Out Of Place Animals

Jim

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Interesting how our winged friend even got there. Perhaps migrating and needed a break. But it does show how new animals make it to out of the way places. The key here is it not an introduced species.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Interesting how our winged friend even got there. Perhaps migrating and needed a break. But it does show how new animals make it to out of the way places. The key here is it not an introduced species.
Dunno - do ducks migrate? Not introduced but certainly out of place. Maybe he was blown off course by strong winds and forced to land there.

I just liked that they'd taken to him as a novelty, were feeding him & keeping his puddle topped up. Must be quite a disappointment for a duck not to have a sizeable body of water to do it's thing in.

Jim

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Dunno - do ducks migrate? Not introduced but certainly out of place. Maybe he was blown off course by strong winds and forced to land there.

I just liked that they'd taken to him as a novelty, were feeding him & keeping his puddle topped up. Must be quite a disappointment for a duck not to have a sizeable body of water to do it's thing in.
In North American most ducks - water fowl migrate down south (Florida, Mexico, South America in winter. Some have long migrations spending the summers in artic -subarctic Canada. Starting in late September one can very large flocks of swans, ducks, geese and more flying at higher altitudes on their way down south.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Reactions: Jim

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Benny the beluga is still in the Thames & a local firework display cancelled

Been there for about a month now.

About 15,000 people were expected to gather for the annual bonfire night celebrations in Gravesend, Kent, on 2 November to see a display set off from a barge on the river.

Council officials said the Port of London had advised them that the display should not take place on or over the river and that moving it to another site around the town of Gravesend, which is on the river, would still be likely to disturb the whale.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
Bless this rat, just trying to run up a descending escalator, and terrifying everyone in the process.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of lion cubs on the loose in France.

Paris police officers found a lion cub in a Lamborghini during a traffic stop on the city's famed Champs-Elysees.

The cub , named Putin but known as Dadou, is less than two months old, according to the French animal protection agency now caring for it. The agency, 30 Million Friends, is suing the driver of the rented sports car, who was taken into custody after police found the cub in the car on Monday. Paris police confirmed the find and the arrest.

The cub is the third recovered by 30 Million Friends in a month and the sixth feline in under a year. It is calling for beefed-up measures against the trafficking of wild animals in France.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/lion-cub-rescued-lamborghini-paris-boulevard-59184918

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
Here's a lovely one from the NY Times, as far as I know the duck is still there happily subsisting on well whatever is in the pond in Central Park. The popular assumption is that it escaped from someone's very fancy garden in New Jersey. (Sorry there are two images, it gave me a choice and then uploaded both with no delete button.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/31/nyregion/mandarin-duck-central-park-pond.html Photo credit is EJ Bartolazo.

1542214195083.png
1542214195083.png

Reaction score
Here's a lovely one from the NY Times, as far as I know the duck is still there happily subsisting on well whatever is in the pond in Central Park. The popular assumption is that it escaped from someone's very fancy garden in New Jersey. (Sorry there are two images, it gave me a choice and then uploaded both with no delete button.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/31/nyregion/mandarin-duck-central-park-pond.html Photo credit is EJ Bartolazo.

View attachment 12988View attachment 12988
I nearly replied to this last night because I saw one one the River Wear a couple of years ago but on checking I found that they are a naturalised introduced species in the UK, so not really an OOP animal here.
Then this morning I opened my browser and the image of the day on Bing.com search engine is -

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 08.08.42jpg.jpg

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
With winter coming on, this alligator would be fortunate to get trapped and re-located ...
Alligator makes surprise appearance in Kentucky swamp
A Kentucky man doing duck hunting preparations with his grandson snapped photos of an unusual swamp resident -- a small alligator.

Chris Drummond said he and his grandson, Wyatt, were leaving a duck blind at the Fallen Timber Farms hunting ground in Ballard County when they took pictures of the surprising reptile. ...

The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife set traps in the area in the hopes of snaring the alligator.

The origins of the animal are unknown, but Drummond said Fish and Wildlife officials speculated it could be an escaped pet or a stowaway on a barge.

"We are about a mile from the Ohio River, probably about 4 or 5 miles from the Mississippi River," Drummond said. "Department of Fish and Wildlife seem to think he may have hitchhiked up on here on a barge."

