• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oysterfleet Farm/Canvey Island

Nemo

Go away, leave me alone, nemo is home
Oysterfleet Farm/Canvey Island

'In October, 1709, a gentleman from Maldon wrote a long letter to an acquaintance in London, describing "certain injurious pranks played by some restless, unhappy Goblins or Spirits, or else by the Prince of the Power of Air ... in the house of Master Jan Smagge, farmer, in Canvey Island." Most of the "pranks" occurred that September, but it was believed that they originated from events that had taken place in the 1670s.
At that time the house in question, which was named Oysterfleet Farm, was inhabited by a miser and his wife who over the years had managed to scrape together "a considerable lump of pelf”. Worn out by this "grovelling employ" the wife became ill in about 1675 and went to London to receive medical attention. She grew rapidly worse in the metropolis, however, and died soon after her arrival there. Just before her death she called the friends with whom she was staying and directed them to tell her husband that she wanted to be buried in Benfleet, where her dead children lay. The miser was duly informed of her wishes, but to save money he had her buried in town. He then returned to Canvey and resumed his niggardly existence, becoming ever meaner and more detested by his neighbours. He eventually died in 1779, very indignant at having to leave his hoard of gold behind.

(C) Alison Barnes had this article about Canvey's Haunted House published in the Essex Countryside in July 1977. It is very detailed and makes interesting reading. The building was demolished in 1973.

He then returned to Canvey and resumed his niggardly existence, becoming ever meaner and more detested by his neighbours. He eventually died in 1779, very indignant at having to leave his hoard of gold behind.

Just for the record ...

This "1779" appears in the linked webpage's text. Based on other contextual clues I think it's safe to presume it's a typo, and the miser died in 1679.

Blimey they had the full house of hauntings there.

It sounds like one of those incidents where stories get added over the years. Here's a couple to add, taken from comments below the article:

Hello I visited Oysterfleet farm a few times when I was in the cubs to do my badges. Mr and Mrs Bishop were the leaders. The current ghost story then was of a group of monks walking along the drive from the house to Denham road. Tony Bishop told this story quite effectively when we then all had to walk home in the dark.
When I was little my Dad used to tell me a story about the ghost of a Dutchman whose clogs could be heard banging around in the cellar at Oysterfleet Farm. However when I mentioned it to Tony Peck who used to live there with his wife and her family,the Bishops, he said there was no cellar there!

"certain injurious pranks played by some restless, unhappy Goblins or Spirits, or else by the Prince of the Power of Air ... in the house of Master Jan Smagge, farmer, in Canvey Island." . . ."a considerable lump of pelf”. . . "grovelling employ"
I just enjoy these descriptions so much. I may try to use "Goblins" and "pelf" more.

Just as a coinkidink, The Oysterfleet hotel was where i always used to stay in the nearly 15 years I had a contract (3 days a month) on Canvey island. It's also the spiritual home of Dr. Feelgood.

I enjoy that it's come forward as pelf and not pilf, but pilfer also exists from the same root

Back