Over and out

A

Anonymous

Hello everybody,

Just a short note to say goodbye.

At extremely short notice I have been relieved of my role as editor of this fine web site.

After close to five years, during which time FT.com has grown to be a way of life for me, and, I sense, for several of you, the publishers of Fortean Times, IFG, have decided to permanently cut off my salary.

Why, I am not entirely sure, and perhaps they will explain, but as far as I know, they have no plans to develop the site, and there is no immediate replacement for me. Alistair will be doing a small amount of admin, but his time is already limited.

I shall probably get more involved in the Message Boards now that I have more time on my hands, but I will no longer be responding to FT-directed emails. I suggest that you direct any questions to the magazine's publishers.

I will, of course, continue to write for and support Fortean Times magazine - it remains one of the best publications on the planet - but my time looking after the web site is over.

So long, and thanks for making this the fine place that it has been.

Mark

oll_lewis

Justified & Ancient
Sorry to hear :sad: Your work has made this site and the MB Mark, I hope you manage to get a new job soon.

Seams IFG are getting rid of everyone whos made the mag(and site) great, this is in my opinion a very stupid thing for them to do.
I do hope Mr Sutton or some IFG high up bod will turn up an this thread and expliane IFG's odd behaviour to us, one also gets the fealing that Emerson's (SP?) days are numbered too :sad: (after all he's been with ft for a while).

Melf

Justified & Ancient
sorry to hear your going mate

i think the mag and the ftmb will not be far behind you
i thourght the new owners wernt going to change any think?

rynner2

Great Old One
I'm sure the other Mods will agree when I say how sorry I am to hear of the manner of your leaving, Mark. We'll try to keep the old place going, and it'll be good to have more of your contributions here.

Best of luck in the big bad world.

Timble2

Imaginary Person
Its been a great site...

Having lurked for quite a while, before signing up, I'd like to say you've done a great job with the site...we all feel bad about IFG letting you go.

ninja_cat

Abominable Snowman
Thats a shock! Good luck to you and cheers for the hard work.

Good points :)

shall probably get more involved in the Message Boards now that I have more time on my hands
I will, of course, continue to write for and support Fortean Times magazine
So at least we'll still be seeing you. :)

Dr_David_Sutton

Devoted Cultist
"I do hope Mr Sutton or some IFG high up bod will turn up an this thread and expliane IFG's odd behaviour"

Well, I'll try - as long as you never, ever confuse me with an "IFG high up bod"!

Firstly, let me say that I'm as sorry as you about the decision to take Mark off the website. Our publishers are currently looking hard at budgets, resources, structures and so on across all the titles they publish. In my experience, this usually means that someone's for the chop - and in this case the axe has fallen on the website. As far as I know, IFG are still committed to keeping the site going, and do seem to appreciate that the work Mark and Alistair have done over the years has made it into a special place, but have decided to bring it in-house to save money and free up resources for the magazine. You probably all know we're in the middle of redesigning and adding extra pages to the mag, and this has been proving a difficult process. I'm not clear as to IFG's exact plans for how we continue to run the site, except that it may fall to us to us (ie the mag team) to take on more of the work. Everything is up in the air at the moment and we are under a great deal of stress - Mark's departure is not exactly good news for us at this point, but I hope we can find a way forward from here.

By the way, don't think you've seen the last of the good Mr Pilkington by any means; Mark is still one of FT's contributing editors and will continue writing for the mag. He and I are currently busy thinking up some new ideas in that direction, so at least that's something to look forward to.

And I'd like to add my thanks to Mark for all the work he's done on the website - it won't be the same without him.

David

A

Anonymous

I'm really sad to hear what happened.

This has been, one of the best sites on the internet.

It also has the potential to be huge.Strange that the publishers can't see that. It makes me wonder how serious they about the magazine and title. Or perhaps it came with a bundle of other titles.

IMO they should be giving the editor a bigger budget and letting him formulate new plans.

So Mark Pilkington should be very proud of his work his work here. I wish I'd done anything half as good.

Made me learn a bit of php too seeing this site - which I'd never really thought about until I saw vbulletin.

lopaka

Justified & Ancient
Deeply disappointing, though at this point, perhaps not suprising. The most troubling aspect, for me at least, is that even if I were to agree with the reasons behind doing this, Mark seems to allude to the fact that the manner in which it was done was rather shabby. Sigh. Grimace.

Hope it somehow works out...for everyone.

BTW, for you wagering types, I'd give the over/under for the *Breaking News* section being updated again as June 15 or so.:(

A

Anonymous

dam is this the beggining of the end?

localy (Falmouth)we had Classic boat , the local owners sold it and the publishers moved it to Slough! and boy did it take a dive..... mark we may need u to start a new forum sometime so dont wander too far!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Sorry to hear about this, i cannot help but think it is symptomatic of something other than just restructuring but regardless, your hand behind the site will be missed.

TheHoodedClaw2

Junior Acolyte
Thanks Mark. You've done a great job here over the years.

What's next I wonder? Still, I trust the editorial team. They definitely seem to have the magazines best interest at heart. The publishers on the other hand...

A

Anonymous

Mark Pilkington said:
I shall probably get more involved in the Message Boards now that I have more time on my hands,
I hope so, Mark. Best of luck to you, and we hope to see you around.

A

Anonymous

Good luck to you sir, you've done a great job with the site. Don't let the fat cats get you down.

Ps. Do you own the published articles on the site? If so, maybe an independant initiative could be arranged?

_schnor

Abominable Snowman
TBH this situation will have zero effect on UNCON, it's merely a reshuffle of the mags organisation

mejane

Justified & Ancient
Best of luck, Mark, and thanks for all the hard work you've put into making the FT site and MB the most interesting place on the net.

I'm going to hold you to your promise to post more often;)

Jane.

Bullseye

Abominable Snowman
"Oh my God they killed Pilkington".........."You B**stards".......

Thanks for helping to make this site one of the best on the Web,(it's been my homepage for quite a while), best wishes, come back often, and once again thank you.

oll_lewis

Justified & Ancient
In the words of Mr Caine in the italian job "hang on lads I've got an idea" (or was it "don't worry lads" Darn it I can't remember)

In any case I have a plan, some of you will already know what it is but the rest of you watch your pm boxes and for any threads I start in the anouncements section over the next week or two.

*oll throws a smoke bomb onto the floor and is nowhere to be seen by the time the smoke clears...*

butterfly27

Ephemeral Spectre
All the best, Mark.
And it goes without saying that we're all indebted to you for the high standard of work you've carried out on the site.