• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Owzabout That Then? The Jimmy Savile Revelations & Aftermath

Without redoing the whole thread again, Netflix are getting flak and people are saying haven’t his victims suffered enough without this monster resurfacing again on a global streaming service. I’d probably say it’s a bit of a cynical grab of the morbid interest of Steve Coogan’s future BBC thing but that’s just my default cynicism.

Without redoing the whole thread again, Netflix are getting flak and people are saying haven’t his victims suffered enough without this monster resurfacing again on a global streaming service. I’d probably say it’s a bit of a cynical grab of the morbid interest of Steve Coogan’s future BBC thing but that’s just my default cynicism.
One didn't necessarily cause the other. For one thing each would take a while to get going so they wouldn't be ready at the same time, and for another the subject is still topical and of wide public interest.

Neither could I, in some indescribable way I found him revolting... it makes sense now, but I still can't say what it was exactly that revolted me about him when I was a kid.
Might it have been his controlling, over-familiar manner? As if he was openly grooming his victims.

I've read that Savile groomed the entire nation. Did Esther Rantzen say that? Whatever he was up to, it worked.

I've just watched the Netflix trailer; well, started it and listened while browsing because I can't bear to look at his evil face.

Apart from the first scene where he looks and sounds exactly like the bloke I know, whom I still suspect of being a relation of Savile.

He wasn't pleased when I asked him. Hadn't heard swearing like that in a while. :chuckle:

This video came up next, John Lydon speaking on Piers Morgan's Life Stories.

Lydon reckons he was banned from the BBC for talking about Savile and I believe him. The excuse was that he and the Pistols we unpredictable and might say rude things. Well, exactly.

CH5 have a new 3-part series on Famous Paedos starting next Thursday, 31st March.
It's called National Treasure, National Disgrace: Savile, Harris & Hall.

Can't find a trailer but it looks good.

What did all three of these offenders have in common? They were protected by the BBC.
Stuart Hall worked as a BBC local and sports presenter and is believed to have come up with the name 'The Beautiful Game' for football.

I'm wondering why Fred Talbot isn't included as he was nearly as prominent as Hall in the same TV region. Not BBC though.

Neither could I, in some indescribable way I found him revolting... it makes sense now, but I still can't say what it was exactly that revolted me about him when I was a kid.
Me too. I could never understand why a creepy weird old bloke was on Top of the Pops. Even as a kid it seemed repulsive to me to see him with his arms around young teenage girls. I liked in Detectorists when Andy unearths a Jim'l fix it badge and quickly tosses it over the hedge.

Me too. I could never understand why a creepy weird old bloke was on Top of the Pops. Even as a kid it seemed repulsive to me to see him with his arms around young teenage girls. I liked in Detectorists when Andy unearths a Jim'l fix it badge and quickly tosses it over the hedge.
Years ago, before Savile's death, we had a novelty Jim Fixed It For Me soap on a rope, done up like the badge seen on TV.
I eventually got sick of seeing the creepy item lying around the bathroom and flung it in the shower to wash my arse with, not forgetting of course to first carefully peel off the sharp foil plaque.

As it wore to a sliver Savile croaked and everything came out. I felt a pang of regret for wasting the chance to show my disdain by publicly defiling the soapy medal.
Had a nice clean bum though. :twothumbs:

Lydon reckons he was banned from the BBC for talking about Savile and I believe him. The excuse was that he and the Pistols we unpredictable and might say rude things. Well, exactly.

As l pointed out here three years ago, Lydon/Rotten seems to dine out on his “revelations” about Savile, and his supposed inside knowledge.

What he actually said was:

I’d like to kill Jimmy Savile; I think he’s a hypocrite. I bet he’s into all kinds of seediness that we all know about, but are not allowed to talk about. I know some rumours.” He added: “I bet none of this will be allowed out.

This…insight… was based solely on:

“[A noted blogger], who had researched Savile thoroughly, reported that:

"...when you drill down into the story, you find that [John Snow] was talking to an ageing punk rocker who had never met the man, never been on one of his shows, and based his opinion on having thought he had ‘funny eyes’ when he saw him on television as a child.” “

Hardly worth repeating, much less the damning evidence he professes to have had.

maximus otter

Might it have been his controlling, over-familiar manner? As if he was openly grooming his victims.

I've read that Savile groomed the entire nation. Did Esther Rantzen say that? Whatever he was up to, it worked.
I'm sure that I have said it before but even as a child he made me feel uneasy. My parents too. I got confirmation from a girlfriend's mate who was a TV presenter as a very young teenager. The nonce groped her off camera continously. I was told this in 1981. At risk of censorship I will point out that immediately after his death he had his defenders even here.

