• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Out Of Place Animals

An interesting visitor.

An Egyptian vulture has been sighted in the south Roscommon area for what is believed to be a first for the county and second ever recorded in the country.

He was initially observed on the morning of New Year’s Eve by the National Parks and Wildlife Services warden for Lough Rea and the Mid-Shannon Callows in the area, Owen Murphy, who picked up on the unusual flight pattern of the bird and upon closer examination, identified him as an Egyptian vulture.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40776570.html

An interesting visitor.

An Egyptian vulture has been sighted in the south Roscommon area for what is believed to be a first for the county and second ever recorded in the country.

He was initially observed on the morning of New Year’s Eve by the National Parks and Wildlife Services warden for Lough Rea and the Mid-Shannon Callows in the area, Owen Murphy, who picked up on the unusual flight pattern of the bird and upon closer examination, identified him as an Egyptian vulture.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40776570.html
Strange. I think it was last year we had the Egyptian vulture's closest relative, the bearded vulture, turn up in Lincolnshire.

This seal seems happier living inland on the Hudson River than in his species' native marine environment.
Seal skips ocean, makes home 100 miles up Hudson River

A juvenile harbor seal has forgone life in the ocean, instead choosing a home nearly 100 miles up the Hudson River — behavior that wildlife officials called “unprecedented.”

The animal was likely abandoned as a pup by his mother in Maine, officials say. A Connecticut rescue center cared for him, then released him in Rhode Island in early 2019 with an electronic tracking tag.

By that August, he’d settled down on the Hudson near Saugerties Lighthouse, under the watchful eye of the lighthouse keeper, staying for 620 days.

“It is a story like none we have ever heard of … a marine mammal showing such extended affinity and fidelity to freshwater,” said Tom Lake of the state Department of Environmental Conservation’s Hudson River Almanac ...

Harbor Seal No. 246 — as he’s known officially — disappeared last April ...

Turns out he needed rescuing again, catching an infection and a skin condition called “seal pox” after swimming down to Long Island’s Atlantic Beach. ...

Thankfully, Seal 246 was picked up by the New York Marine Rescue Center. Once he recovered, they released him last summer, likely expecting he’d head out to sea. ...

He journeyed 210 miles, from Hampton Bays all the way back up the Hudson to his old stomping grounds near Saugerties. The lighthouse keeper noticed his return in August.
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/oddities...als-wildlife-3f285d77ca3d955131a04949f76bdc93

This is what it looks like when a moose shows up in your basement. He wasn't in the mood for ping-pong ...

MooseInBasement.jpg
CPW officers rescue moose that was trapped in Breckenridge basement

Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers rescued a moose that had become trapped in the basement of a house in Breckenridge on Monday. ...

Wildlife officers responded and discovered a moose that had been grazing near a home had fallen through a snow-covered window well and into the home’s basement. Responding officers opened doors to create exits for the moose, but could not get the moose to leave because it required going up a basement staircase to reach the exits.

CPW officers tranquilized the moose and cut off its antlers so that it could fit up the home’s stairs and reduce further damage to the home. Moose antlers typically fall off this time of year and the moose will grow new antlers this spring.

Breckenridge Police, Blue River Police, and the Red, White & Blue Fire and EMS helped CPW wildlife officers carry the moose upstairs and outside where it was safely released back into quality moose habitat. ...
FULL STORY: https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/News-Release-Details.aspx?NewsID=8045

This London man had a sugar glider glide into his apartment ...

SugarGlider.jpg
Sugar glider flies into London man's sixth-floor apartment

A London man said he was awakened in the early morning when a sugar glider flew through an open window into his sixth-floor apartment.

John Zou, 27, said he woke up about 5 a.m. to an odd sound. ...

"I was asleep and woke up to the noise of something running around the bedroom. I was scared it might be a rat, but when I went to investigate, I found this little creature," Zou told the RSPCA. "I didn't know it was a sugar glider, so I sent photos to some friends and they helped me to identify it."

Zou kept the sugar glider, a type of Australian possum that can glide through the air, in his bedroom.

"I left the window open to the balcony, so he must have come in from outside. I guesss he's someone's pet and flew into my flat from theirs," Zou said. ...

