• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Out of the Broom Closet: DC Witches in Their Own Words

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
"A growing number of witches are coming "out of the broom closet".

To celebrate Samhain, a Wiccan festival that falls on the evening of Oct. 31, Washington, D.C. resident Elizabeth Stephens usually prepares a pot of jambalaya to honor her late grandmother and a plate of roast beef in memory of her parents. She marks the festival with witches and fellow Wiccans, who offer their own dishes as a part of the day’s feast. The table they set becomes patterned with platters that were the favorites of family members and friends.

As a part of the celebration, a black cloth is held above the heads of the attendees and cut with a knife through the center, representing an opening between the spirit and material worlds. After some time has passed, participants encourage the spirits to return to their realm and the cut in the cloth is sewn.

Images of witches being veiled in darkness, casting spells over cauldrons endure, but a new generation of Wiccans and witches have established growing communities in D.C. and across the country.

101917+dc+witch+money+altar.jpg

Like other Wiccans and witches, Stephens has come “out of the broom closet” -- a term that refers to publicly revealing one’s beliefs as a Wiccan or witch. They are fighting back against misinformation about Wiccans and witches.

Stephens said she loves Halloween.

“It’s a celebration of the witch. You can have sexy witches, you can have scary witches, but it’s still a celebration of the witch. Even if the witch isn’t shown in a positive light,” said Stephens, a 37-year-old Wiccan who also practices witchcraft."

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/...and-witches-in-their-own-words-451613133.html

maximus otter

Yeah I put as much faith in Wiccans as I do those that believe in the Force or Klingon. Each to their own I guess and pretty harmless.

Coming-out indeed! The sky-clad ones were clambering over each other to be seen in the Sinday Papers of the 1960s and 70s.
They may have covered their faces - who was looking at their faces! :witch: :wide: :buck: :dunno:

To celebrate Samhain, a Wiccan festival that falls on the evening of Oct. 31

Grrr. Samhain does not originate from Wicca. It's a Gaelic Celtic festival going back much further. The roots of what became Halloween.

Coming-out indeed! The sky-clad ones were clambering over each other to be seen in the Sinday Papers of the 1960s and 70s.
They may have covered their faces - who was looking at their faces! :witch: :wide: :buck: :dunno:

Dunno - I made my excuses and left.

Wiccans also celebrate it.

I'm not saying that they don't. But by suggesting this is a Wiccan festival it's like saying 'Here's this thing which people thought up and started celebrating a hundred years ago' as opposed to 'Here's a Celtic festival dating back to at least the neolithic period, which many people look at as the roots for what we know as Halloween'.

It's not a new thing. :) Quite the opposite. Samhain is OLD. Old World Pagan Old. :)

I have nothing against Wicca, but it does take take a fair chunk of it lore from a number of pagan sources and other schools of mysticism. Your average journo is pretty likely just to lump all of that together under the more modern branding of Wicca. But it's a borrowed festival, not something exclusive to Wicca.

It frustrates me when people wash over the past with assumption rather than doing some very basic research. Like how so many Brits start ranting at this time of year that 'Halloween is an American import! Ban this filth'.

As opposed to accepting that it's really a British export and has been celebrated in some form since the Celts.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that they don't. But by suggesting this is a Wiccan festival it's like saying 'Here's this thing which people thought up and started celebrating a hundred years ago' as opposed to 'Here's a Celtic festival dating back to at least the neolithic period, which many people look at as the roots for what we know as Halloween'.

It's not a new thing. :) Quite the opposite. Samhain is OLD. Old World Pagan Old. :)

I have nothing against Wicca, but it does take take a fair chunk of it lore from a number of pagan sources and other schools of mysticism. Your average journo is pretty likely just to lump all of that together under the more modern branding of Wicca. But it's a borrowed festival, not something exclusive to Wicca.

It frustrates me when people wash over the past with assumption rather than doing some very basic research. Like how so many Brits start ranting at this time of year that 'Halloween is an American import! Ban this filth'.

As opposed to accepting that it's really a British export and has been celebrated in some form since the Celts.

All religions appropriate festivals and bits of previous beliefs.

The Wiccans are as entitled to do so as anyone else.

You'll be telling us Christmas is a pagan festival next! The very idea! Etc.

Back