I'm sure that I have said it before but even as a child he made me feel uneasy.
Yes, I‘ve mentioned that before. I couldn’t bear watching him. He must have had powerful people hushing everything up because if you saw him these days his manner, his over-familiarity but without the fame surely people would just peg him as strange and best avoided at the least?

He did indeed groom the whole nation.
Have you all seen the YouTube vid of him and a very young Coleen Nolan, she is about 13 at the time. He is all over her ... Horrid beast he is.

CH5 have a new 3-part series on Famous Paedos starting next Thursday, 31st March.

What did all three of these offenders have in common? They were protected by the BBC.
Stuart Hall worked as a BBC local and sports presenter and is believed to have come up with the name 'The Beautiful Game' for football.

I'm wondering why Fred Talbot isn't included as he was nearly as prominent as Hall in the same TV region. Not BBC though.

Don't blame the BBC, they all worked for plenty of places that either turned a blind eye or never suspected anything untoward was going on. The offenders played the family entertainer card and it got them into lots of places and associated with all sorts of establishment figures (police, NHS, politicians, royalty). And the whole nation, aside from those who watch TV to slag off certain celebrities (OK, that's never gone out of fashion) were complicit. Because they were associated with a safe, cosy world of celebrity.

I notice there's a Mary Whitehouse documentary on BBC2 next week. There's a woman with a highly conservative outlook who never noticed horrendous abuse going on by her associates. I'd be very surprised if they don't mention it in the doc. A lot of the time it's just not expected, so... it's not ignored, exactly, it's just not picked up on at all. It is disturbing, but hindsight is 20/20 (and not even that in some cases).

Don't blame the BBC, they all worked for plenty of places that either turned a blind eye or never suspected anything untoward was going on. The offenders played the family entertainer card and it got them into lots of places and associated with all sorts of establishment figures (police, NHS, politicians, royalty). And the whole nation, aside from those who watch TV to slag off certain celebrities (OK, that's never gone out of fashion) were complicit. Because they were associated with a safe, cosy world of celebrity.

I notice there's a Mary Whitehouse documentary on BBC2 next week. There's a woman with a highly conservative outlook who never noticed horrendous abuse going on by her associates. I'd be very surprised if they don't mention it in the doc. A lot of the time it's just not expected, so... it's not ignored, exactly, it's just not picked up on at all. It is disturbing, but hindsight is 20/20 (and not even that in some cases).
That's a good point actually, Maybe people like Whitehouse were so incredibly naive, they couldn't even imagine That Kind Of Thing happening, so didn't see it, even when it was going on right next to them? My memory of the 70s is that grown ups were all either letches (as were many other kids and that point never gets made) or prim and naive, so the entire culture favoured the creeps, really.

Strangely, people seem to forgotten about Jonathan King. There must be something in the BBC canteen tea.

Strangely, people seem to forgotten about Jonathan King. There must be something in the BBC canteen tea.
Nobody cares about King. He had no power or influence and his offending wasn't hugely prolific.
Also, there's never been any controversy about his crimes. Nobody believes he's anything other than a creep.

This looks like an interesting book: Not my review!
In Plain Sight by Dan Davies
In Plain Sight: The Life and Lies of Jimmy Savile
by Dan Davies

What came over to me most strongly from reading this book was that JS was a hugely manipulative individual – cultivating the parents of young teenage girls so that they thought nothing of it when he went off on his own with their daughters. When the girls subsequently told their parents of the assaults they were not believed because JS was a friend and wouldn’t do anything like that.

Last edited:
by Dan Davies

What came over to me most strongly from reading this book was that JS was a hugely manipulative individual – cultivating the parents of young teenage girls so that they thought nothing of it when he went off on his own with their daughters. When the girls subsequently told their parents of the assaults they were not believed because JS was a friend and wouldn’t do anything like that.
I can't say that it's an enjoyable read, but it's essential if you've any interest in trying to understand the saga.

As l pointed out here three years ago, Lydon/Rotten seems to dine out on his “revelations” about Savile, and his supposed inside knowledge.

What he actually said was:

I’d like to kill Jimmy Savile; I think he’s a hypocrite. I bet he’s into all kinds of seediness that we all know about, but are not allowed to talk about. I know some rumours.” He added: “I bet none of this will be allowed out.

This…insight… was based solely on:

“[A noted blogger], who had researched Savile thoroughly, reported that:

"...when you drill down into the story, you find that [John Snow] was talking to an ageing punk rocker who had never met the man, never been on one of his shows, and based his opinion on having thought he had ‘funny eyes’ when he saw him on television as a child.” “

Hardly worth repeating, much less the damning evidence he professes to have had.

maximus otter
Where does John Snow come into it?

by Dan Davies

As I've mentioned before, in Savile's first autobiography he described negotiating with the police about 'keeping' a runaway girl overnight on condition he returned her in the morning. The female officer strongly objected but was overruled by the male.

