• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Outbreak Of Mystery 'Bug Bites' (Arlington County, Virginia)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Authorities are investigating widespread bug bites that result in excessive inflammation and blistering.
Health officials probe mystery bug bites in Virginia county

Virginia health officials and insect experts are trying to determine the origins of mysterious bug bites being reported by residents of one county.

Locals in Arlington County said they have received what initially appear to be mosquito bites, but the bumps quickly swelled to much larger than what would normally be expected. ...

"It started to grow and it swelled, and then I was at work one day and I noticed that it was blistering" ...

The Arlington County Health Department said officials have been unable to identify the source of the bites ...

"The leading suspect at this point is something called a pyemote, which is a type of mite that likes to feed on cicada eggs, so they must be very happy with their food supply at the moment" ...

Samuel Ramsey, an entomologist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, agreed that pyemites are a likely culprit, but he couldn't say for certain that the reported bites all came from the mites. ...

Ramsey said some of the reported swellings could be from mosquitoes, skin infections or allergic reactions.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/07/30/Arlington-County-Virginia-mystery-bug-bites/4421627676085/

We're doomed.

Back