - he says perhaps one of us held a lot more history in their subconcious than they realised - what do you think? Some form of mind-reading - except of the subconcious mind. All four of us are in agreement on one thing, none of us knew the history of E of A and had we been questioned before, would not have been able to give that information.

Where I have posted about this before I seem to get little or no resonse, maybe the story comes across as being too good to be true. I would genuinely be interested to hear what people think.

GirlSeeksGhosts said:

I believe more than the ideomotor effect was at play here. Is it more likely to be some form ESP? My husband's knowledge of history is appalling and tbh if you told me E of A was around in 17 something I wouldn't have argued. My parents swear she was one person in history they didn't know much about. My Dad has his whole life been interested in all things paranormal (Fortean) but remains highly sceptical - he says perhaps one of us held a lot more history in their subconcious than they realised - what do you think? Some form of mind-reading - except of the subconcious mind. All four of us are in agreement on one thing, none of us knew the history of E of A and had we been questioned before, would not have been able to give that information.

Where I have posted about this before I seem to get little or no resonse, maybe the story comes across as being too good to be true. I would genuinely be interested to hear what people think.
Well, at least some members of the little circle had some knowledge of the character and history. The mind can play strange tricks, put several minds together, release the 'subconcious'parts from any sense of responsiblity, Freudian, Jungian, Adlerian, etc. and all sorts of strange effects are possible.

Strangely enough, I'd be curious to know where this was posted previously, any chance of a link? :)

Well this is as big an OH MY GOD as I have ever posted :D You see I posted about this in 3 or 4 paranormal sites. It happened a while ago now and cannot remember where I very first posted it. (I did save my original post in Word and freely admit to altering how I felt about what happened with each time I posted but certainly I did not alter what actually happened) BUT GET THIS lol I found where I posted not long after the event and just look at my view afterwards. I think it goes to show how shocked and in awe we really were at the time. I think it was shortly after this my own true perception of what happened kicked in and I became far more interested in ESP because of it. Here is the link to one of my posts - I feel quite :oops: but here goes

http://www.angryorcs.com/seekers/cgi-bi ... ;start=0#0

I'm sceptical because the person you allegedly contacted was so famous. Of all the billions of people that have ever died, you happened to get someone like that? If it had been a nobody who had supplied details of their life which you had verified then that would have been something, otherwise I'm in agreement with Pietros, the source was the subconscious knowledge of one of the people present.

No Hokum surely it doesn't matter which 'spirit' came through for us, if your argument is that it came from subconscious of one of those present. We laughed out loud when 'Eleanor' came through and we all say why on earth would she come through for us. Hence we soon realised that this needed backing up and we asked for 'proof' that it was her. Perhaps a lesser spirit person would not have known the detailed stuff that came through.

Anyway I believe my parents and my husband 100% as I have to :? Like me they insist they did not have the knowledge to begin with. But to be honest what are we left with .........??? It sure is a fascinating thing and although its left us with more questions I'm glad we experienced it :mrgreen:

GirlSeeksGhosts said:

Anyway I believe my parents and my husband 100% as I have to :? Like me they insist they did not have the knowledge to begin with. But to be honest what are we left with .........??? It sure is a fascinating thing and although its left us with more questions I'm glad we experienced it :mrgreen:
Apparently even the shade of Eleanor of Aquitaine didn't know everything:
Eleanor we need evidence it is really you - please give us some information about yourself, when did you pass over - 1402.
Not everybody was totally without knowledge of the character's history:
... I vaguely remembered some history from school and had heard of her - my parents had heard of her but knew no details whatsoever ...
The mind can store far more than it can consciously remember and Eleanor did seem quite fond of Clive. ;)

Eleanor of Aquitaine made the news when she was the answer of the first ever Who Wants to be a Millionaire? winner's question on British TV. This was before 2004, I'm sure, could one of you have read a report on that a couple of years before?

Hi Girlseeks...

Obviously I dont know any of the individuals involved, and am by no means making any character judgements, but when I read through this account earlier today my first thought was, well, maybe there was some doubts either yourself or your old man (ie partner) were having about the 2nd home in France. And that someone at the table was trying to offer a level of reassurance in going ahead and buying property out there.

I mean, it could have begun as a light-hearted kind of thing, but when they saw the effect this had on you ("shocked and in awe" you say) then they felt they couldnt own up.

Just an idea, from a human nature point of view.

Thanks for posting all your views, its what I wanted. But I still don't quite feel content to (a) think one of us knew the information on a subconcious level or (b) that any one of us may have manipulated anything that happened. Because of the very nature of this an anonymous forum it is indeed hard to get across the fact that my own limited knowledge of Eleanor consisted of her being a famous person from France from a long time ago :oops: Both my parents have thought very hard to try to dislodge some memories of the history they may have had about her, but to no avail. My dad is over 70 and when we started trying to use 'the board' he stressed that if ever for one moment one of us even contemplated pushing or manipulating anything for even one second, he wouldn't entertain doing it all. We all made a pledge that if nothing happened so be it and when you have sat sometimes for 3 or so hours with nothing happening or maybe just a few random letters, you better believe we have better things to do with our time :hah:

Yes, the date E of A died was wrong, annoyed us no end that! :lol:

Easy for me to say I know, but none of the four of us watch Who Wants to be a Millionaire :shock: Not to say we never caught a few moments or part of a show, but now that is one thing I never knew about the A of E question :shock:

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your views. Maybe on some form of unconcious level I want for someone to say - WOW you spoke with Eleanor of Aquitaine ;)

WOW you spoke with Eleanor of Aquitaine!!! ;)

So did she communicate in English, French or Latin? I'm assuming English...
That's another weird bit-would spirits automatically aquire a 'universal language' or something like that? I don't think Eleanor, or indeed, any of the English royalty at that time spoke much English. They were all Normans...

LOL @ eris - thanks for that :lol:

Yes 'Eleanor' spoke perfect English with exemplary spelling too! Actually, that did discount my o/h from being accused of pushing the planchette :mrgreen:

Joking aside, it doesn't negate the fact that something interesting did indeed occur, something more than manipulation/ideomotor effect or simple mind-reading. We were impressed and yes I guess were awe struck at the time!

Actually GirlSeeksGhosts I'm inclined to believe your experience and that something weird did happen. It simply rings true to me. From what you've said, it seems unlikely that any of the person's present could have unconsciously condensed so much knowledge about Eleanor to be able to supply the answers in the way they were given. In fact, the answers sound to me like they come from a personal standpoint, detached from the personalities present, and sometimes making little sense to the receivers. Frankly, I think it more likely that they came from outside your group. Have you thought of using the Ouija some more with the same people and documenting what happens?

Hi GSG - out of interest what happened with the 2nd home in France, did you get it? Was it cheap? Was there a French scholar involved?

Thinking about the language employed as Eris says, they probably wouldnt have spoken English and almost certainly not as we know it. I think between about 1100 and 1500 Middle English would have been used and while this has a lot of phonetic commonalities with modern English it is spelt quite differently.

Im sure others on here would know better than I (as my experience is limited to a reading of La Morte d'Arthur) but a word such as 'together' would have been written 'togydirs' at that time.

Im looking for a free online ME doctionary - cant find one.

Did you ever consider the possibility that it might have been someone in the 'spirit world' pulling your leg? When I pass over, I have every intention of announcing myself as being either Winston Churchill or Ghengis Khan to the Ouija dabblers of the world. (Well, I've got to do something to while away eternity.)

Back