Extracts were serialised on its release in 1974 in the Sunday tabloid my parents took and that incident was included. I read it, aged nearly 16, and it stuck with me, and I hope others also took note.

From The Guardian..

The day I thwarted Jimmy Savile: Mark Lawson on trying to stop Britain’s worst sex offender​

Hiding in plain sight … Jimmy Savile.

He was idolised by the BBC, adored by royalty, knighted by the state … yet he was one of the most prolific predators in history. As a new show reveals how Jimmy Savile got away with it, Mark Lawson recalls a lifetime of encounters with him – and their most shocking confrontation
Link to full article here.

I was just about to post this link - and what a shameful a truly damning piece this is for so many people, who should hang their heads in horror at what they allowed to happen.

But they probably won't.
I think a lot at the top knew what had been going on and maybe still is. Maybe they're part of it. Who knows?

What I find appalling is Saville in one interview, I can't remember which, called himself the 'ring master' yet no one publicly questioned it.

I admit I though he was this Good Samaritan who did so much good for worthwhile causes. It just goes to prove you cannot judge a person by how the media portrays them or into the present day, how some are portrayed now. There's no way of knowing. During the Louie Theroux (spelling) interview, he pointed to a caravan on a hill top and said that it where he takes 'them' and has 'his' evil wicked way with them. Or something like that. How did I not see what was obvious? Saville I sure also mentioned they cannot be heard screaming or something again, like that.

People talk about how conspiracy theories could be true. Here is a case where so many knew, yet he got away with it and for so many years despite so many knowing the truth. Including, dare I say it, those at the BBC.

Last edited:
Watched both parts of Jimmy Savile: A British Horror Story on Netflix.
Pt. 1 focuses on his rise to fame and how he carefully constructed his public image, which effectively gave him immunity to any criticism. He cunningly cultivated relationships with all sorts of celebrities - members of the royal family (including Princess Diana, Prince Charles, the Duke of Edinburgh and Fergie), the Pope, rock stars, politicians and top TV personalities. He made himself too big and ubiquitous for anyone to dare say anything against him.
Pt. 2 contains the appalling testimonies of some of his child victims, whose lives have clearly been horribly blighted well into their adulthood. Most tellingly though, in the immediate aftermath of Savile's death, when some victims finally thought it would be safe to speak out at last, the BBC, to its eternal shame, made it clear that they were only interested in broadcasting glowing tributes to Savile. Thankfully, the truth finally did emerge, thanks to the persistence of a few reporters, police and the courage of the victims. This should go some way to ensuring a similar predatory paedophile can never again "hide in plain sight". It was too late though for all of his victims, dating back to the late 50s, the final number of whom may never be known.
The most chilling bits were multiple clips of Savile on TV cracking jokes about doing unspecified things in girl's schools and using his oft-repeated catch phrase "my case comes up next Thursday". The public laughed along, not realising these weren't jokes, but was a paedophile publicly confessing to his crimes and, laughing to himself, knowing he would get away with them.
Well done Netflix for this most comprehensive exposé of Savile.
A shame though that it wasn't the BBC, which would have gone at least a little way towards atonement for their cover-up.

Shame that the creep died before he could be brought to justice, but it was probably his death that enabled people to come forward.

As far as atonement is concerned I don't know of a case where any authority has gone through this in the aftermath of revelations. The very worst culprits for this are the various religious bodies. The case I got involved in proved that authorities of any description could not give a ff.

Shame that the creep died before he could be brought to justice, but it was probably his death that enabled people to come forward.

As far as atonement is concerned I don't know of a case where any authority has gone through this in the aftermath of revelations. The very worst culprits for this are the various religious bodies. The case I got involved in proved that authorities of any description could not give a ff.

There will certainly be several celebrities, still around today, wincing when they see footage of them cosying up to Savile.
On the religious side, Savile apparently remained a staunch Catholic all his life and some of the Netflix footage shows him claiming that all his charity work was a way of building up some positive contingency for when he meets his maker.
As a Catholic, I wonder if he ever confessed his sins to a priest? The only priest we see in the documentary (not counting the Pope) is the one delivering the glowing eulogy at Savile's funeral.

There will certainly be several celebrities, still around today, wincing when they see footage of them cosying up to Savile.
On the religious side, Savile apparently remained a staunch Catholic all his life and some of the Netflix footage shows him claiming that all his charity work was a way of building up some positive contingency for when he meets his maker.
As a Catholic, I wonder if he ever confessed his sins to a priest? The only priest we see in the documentary (not counting the Pope) is the one delivering the glowing eulogy at Savile's funeral.
But if he did the seal of confession means the priest cannot repeat what they have heard during confession.
He was a Catholic and seemed to believe and he was obviously worried, to some extent at least, about going to a literal hell. I know it's not much but at least he lived his life in fear and if there is an afterlife we can hope he is in hell for all eternity.

Back