A Fish and Wildlife spokesman said an alligator would be unlikely to survive for long in the area due to the cold temperatures.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/1...e-appearance-in-Kentucky-swamp/8441543933939/

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Reaction score
LOL, I just had an unpleasant experience. I had dinner guests over earlier tonight and I just went to the toilet to pee. Imagine my disgust when I saw what appeared to be the tapered end of a black-brown turd protruding from under the china lip of the toilet? My thoughts were "FFS! How did they even manage to get that up there?" So, with a shudder I flushed it. To my surprise it wasn't a turd at all. As the water dislodged it, I saw a big thick tadpole with legs, roughly seven centimeters long from nose to tail, slip sliding its way down my S bend. It was really big. It's nose was rounded like a shovel, and it was hard to see where the head ended and the body began in the split second before it vanished. Does anyone have a clue who this obscene little intruder may have been? I want her species so I can tell her parents off!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The seal was lucky to make it's way inland seeing as it was in Norfolk: if it had been a Cromer garden then it would have meant roast seal for xmas dinner.

A three-week-old seal pup was found in a back garden four miles (6.4km) away from the sea.

The RSPCA said it was found in Terrington St Clement in Norfolk. It said it believed the pup travelled up a drainage system in the hope of finding water or food. Animal collection officer Naemi Kilbey said she was grateful the "incredibly feisty little fella" was found, otherwise he may have died from starvation. The seal pup was taken to the RSPCA East Winch Wildlife Centre where it was checked over.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-46659658

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The seal was lucky to make it's way inland seeing as it was in Norfolk: if it had been a Cromer garden then it would have meant roast seal for xmas dinner.

A three-week-old seal pup was found in a back garden four miles (6.4km) away from the sea.

The RSPCA said it was found in Terrington St Clement in Norfolk. It said it believed the pup travelled up a drainage system in the hope of finding water or food. Animal collection officer Naemi Kilbey said she was grateful the "incredibly feisty little fella" was found, otherwise he may have died from starvation. The seal pup was taken to the RSPCA East Winch Wildlife Centre where it was checked over.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-46659658
It was trying to find Cromer.

AlchoPwn

Reaction score
It had heard some of the people have webbed feet, so thought it would blend in.
Is it true that Cromerians can smell when someone isn't genetically related to them? if it is, I wouldn't go there in a lean winter.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Sad news. RIP Trevor.

Trevor, world's loneliest duck, dies on Pacific island of Niue

Trevor the duck, whose tale of loneliness on the tiny Pacific island nation of Niue made him a local celebrity and captured headlines last year, has died.

He was found dead in the bush after being attacked by dogs, according to a social media page dedicated to the drake.

The mallard is thought to have been blown on to the island during a storm about a year ago. He came to global prominence after an article by the New Zealand Herald that chronicled his life in a roadside puddle due to an absence of wetlands or ponds across Niue.

He was named Trevor, after New Zealand’s parliamentary speaker, Trevor Mallard. “Deepest sympathy to the people of Niue from the parliament of New Zealand,” Mallard posted on social media on Monday.

Rae Findlay, Niue’s chamber of commerce chief, said Trevor’s death would be a loss for the nation. “He captured many hearts and even the rooster, the chicken and the weka were looking a little forlorn today wandering around near the dry puddle,” Findlay told ABC.

The remote Pacific atoll of Niue, a three-and-a-half hour flight from Auckland, has a population of 1,600. Nicknamed the rock of the Pacific, it has no suitable habitats for ducks. Local firefighters topped up Trevor’s puddle after New Zealand’s former high commissioner began feeding him.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
That cage is far too small for the tiger.

AlchoPwn

Reaction score

AlchoPwn

Reaction score
That is crazy.
Crazy? Hah! The USA has not yet even begun to crazy! The crazy is when someone decides that the situation is unreasonable and tries to get the laws regarding tiger importation and ownership tightened to stop this sort of abuse. My countrymen take their freedom to behave like unspeakable douchebags very seriously. I sometimes think that we need a Statue of License to go with the Statue of Liberty, so the great American people finally get the idea that liberty isn't license.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score