• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Out Of Body Experiences (OBEs / OOBEs)

A

Anonymous

obe's

ok dunno if this is the right thread for this but..
ive heard everyone has the ability to have an out of body experiance well ive read things on sites about it and so far it appears to be a load of - dare i say it? crap
if someone could give me more infomation it would be great as i am genuinly interested in it

I recommend Susan Blackmore's Beyond The Body - somewhat skeptical book, but written as the result of her search to explain her own experiences.

I wouldn't recommend Blackmore's book, nor would I equate her own experience (which I once heard firsthand at a presentation) with OOBEs, which are often non-volitional and spontaneous experiences.

Having said that, I can't think of another source right now to which to point you.

You could try Journeys Out of the Body by Robert Monroe. It's kind of bizarre, he has some rather dreamlike experiences, but it is interesting.

I had a series of OBEs when I was meditating regularly on the Tree of Life and the tarot - they were not really controllable, but I was aware of what I was doing. It seemed more real than dreaming, but less real than being awake. I can give you more details if you're interested...

Unlikely

I had an out of body experience just the other day when a b*stard in a Merc' papped his horn behind me as I daydreamed across the road! :eek!!!!:

No need to show me out...

The other night I had the definite sensation of 'falling' back into my body.It was quite unlike any feeling I've ever had when waking up.TBH I first thought I was leaving my body,panicking myself for a second as I thought "Shite, I'm dead!" but I opened my eyes and I was in bed.
I'm more inclined now to believe in OBEs.

I recommend readying Beckjord's OBE/Mothman threads for that info. Ok so he's a loon, but...

Hell it's FUNNY!

Define OBE.

When I was about 10, I fell off a 12 foot wall. I remember vividly seeing myself fall from a vantage point on the ground. I saw myself fall. Weird.

And OBE? Some would say so.

Then again I did get a nasty jolt when I landed which surely shocked my brain a bit (landed on my feet and then toppled over).

So I've always divided OBEs into "Shocking OBEs" (like mine) and "Mystic OBEs" (ie: I meditated and travel to Atlantis...). The former being most likely explained on a psychological/physical level and the latter being explained as "most likely a bunch of hooey".

eerievon said:
I first thought I was leaving my body,panicking myself for a second as I thought "Shite, I'm dead!" but I opened my eyes and I was in bed.

This reminded me of an experience I had on holiday once. I fell asleep on a bed which was pushed up against the wall, and slept with my nose right against the wall which was whitewashed. Anyway, when I woke up and opened my eyes, all I could see was white which prompted me for a second to think "Shite, I'm dead!"

Schmell said:
Define OBE.

Then again I did get a nasty jolt when I landed which surely shocked my brain a bit (landed on my feet and then toppled over).
As the recently late Spike milligan said,

"Luckily the ground broke my fall!"

It does explain a lot of my behavior.

Although the cops never seem to buy it.....

My secondary school headmaster had an OBE.

It was for services to the ATC in Scotland. :)

Don't know if he ever had an OOBE, though.......

My eldest child used to astrally project and travel when she was a child. I had read about this but didn't connect it to what she told me was happening.

When she was about 4, she'd know where things were, eg the sweets I'd been given for her and hidden on a high shelf without her knowing. She'd ask me for them as she'd 'floated' up and seen them. She also 'floated' up and down stairs. (This is all described in a previous thread called something like 'floating downstairs'.)

It has occurred to me that when this was happening to her, if she'd thought to turn around, she might have seen her 'body' standing behind her. Brrr.

Was this an OOBE?

When I was young - 4 or 5 years old, the following used to happen to me quite often. If I was sitting in the living room and listening to my mother or father talk to me and I wasn't concentrating and letting my mind wander, I used to get the feeling that I was looking at them from a great distance because they appeared very small. Also their voices would appear to come from far off. I used to enjoy this and could make it happen almost at will. Do you think this was an OOBE?

Well, depending on your spiritual stance, yes it sounds likely to me.

Your experience sounds like astral travel in some form or another.

It is similar to the floating feeling that one can get when meditating or dropping off to sleep.

I get it when having to endure long meetings, my concentartion is still focussed, but there comes this feeling of of being seperate from my body, a rising or sinking effect.

Whether this is a physiological response to boredom or a spiritual 'soul moving' experience is of course open to interpretation - i rarely get bored when meditating however, so the latter seems more likely to me. ;)

No, it does not sound like one at all. It sounds merely like your mind was wandering you were not paying attention, you were "tuning them out".

I notice you say "could make it happen"; a past tense usage. Children are much better at "tuning out" than adults, but no, it was no OOBE, based on your description and descriptions of that alleged phenomenon by those who believe they have had OOBEs.

Rube said:
No, it does not
your mind was wandering

you were not paying attention

I love this one:
you were "tuning them out"

it was no OOBE

Tuning them out? Good contribution at last!!!

This could be percieved as the childhood beginnings of Astral Projection. In fact many young kids are able to switch it on and off and many of the adult cases have strong childhood origins.

