• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oxford 'Blair Witch'

sjwk0

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Someone has brought this page to my attention - an Oxford 'blair witch' style thing.

Basically, someone or some group has created a number of bird skeletons out of wood and attached them to trees at head height in a remote part of the University Parks. They look pretty real.

Be aware that the person creating the web page has not scaled the images down at all so it's a pretty slow download without broadband.

Bizarre (and nothing to do with me!)

Steve.

cool! I'll have to look out for that! You work pretty close to the parks, don't you? have you seen this stuff?

yep, and nope I haven't... I'll try and find time to go looking one lunchtime...

Steve.

looks like guerilla art to me, and slightly more imaginative than the "blindfolding the heads outside the sheldonian" staple of the surreptitious oxford artist. i think the bird skeletons are great; i should be in oxford in a couple of weeks so will try to check it out, hope they're still there.

Hopefully they'll still be there when you go, wolfie.

Saw them about two weeks ago, complete with an explanation pinned to the tree introducing said bird-skeletons as an art installation along the lines of the 'Barnacle Tree' -

In the Middle Ages it was said that a Barnacle Tree existed whose fruits matured into birds. In England it was said to grow at the edge of the sea and its fruits were barnacle shellfish. When these matured and fell off they split open, grew feathers and became Barnacle geese.

(quote from randomly googled http://www.gardenread.com/id25.htm)

Well worth a look if your'e in the area, and without a doubt a disconcerting sight on a sunday morning :)

(whoops! posted twice..! blame the dodgy internet connection..)

BUMP

Hi there Oxford people

Are these still around? I'm coming to Oxford at the weekend and wondered if I'd be able to photograph them . . .

cheers

Matt

Back