Zou contacted the RSPCA, and Inspector Francesca Tambini responded to his apartment in the Leather Lane area of London. ...

"Sugar gliders look incredibly cute and this little guy is adorable," Tambini said. "It's easy to see why people might be tempted to buy them as pets, but we would urge them to reconsider. These animals need very special care, and we don't believe they are suitable as pets." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...r-sixth-story-London-apartment/6561642180587/

Such a cute creature - but lots of hard work. They're on the go all the time.

Last edited:
A sea lion discovered last month in California - miles from the ocean - has been checked, found fit, and returned to the sea.
Sea lion found wandering California highway returned to the ocean

A sea lion found wandering a California highway, miles from the nearest coastline, has been released back into the ocean, SeaWorld San Diego announced.

The sea lion first made headlines when it was found wandering the median of State Route 94 in San Diego on Jan. 7. Rescuers said the animal was more than 8 miles away from the ocean when it was captured by the SeaWorld San Diego Rescue Team. ...

SeaWorld partnered with veterinarians and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Fisheries for the sea lion's monthlong rehabilitation and the animal was released back into the ocean Wednesday.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/02/10/SeaWorld-San-Diego-highway-sea-lion-released/7221644518890/

"Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a paragliding dog"
We all know the saying that a dog is a man’s best friend. Well, one French man has been testing that theory to its limit.
After just a month and a half of training, he managed to teach his pet how to fly with him on a paraglider.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-60341236

Bonkers pet keeping..

Ukraine: India doctor stranded with a jaguar and panther

For more than a week, an Indian doctor in war-torn Ukraine has been holed up in a basement at home with his pet big cats - a black panther and a jaguar.

Girikumar Patil, who bought the two cats from the Kyiv zoo, says he will not leave home without his pets. He has lived for over six years in Severodonetsk, a small town located in the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine.
After the war began, Mr Giri, who is single, has been stepping out of his cramped basement only to buy food for his cats - the male jaguar is 20 months old and the female panther is a six-month-old cub - after the curfew ends early in the morning.

So far, Mr Giri said he had bought 23kg of sheep, turkey and chicken meat from neighbouring villages at prices four times higher than normal.

Mr Patil, who hails from the southern Indian state of Andhra Pradesh, said that he spent $35,000 (£26,460) to buy the panther and the jaguar from the Kyiv zoo about 20 months ago. He said the zoo allowed private sales of animals provided the owner had enough space to keep them - Mr Patil showed the birth certificates of the animals supplied by the zoo.

In Severodonetsk, Mr Patil lives in a six-room two-storey house with a small enclosure for the animals. He said he spent most of his earnings on his pets - he also has three dogs - and tries to raise additional funds through his YouTube channels where he posts videos of his two big cats for some 85,000 subscribers.
1646696062942.png

Penguin escapes zoo, wanders Budapest streets

Hungarian police said officers captured an unusual fugitive Wednesday morning in central Budapest: a penguin that escaped from the local zoo.

Budapest police said the penguin was spotted in the early hours Wednesday wandering on a large street near the city's zoo.

"As it would have been a long walk to Antarctica, the bird was captured, wrapped in a blanket, and handed over intact to the Metropolitan Zoo and Botanical Garden," police said in a statement.

The zoo said the penguin, named Sanyika, is 6 months old and extremely curious.

"Somehow, Sanyi got out of his outdoor enclosure and wandered out of the zoo. To make sure this doesn't happen, we've installed cameras in the penguins' enclosure and are keeping a close eye on the penguin troop,"

1646870269478.png
1646870300169.png

An alligator crashed a Florida school's swim team practice ...
Florida swim team practice interrupted by alligator in the pool

A Florida school's swim team practice was delayed when the students discovered the pool was already occupied -- by an alligator.

The Lake County Sheriff's Office said in a Facebook post that deputies responded to Montverde Academy on a report of an alligator crashing the swim team practice and refusing to vacate the pool voluntarily. ...

The deputies used a safety hook to pull the 3-foot gator closer to the edge of the pool, where it was grabbed by another deputy.

