• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ownership Of The Word 'Fortean'

A

Anonymous

Just curious really. To what extent do the publishers IFG own the word 'fortean'? Does anyone know?

At a guess, they don't have ownership/ copyright on the word Fortean as it stems from Charles Fort, through the Fortean Society and onwards. They do have copyright on the name "Fortean Times" though (at least I guess they do)

I think it was about a year ago that the forteantimes .co .uk domain ran out, IFG mags went to renew and the web hosters told them to bugger off as they now own the domain rights, hence why FT is not FT anymore, but is now FTmag .co. uk - the bastards stretched it out and the site/forums were down for about a month IIRC :/

So, in a sense the word Fortean is a brand name I suppose, and owns to whoever buys it...

I thought FT won that one and the host handed the domain name back? I'm logged onto forteantimes.com at the mo not ftmag?

Interesting, and you're quite right ninj - as I always figured that now ftmag was used, they lost the rights for FT but this url minus the mag bit works too, which I didn't know :)

I registered the company Fortean Ltd.

The intention was to secure this, because essentially through our forum, I have come to care and didn't want to see it ending up as unrelated.

It sits there doing nothing and at least safeguarded.

If anyone has a suggestion otherwise?

I registered the company Fortean Ltd. ...

Do you mean you registered the name as a corporate / business entity? Or might you mean you registered that as a domain name?

Those are two different registrations for two different purposes, and securing one doesn't accord any privilege with respect to the other.

Do you mean you registered the name as a corporate / business entity? Or might you mean you registered that as a domain name?
It's a registered company - Fortean Ltd., SC666284.

Most surprised it hadn't been taken and didn't want to see it ending up as being misused.

Any value to yourselves as an entity?

It was designed for something along those exact lines.

Obviously no cost involved, although you might consider waiving my forum membership fee for next year.

It needs something like this, even if simply remaining a dormant company.

It's yours if you want it.

Let's see ... Off the top of my head ... :thought:

The Troll's Head is already owned by [Indecipherable Runic Sigil] - "owned" in this case entailing a form of possession management claims is best left classified, whatever they may mean by that ...

I should think a reasonable next step would be to open up public discussion and debate over what a corporate entity entitled "Fortean Ltd." could or would declare and pursue as its line of business or service.

I should think a reasonable next step would be to open up public discussion and debate over what a corporate entity entitled "Fortean Ltd." could or would declare and pursue as its line of business or service.
A charible organisation - some scope there?

Would require funding... that is seriously achievable.

The financial 'start-up' assistance for a 'literary project', inspired by Fort's writing?

Who makes that decision though...

Too complex?

How about a....

:thought:

Next, please!

"Fort and his wife Anna endured desperate poverty, resorting to burning their furniture. Charles also burned his unpublished manuscripts, notes and thousands of newspaper clippings in moments of deep despair".

I am putting £20 in for starters.

My local food bank comes to mind.

Any objections, because I can't go ahead with this just on an impulse and incorporate 'Fortean'.

It would statedly be on behalf of Fortean Ltd. and betcha we can raise more funding.

There's only one company director so far - myself! - and needs others to meaningfully come onboard?

I'm lost ... I don't understand your most recent post at all. :dunno:

A charible organisation - some scope there?

Would require funding... that is seriously achievable.

The financial 'start-up' assistance for a 'literary project', inspired by Fort's writing?

Who makes that decision though...

Too complex?

How about a....

:thought:

Next, please!
With regard to funding - its very difficult to get, Charles Fort Institute tried. Not saying people shouldn't try but a lot of the things we are interested in are ignored by many funding bodies and some are so strict in their guidelines you suspect they almost had someone in mind when writing them.

We need one of us to win the euromillions lottery and slip some money to Fortean groups that way.

With regard to funding - its very difficult to get, Charles Fort Institute tried.
You need a 'hook', something which catches attention - that proverbial 'X factor'.

It's like distinguing your CV from 250 others applying for the same job.

Once I took a gamble and sent a CV for a coveted IT vacancy with the cover being a (royalty free) photo of someone screaming in despair at their computer.

I learned later that's what secured an interview and then a realistic chance, which resulted in success.

We need to be proactive and champion the inherent 'edge' from Fort's literature contributions over comparative funding applications?

I'm lost ... I don't understand your most recent post at all.
There sits a registered company, Fortean Ltd., which exists for suitable use.

If nothing at present, then absolutely fine, it will remain a dormant Ltd. company and unavailable for anything patently inappropriate.

The charity aspect came to mind as merely a suggestion for discussion and definitely now considered discarded.

Perhaps just let it sit there, safeguarded, with currently no obvious use and probably none in future, I would now conclude.

Back