What was your peripheral vision like when this happened?
Did you experience tunnel or wall eye vision?
Were you able to move up and down or left and right?
Were you able to cast your eyes in different directions?
Did it only ever happen when in the company of your parents?

Ignore Pube!

leaving aside the reality of oobes, i think you should consider the physics. the nature of light is such that if such a phenomena existed you could have a 'spatial location' (i might have made that term up!). light is energy inits own right. sound isn't. There are many possibilities of discerning light without physical eyes or such, but sound requires some physical sensing. no body, no ears, no sound. unless you think your real ears were hearing and transmiiting to you? but then the far away would be loud and near your oobe presence quiet.
can i tactfully say that you imagined it then, or you now imagine that you imagined it then?
but why?
was the telly broken?

i just had a thought...perhaps it was a sub-conciously provide a sense of being interesting and important.

for which i forgot to thank you.

I hope i can return the favour some day!:blah: :blah: :hmph:

mikeymichael said:
There are many possibilities of discerning light without physical eyes or such, but sound requires some physical sensing. no body, no ears, no sound. unless you think your real ears were hearing and transmiiting to you? but then the far away would be loud and near your oobe presence quiet.
can i tactfully say that you imagined it then, or you now imagine that you imagined it then?

Nah! The school of thought on this matter is still very much attracted to the idea that there is an invisible "umbilical cord" that stretches and contracts as the astral body moves.
The ears and eyes on the physical body do not cease to work.
Therefore there is no reason to believe that there can be no contact between the physical body and the astral one.

Why would sound not be remotely transferred like everything else. And why are OOBE people never complaining about being deaf. If an astral body can leave and move around and you accept this as a possibility, it does not take much of a leap to believe that the physical part can still hear things and transfer this sense remotely like all the other bits and pieces.

No, astral deafness has never been reported.

Seeing and hearing other people as if at a distance suggests something
with a physical cause. Many kids play "fainting games" which induce
oxygen starvation which can have this sort of effect.

I think the test for an Out of Body Experience would be whether you
ever saw yourself from a distance. :confused:

No Separation

There was no sense of separation from the body, and no glimpse of the body sitting there, so I'd say it was more a sensory illusion and not OBE at all.

Whether it might have been used as a basis for training yourself to experience OBEs, I don't know. Possibly, sure.

As for me, I saw myself from a distance once, but I got away before I was spotted.

st clair, why did you quote me without reading it?

did i not say that if such a channel existed it would mean that you would hear sounds near your physical body as though you were there? ie loud.;not quiet as though from a distance?

and what school of thought?
is that not like saying the school of thought beleives Leeds are the best soccer team when in fact by 'school' you mean the Leeds supporters club?

mikeymichael said:
...perhaps it was a sub-conciously provide a sense of being interesting and important.

Is this a better quote?

As astral projection is now studied closely by some of the worlds leading universities, I will presume that you know what the phrase "school of thought means".

Scientists studying a well researched concept/phenomena have been hard at work for the past 35 years trying to compile the phenomena into well catagorised, comprahensive feature in the paraphsychology departments of some of the worlds leading universities.

The US government have admitted to having used Remote Viewing to spy on the enemy and have therefore compiled entire libraries on the subject.

This represents the School of thought and the research conducted on a football team does not compare.

O.K

not unless you include the continuation...

'for which i forgot to thank you.

I hope i can return the favour some day.'

which is intended to turn the insult from victim back to myself....

'it's like comedy ..only without the humour'.

What were you thanking him for though?

It might make more sense if this was explained.

I dont know quite what it meant but if Cranium did....fair enough!

Sincerely, the main thing is that he did'nt feel mocked or small, it does'nt matter if I took it seriously because you have'nt hurt me.
But I would have felt it if you had directed the "victimisation" that you addmitted to, towards me.

Its cool though,
Can we talk about the topic now though instead of this please.

respect for the original post is a very valid point. have you realised though, that the largest single contribution to this topic is the repition of an unrelated statement being made by the use of a rather big image?

Oooh - I have opened a can of worms haven't I? Have you two had a previous run-in? Just to let everyone know - I was not hurt or offended by any of the replies - and relax.....

To answer a few points. The sensation was of me rising to the ceiling and looking down at the person talking (the one I WASN'T listening to). This was accompanied by a ringing in the ears almost akin to the sound you hear shortly before fainting. On "return" to normality I would hear a pop and everything would be fine.
St Clair - I don't remember being able to move - I think I was just static, up in the corner of the room. I remember staring at my parents as this was the amusement of the whole thing - they were realy small! So you could say I had tunnel vision of some sorts.

MickeyMichael wrote: "but why?
was the telly broken?

i just had a thought...perhaps it was a sub-conciously provide a sense of being interesting and important."

As I was born and grew up in South Africa and we didn't GET tv until 1977, I had no idea what tv was, so that really had nothing to do with it. As I was quite young I had no desire to be interesting OR important - obviously traits that are associated with growing up with tv - I take it you did?

Back