The alligator's jaws were secured with electrical tape and the reptile was taken to Lake Apopka, where the tape was removed and "the gator was released on its own recognizance." ...
FULL STORY (With Photo): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/03/15/Florida-swim-team-practice-alligator-in-pool/6741647377985/

Photo/video of animal remains found on a beach in Queensland is making the tabloid rounds this week.
There was no good scale in the pics. The goofy headlines read "alien". Most people assumed wallaby or baby kangaroo but it's most likely a brushtail opossum.

possum carcass.png

The previous week, the same kind of animal was rescued from a buoy in Victoria.
possum rescue.jpg

Photo/video of animal remains found on a beach in Queensland is making the tabloid rounds this week.
There was no good scale in the pics. The goofy headlines read "alien". Most people assumed wallaby or baby kangaroo but it's most likely a brushtail opossum.

View attachment 53771

The previous week, the same kind of animal was rescued from a buoy in Victoria. View attachment 53772

lt really wanted to die, didn’t it?

maximus otter

So where did its fur go? Does the hair just fall out after being in the water for more than a short time?

Siberian Tiger in Alaska – Are there any Tigers in Alaska?

ALTHOUGH Siberian tigers (Panthera tigris altaica) primarily lives in the eastern Russia with a few individuals found as far as China and North Korea, it appears as if amur tigers are making their way to Alaska—perhaps for the first time. No one would have thought that way if Togiak Refuge hadn’t posted the tiger photo on November 4th, 2016.

Siberian Tiger in Alaska​

Togiak Refuge set up a game camera hoping to catch a glimpse of poachers or any possible illegal hunting activity but what they saw was something they never expected—not at least on the tributary of the Togiak River. The camera took the photo of an amur tiger feeding on a dead carcass. Here’s the photo!
(c) Siberiantiger.org

{disclaimer:- I don't know how reliable this org. is}

(I did look to see if this had been previsiously post, no luck)

I'm not sure whether this post deserves its place in this thread - it's not so much this bat being out of place as he doesn't have and, seemingly, has never had any fellows.

If there's a more appropriate place for this post I'd be grateful if the mods would move it.

A wing and a prayer: is there hope for Britain’s loneliest bat?​

A greater mouse-eared bat in flight

Our rarest mammal lives on its own, with no known relatives this side of the Channel. Did the greater mouse-eared bat stray here from France? And is it time we invited over some company?

From The Guardian here.

ETA:I'm particularily amazed at his feeding method, as described in the article, I never imagined that bats might be air to ground predators. :oops:

Last edited:
I’ve seen them snatch insects from the surface of a river but I always thought that once on the ground they could not fly off.

I’ve seen them snatch insects from the surface of a river but I always thought that once on the ground they could not fly off.
I have seen bats do this and also swerve to inspect a fishing bait in mid-air, then veer off. A fly-fisher of my acquaintance once caught a bat that took the fake fly for a real one, and since then he's always packed up immediately he sees a bat.

My husband saw a large red fox running down our road last week, and just now TWO young deer ran around the corner.
Have never seen those animals in a suburban, highly congested area before, strange.

'Narco monkey' in bulletproof vest killed in cartel shootout

Spider monkey 'El Changuito' was killed alongside 11 cartel members in a deadly shooting in the town of Texcaltitlan in Mexico, despite wearing a tiny bulletproof vest at the time

A bloody shootout has seen 11 cartel members killed - as well as the pet monkey of one of the gang members.
The monkey's owner was among the dead, with the pet - who was wearing a tiny bulletproof vest and camouflage jacket - lying on his chest.

The owner was a young man in his 20s who was said to be part of Mexico 's infamous criminal group La Familia Michoacana.
At the time, the small spider monkey was wearing a khaki hooded jacket, a bulletproof vest and a nappy.

Officers found the strange and gruesome scene after a firefight between the cartel members and the authorities in Texcaltitlan, a town 60 miles southwest of the capital Mexico City.

A total of 10 men were killed at the scene, with another one dying in hospital and a further ten being detained, according to the Mexico Daily Post.
Since the deaths, a bizarre emotional tribute to the monkey is being shared on social media. It says the animal was called "El Changuito" and was born last year.

It says: "It wasn't your turn, friend. Rest in peace."
1655678236197.png

Back